Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks for cleaning out my bank account

Options
  • 01-11-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I apologise but I'm very stressed and angry right now. I don't mean to take it out on you guys

Original post: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057786951

Brief recap:
    On September 14th barely 2 months after moving into to my apartment I recieved an estimated bill for 223 euro. Thinking this was a little high (I'm a seperated man living alone) I went to take a meter reading and discovered that the meter was registering 4500 KW higher than the esitmate. I reported this immediately and my bill went from 223euro to 975euro. I was assured repeatedly by Electric Ireland that the direct debit on my account was frozen and that as long as I kept them informed about the effort to find the problem and as long as I made regular payments to prevent a build up of arrears it would remain frozen. This I have done both here on boards and numerous times by phone. On top of the 175 credit I received when I opened the account, I have made 3 payments of 50 euro over the last 6 weeks the most recent yesterday morning. I should be in credit right now.

This morning I discover that 700 Euro has been take from my account for electricity I DID NOT use and is under investigation. I was advised by most of my friends and family when this started that I should cancel the direct debit to stop this from happening but foolishly thought that because I was clearly not responsible for this mess, was actively engaging with you, and entirely dependent on my landlord to carry out his part that you guys would not claim the money until a reason for the excess usage was identified. Now my account has been emptied, I can't pay my rent which was due today. I have no money to live on for the next 2 weeks.

Is there anything fair about this?

Is this really the way you guys do business?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Anna

Hi Witchy.ie, 

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness. 

Can you please send us a private message with the following details:
    • Your full name as it appears on your Electric Ireland account
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (Yes/No)

We will then get back to you as soon as we can. 

Thanks, 
    Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Ring your bank and order a chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Witchy.ie

I've been in touch with Electric Ireland telephone helpline and they have given me the details to request a refund from my bank, now I have to take time off work to go and fill in a form in the branch and hope that it doesn't take more than a few days to refund the money.

• Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Anna

Hi Witchy.ie, 

We are online until 6pm today, please let us know if we can assist you any further. 

Thanks, 
    Anna

The 700 euro was refunded this morning. Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Witchy.ie,

Thank you for letting us know - we're glad to read it.

Did the telephone advisor put a hold on your direct debit again? If you wish, private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number, state that you are the account-holder and confirm your address and date of birth. A direct debit hold needs to be renewed after a certain point, as we are unable to put an indefinite lock on it. When we review the account, we can advise as to when to contact us again to renew the direct debit hold.

Best regards,
    Una

ESB Networks engineer has just left. He did several tests and the meter was running 860% faster then it should have been. He installed a new meter and you guys should have his report tomorrow. Hopefully this is the end of this nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Witchy.ie,

Thanks for your post - we are glad to read that the source has been found.

The ESB Networks engineer's report will go to Billing first, for them to recalculate the usage and make the relevant adjustments to your bill. You will be advised by letter in due course.

In the meantime, we recommend topping up the account when you can. While the matter is being looked into by ESB Networks and Billing, your bill or bills may continue to include the original amount initially. Contact us here in Social Media Customer Care whenever this happens and we can put a hold on the balance to prevent automated reminders.

If you would like us to check the account for you today, to see whether a hold has been put on the balance to prevent automated reminders, just private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder and confirming your address and date of birth.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement