Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up (I hope)

• 01-11-2017 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hi all

Tomorrow (today now actually) is my quit date. I decided to get rid of the filthy, money leeching, breath taking yokes after 24 years!!

I have had enough and they are affecting my health but I'm so addicted - had my last cig (a roll up) at 11pm and still have a full carton of cigarettes and half a pouch of tobacco left over - I could've set a give up date for when I've smoked all them but I'm just so sick of being a slave to the smokes.

So wish me luck as I start on the road to breathing fresh air for a change - I know it won't be easy :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi OP, I've been off the smokes 13 weeks now, after 16 years of smoking.
    It can be done, believe me.
    I personally found it extremely easy but I'm definitely in the minority, I know that.

I didn't set a quit date; I didn't even plan on quitting. I just decided one afternoon I would try and quit BUT I did play a mental game with myself.

I told myself that I was free to smoke whenever I felt like (much like if someone's trying to lose weight, the worst thing to do is tell them they're on a "diet". You immediately make that person feel they're missing out on something or depriving themselves.)

So I told myself I'd just see how I'd get on over the evening and again, I was free to smoke if I wanted.
    I didn't get a craving for the whole evening and I think it's down to this little game I was playing.

I knew if I told myself I could never smoke again, I would instantly crave one.
    Anyway, I did buy a vape and I used it on a night out the following weekend but soon after, I didn't get any cravings so I quit using that altogether.
    I've been off the cigs and vapes ever since.

I get slight cravings sometimes but never enough to make me want to go back on them.

I don't wheeze when I'm lying down anymore; I am so much fitter...I can run on the treadmill now.
    I have saved €700 and I have "not smoked" 1120 cigs (according to the app on my phone).

Feeling so much healthier, no longer worrying about my cigarette breath and how I smell in general, saving all that money each week and being fitter beats any craving I might have.

I think giving up smoking is a mental fight more than a physical one.
    Try a vape, OP, or Nicorette or patches or something if you need it, OP, but remember, you can give up.

And life is pretty sweet without cigarettes, trust me.
    You'd never regret quitting but you'll regret ever starting.

Keep us posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Fussy Onion! - you give me hope! I'm taking the nicorette inhaler and it hasn't left my left hand all morning (Feeling slightly light-headed - but only pulled on it a couple of times)
    You are right it is a mental battle - I'm having lots of words with myself - the goal of feeling healthier is keeping me going - Had my last cig at 11pm last night - 12 hours without a smoke (but obviously slept through about 6 of them!!)
    :):pac:

You're doing extremely well Pretzill. Just keep thinking of all the benefits you are going to reap very soon. You'll start to smell things much better in a few days and wait til you hear yourself breathe.

I keep thinking of those people who die from smoking related illnesses and how they're struggling to breathe.

I spoke to a nurse before and she said it's horrific seeing patients trying to breathe.
    Keep going Pretzill!

Oh and I highly recommend the SmokeFree app...it's been a Godsend to me.

fussyonion wrote: »
    You're doing extremely well Pretzill. Just keep thinking of all the benefits you are going to reap very soon. You'll start to smell things much better in a few days and wait til you hear yourself breathe.

I keep thinking of those people who die from smoking related illnesses and how they're struggling to breathe.

I spoke to a nurse before and she said it's horrific seeing patients trying to breathe.
    Keep going Pretzill!

Oh and I highly recommend the SmokeFree app...it's been a Godsend to me.

I have had breathing problems for years (and I know I will get them after giving up too! It's the worst part - I gave up cigs for a year one time and got so sick - after a year I went back on them because it improved my breathing?)
    I know it doesn't make sense - I have seen people who never smoked having trouble breathing too - and to be honest though my major reason for doing this is for the good of my health - I could have done it years ago for the same reasons...

Smoking doesn't make sense in a lot of ways!!:P

I'm slowly getting through my first day - hopping between chewing gum and nicorette inhaler - I'm really tired too.

