Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a new iMac

• 01-11-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi Folks

The time has come to replace my existing Late 2011 21.5 iMac, it is suffering from a graphics glitch, every now and then I experience the problem in the image below, sometimes resulting in a complete freeze, requiring a hard reboot.

VMware_Fusion_Graphics_Glitch.png

I also had this model in work which suffered the same fate in 2014, it was replaced by a mid-2014 iMac and I got a Lightning cable to use the old iMac as a second display, it still works as such today.

I am looking at buying the middle option of the current 21.5 iMac offerings, but here are my questions:

1. Should I up the RAM to 16Gb (+€225), I find my work 2014 iMac with 8Gb really slow to launch applications, but this might be a storage access issue?

2. Which Storage option should I go for
    a) the Fusion Drive (+€113) only has 24Gb SSD
    b) the 256Gb SSD is another €225 (I would need external storage as well with this)
    c) is it viable to go for the SATA drive and boot the OS from an external SSD?

Intended use is - general web browsing, some work stuff (Java/NetBeans/SQL Developer), would really like to do some photo editing (Photoshop/Gimp/Darktable), probably not any video stuff.

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

David

Comments

Advertisement