Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 500Mbps homeplug slower than old 200?

Options
  • 31-10-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

So i was looking to increase the wifi signal upstairs and i decided to replace my old 200Mbps TP-Link with a newer set of 500s with a wifi repeater. I removed the old 200s from the sockets and installed the new 500s they paired up straight away and i tested them. My internet runs between 85-100 and with my old homeplugs i was getting 40-50 upstairs which was fine enough, but the new ones im lucky if im hitting 15!

I reset the router, and re-paired the homeplugs, and still no change.

Would anyone have any input on any fixes or would you think its a dodgey set?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

projectgtr wrote: »
    So i was looking to increase the wifi signal upstairs and i decided to replace my old 200Mbps TP-Link with a newer set of 500s with a wifi repeater. I removed the old 200s from the sockets and installed the new 500s they paired up straight away and i tested them. My internet runs between 85-100 and with my old homeplugs i was getting 40-50 upstairs which was fine enough, but the new ones im lucky if im hitting 15!

I reset the router, and re-paired the homeplugs, and still no change.

Would anyone have any input on any fixes or would you think its a dodgey set?

Thanks in advance

Have you got the latest firmware?
    Are they plugged directly into sockets , now muti plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you go from:

"200Mb" Wired Only
    to
    "500Mb" with wireless?

If so, test wired on the new set. If you can return the 500s I would anyway as 600s are part of the next generation while 500s are the same generation as 200s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Thanks for the replies guys
    irishgeo wrote: »
    Have you got the latest firmware?
    Are they plugged directly into sockets , now muti plugs.

Thats the first thing ive checked they are "BT Essentials Wi-Fi Powerline 500" and i cant seem to find any mention of a firmware upgrade on line, unless they are rebranded maybe :confused: , also they are plugged directly into dedicated sockets
    ED E wrote: »
    Did you go from:

"200Mb" Wired Only
    to
    "500Mb" with wireless?

If so, test wired on the new set. If you can return the 500s I would anyway as 600s are part of the next generation while 500s are the same generation as 200s.

Yes i went from 200 wired to 500 wireless but ive been tested them both wired directly with ethernet. Thanks for the heads up about the 600`s if i cant solve the issue ill return them and upgrade again. I just wanted to make sure theres not something im over looking , the house is fairly new so i dont see wiring being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I can't uncover who manufactures them for BT but they're just badging somebody elses. Chances are its a very budget unit (Eir paid cents for basic Devolos then changed brand).

I'm very happy with TP's units, DLinks were ok too. If I needed wifi I'd get TL-WPA8630KIT.

Advertisement