Day 1 down - which feels like an achievement! Had cravings and got quite grumpy too - also the Nicorette inhaler makes me feel zonked out of it and I haven't even taken much - but still 24 hours smoke-free and not feeling too bad at all :-)

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Day 1 down - which feels like an achievement! Had cravings and got quite grumpy too - also the Nicorette inhaler makes me feel zonked out of it and I haven't even taken much - but still 24 hours smoke-free and not feeling too bad at all :-)

I was exhausted in the days after giving up, don't worry, it's normal. Plus the Nicorette lists fatigue/tiredness as a side effect on their website.

Well done on completing day one, you're doing fantastically.

I used to like looking up the health benefits of giving up according to how long I'd been off the cigs. E.G What was happening to my body after 48 hours, etc. It really kept me going.
    When you start feeling better in yourself it will spur you on to keep going.

Don't get me wrong, there may be tough days ahead but keep your Nicorette to hand and keep focused on why you're giving up.

Any craving you get is temporary. It WILL pass. Distract yourself.
    For me, if I got a craving, I coloured (I'm big into adult colouring, lol) or read a few chapters in a good thriller. It's amazing how distraction can play a huge role in quitting.

Last but not least, write a list of pro's and con's to quitting if you start doubting your ability to give up.
    You'll see the pro's far outweigh the cons.

Keep going, Pretzill and keep us posted here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck. Hardest thing ever. I'm smoking/giving up 24 years. On week 6 now again. You can do it!

Tougher again for me, as I'm a tobacconist. Aaagh.

beertons wrote: »
    Best of luck. Hardest thing ever. I'm smoking/giving up 24 years. On week 6 now again. You can do it!

Tougher again for me, as I'm a tobacconist. Aaagh.

Well done, beertons, you're flying!

I keep looking at people out and about smoking and I don't envy them at all. I actually pity them because I know all the cons to smoking and I'm enjoying all the pros.

I'm big into fitness and smoking was holding me back all this time.
    The change in my lung capacity and ability is unbelievable.
    I don't recognise myself as a smoker. I actually can't believe I ever started.

Let's use this thread as a way of posting about our journey, if you like? (And if that's ok with the mods?)

Third day in and still smoke free - it's not as hard as I thought after all these years dreading giving them up - I feel like I've been set free a bit - the day is longer without smoke breaks but I think I was wasting a lot of time smoking!

Had a few glasses of wine last night and managed to fend off the big craving that came along with the alcohol - haven't been in the company of any smokers yet (that will be hard)

But so far, so good. Will check in again next week hopefully still off them!!

Third day in and still smoke free - it's not as hard as I thought after all these years dreading giving them up - I feel like I've been set free a bit - the day is longer without smoke breaks but I think I was wasting a lot of time smoking!

Had a few glasses of wine last night and managed to fend off the big craving that came along with the alcohol - haven't been in the company of any smokers yet (that will be hard)

But so far, so good. Will check in again next week hopefully still off them!!

Woo, day 3! You're flying!
    You have gone through a huge hurdle with the alcohol thing; if you're gonna crave a cig, it'll be then, but you came through!

I personally don't find being in the company of smokers a problem because the smell of the smoke is repulsive to me but if you think being in their company would tempt you, try and avoid their presence (beer gardens etc) for a while til you feel stronger mentally.

Really well done though, you are doing incredibly well and we're all here for you.

• Advertisement

Day 6 - Still smoke-free and had the dream that I smoked last night :D
    was disgusted but still managed to convince myself in the dream that I could have two a day :p -
    Was delighted it was just a dream!

1 full week today - still can't believe I'm off them - and really want to stay off them now :)

12 days off the smokes - cravings are lessening I think - oh but I'm eating way too much and believe me I can't afford to put on weight - hoping that I will be strong enough to cut back on the food and get more exercise in but being too good to myself at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Well done. Maybe with the eating thing,, try eating frozen raspberries or an apple or some carrot batons instead of the high calorie stuff. They might sound boring but your taste has probably improved since giving up and you might be pleasantly surprised at how nice they are. I find oranges good as you have to go through the whole peeling thing first. You'd have 3 or 4 biscuits eaten in the same time.

12 days off the smokes - cravings are lessening I think - oh but I'm eating way too much and believe me I can't afford to put on weight - hoping that I will be strong enough to cut back on the food and get more exercise in but being too good to myself at the moment. :)

Hey Pretzill, sorry I haven't replied sooner; you are doing SO well!
    Well done and huge congrats on 12 days.

You've come really far in such a short space of time.
    Don't worry too much about the food; you tend to replace your cig breaks with something and usually that's food, especially because you're looking for something to do with your mouth.

And there's no problem wanting to treat yourself but if you're getting concerned about it, maybe start introducing healthy snacks for yourself.

It might be crunchy apples or a banana, perhaps even sugar-free gum? For me, for the first week I found ChupaChups very handy.
    They last so long, give you something to occupy your mouth with AND your hand because you can twiddle the stick, lol.

As you feel healthier you'll want to exercise and wait til you see the difference in your breathing! It'll spur you on even more.

Anyway, the very best of luck as you carry on. Your cravings will lessen the longer you stay off them. And remember; there is NO reason or benefit to you to go back on the smokes. No reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The reality is its going to take many months for you to be free from nicotine addiction, in fact I think an ex smoker always needs to be on their guard

I say that as an ex smoker of 22 years off them since March last.

I still think about them but not as frequently

Keep it up OP

McCrack wrote: »
    The reality is its going to take many months for you to be free from nicotine addiction, in fact I think an ex smoker always needs to be on their guard

Keep it up OP

Not necessarily.
    I had my last cigarette on August 4th. Used a vape for about a week or two and I've been off both since then.

I rarely think about smoking and I know I will never smoke again because there is no reason to.
    I am not craving nicotine and stopped craving it very quickly after stopping.

Giving up cigs was the easiest thing I've ever done. It's all to do with your mindset.
    We're all different.

For how long did you smoke?

And how many?

For how long did you smoke?

And how many?

15-20 a day for 16 years.

Very unusual so. That wouldn't be the majority's experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I know you've probably been told this before but read Allen Carr's book on giving up smoking. It really helped me when I gave up. It's about changing your view of smoking from "giving up" something to pitying people who are enslaved by nicotine.

It's all in the mind! Keep it up!

Keep it up OP

Thanks McCrack

Oh I know - I'm smoking 24 years - I gave them up for a year before - early on - I was smoking about 5 years at the time - that was hard obviously went back on them became a heavier smoker.

I know people who say the same as you - kind of there will always be a craving - a weak moment - this time - I think - I hope - it's different - I was sick of smoking and it has been making me sick too - I don't ever want to smoke again - the cravings can do one!

I hope. I bloody hope :)

Not necessarily.
    I had my last cigarette on August 4th. Used a vape for about a week or two and I've been off both since then.

I rarely think about smoking and I know I will never smoke again because there is no reason to.
    I am not craving nicotine and stopped craving it very quickly after stopping.

Giving up cigs was the easiest thing I've ever done. It's all to do with your mindset.
    We're all different.

Fussy Onion
    So lovely to hear this - I'm reluctant to say I'm finding it easy but I'm finding it so much easier than I had expected. It is mindset but I also think it's you're mind realising it's time to stop - well done all of yee for staying off them!

Two weeks down and still smoke free.

Two weeks down and still smoke free.

Fantastic! You're smashing it.
    How are you feeling?
    Are you using a vape or gum or anything?
    Have you had many cravings?
    What do you do to distract yourself?
    Have you noticed your sense of smell more now?
    What do you think when you walk past a smoker?

I'm curious to see what you think as we're both giver-uppers!

Fantastic! You're smashing it.
    How are you feeling?
    Are you using a vape or gum or anything?
    Have you had many cravings?
    What do you do to distract yourself?
    Have you noticed your sense of smell more now?
    What do you think when you walk past a smoker?

I'm curious to see what you think as we're both giver-uppers!

I'm using the Nicorette inhaler. Only using 1 capsule per day and not even sure if I'm emptying the one - not taking it at the same time I took a cig really - a little blast in the morning - afternoon and evening - holding it if I get a bad craving. I contacted the hse quit.ie and they have rang me twice (this helps too) it reinforces the decision.

Distracting wise: the first week - eating anything!!- chewing gum - sugar-free mints - etc.
    Second Week - doing a little yoga - glass of water - walking the dogs -

The sense of smell is only returning today - not nice - getting odd pongs and odd smells around food - that is slightly putting me off- taste too - perhaps there are things I liked as a smoker I'm not going to like as a non-smoker.

Around smokers: Friend lit up in the car - ugh smell was manky!!

Biggest thing that is keeping me a non smoker: I'm an asthmatic (I know :rolleyes:) and I have a peak flow machine my PFT (that's the lung measurement of what you can blow, how you're lungs are functioning) has gone from a miserable (with inhalers, always at) 230 to 350 in just two weeks!! Now that's amazing - still not a great pulmonary function by normal standards but probably the best I've done in 15 years.

I'm still dreaming as a smoker - I like that :) enjoying the dreams!!

I'm using the Nicorette inhaler. Only using 1 capsule per day and not even sure if I'm emptying the one - not taking it at the same time I took a cig really - a little blast in the morning - afternoon and evening - holding it if I get a bad craving. I contacted the hse quit.ie and they have rang me twice (this helps too) it reinforces the decision.

Distracting wise: the first week - eating anything!!- chewing gum - sugar-free mints - etc.
    Second Week - doing a little yoga - glass of water - walking the dogs -

The sense of smell is only returning today - not nice - getting odd pongs and odd smells around food - that is slightly putting me off- taste too - perhaps there are things I liked as a smoker I'm not going to like as a non-smoker.

Around smokers: Friend lit up in the car - ugh smell was manky!!

Biggest thing that is keeping me a non smoker: I'm an asthmatic (I know :rolleyes:) and I have a peak flow machine my PFT (that's the lung measurement of what you can blow, how you're lungs are functioning) has gone from a miserable (with inhalers, always at) 230 to 350 in just two weeks!! Now that's amazing - still not a great pulmonary function by normal standards but probably the best I've done in 15 years.

I'm still dreaming as a smoker - I like that :) enjoying the dreams!!

Hey Pretzill!
    That's great that you're in contact with the HSE; they're meant to be very good at supporting and encouraging so it's great you made contact.

Well done on your peak flow results; that kind of improvement must be such a boost for you and real proof that you've done the right thing by quitting.

It's when you see the health benefits for yourself that you think "God, I really am improving". I noticed it with my running.

I could only run for about thirty seconds before I'd need to stop. Now I can run non-stop for 10mins. That might not sound much but for me that's a huge improvement. My goal is to run in the women's mini marathon and I know I will do it some day.

That's weird you mentioned you're getting odd smells round food; for the first two weeks I kept saying to my fella, whenever I walked into a room "Ugh what is that smell?" and he'd say "It's all in your head. There's no smell."
    But I'd get a whiff here and there of indescribable things and couldn't put my finger on what they were.

How did you cope with having a smoker in your car?
    Did you not ask him to wait til you were out of the car?
    I'd think that very inconsiderate if I was giving up!

Aha, the dreams!
    I still have dreams where I smoke.
    Recently I dreamt I lit up even though I knew I'd quit. I lit the cig, took a drag and thought "Oh no what have I done?"
    I woke up and was so relieved it was all a dream.
    I've had similar dreams since then; all with me smoking even though I knew I'd quit but the relief when I wake up!

Re: your inhaler. You keep doing whatever's working for you.
    I found with my vape, I was barely using it.

There were times when I needed it but that need disappeared fairly quickly. Still, it was comforting to know it was there if I needed it and even now, with me being smoke-free for 15 weeks and vape-free for almost 13 weeks, I still like knowing it's there if I suddenly get a craving.

Hope you have a great weekend and keep us posted on your journey!

24 days and still off them. Still can't believe it. Losing my voice though, not a sore throat, Just hoarse - anyone ever get that?

24 days and still off them. Still can't believe it. Losing my voice though, not a sore throat, Just hoarse - anyone ever get that?

Yes I got hoarse for about a week but it passed soon enough.
    24 days: what an achievement, really well done!!

I'm off them 16 weeks today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

I woke up this morning and decided to give them up myself. I've tried several times over the past 7 years. Started smoking in school at the age of 14 and now 37. Damage is probably already done but i'm starting back into running etc and want to give myself every chance at living a healthy life.

Thought it might help to document my progression on here as a goal for myself.

I've never made it past 5 days before.

Sick of the smell of cigarettes and also sick of staying outside smoking at bars etc.

Advertisement