Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions wanted

Options
  • 01-11-2017 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi looking at getting a Savage Axis .223

Looking for peoples brutally honest opinion on it.

Dealer offering me gun mounts and a 3x9x40 Bushnell for 800€

Is this good value ?

Thanks in advance for reply’s

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Don't walk away ..................... RUN !

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

Can you elaborate hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Ya can't beat a cz, or at least thats the way it used to be.

Have CZ 455 .17 HMR and i love it ! Never misses a beat! Only complaint I would have is it’s a Varmint Barel and a Thumbhole Stock so it’s not much unlike myself in being a tad on the heavy side! Looking for a light rifle in .223 for foxing

Cz do .223's with light barrels and short actions.

http://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/kulovnice/cz-527-synthetic.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

CZ455Mad wrote: »
    Can you elaborate hahaha

You'll get better for your cash eg cz, ruger or remmington and that scope is prob on ebay for £20.

Yah he is offering me a CZ 527 ( don’t quote me on the 527) for similar enough money but it’s a timber stock and I find it a bit heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

Yah he is offering me a CZ 527 ( don’t quote me on the 527) for similar enough money but it’s a timber stock and I find it a bit heavy!

If it's heavy in the shop it will only get heavier when you add a mod and scope. Howa also make a very nice rifle, i saw a second hand one going for similar money no so long ago.

Whats the ruger american like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

I have a savage axis in 243 for deer no problems at all it preforms very well in the feild

• Advertisement

If it's heavy in the shop it will only get heavier when you add a mod and scope. Howa also make a very nice rifle, i saw a second hand one going for similar money no so long ago.

That was my thought exactly! The howa 1500 looks like a nice rifle doesn’t seem to be any around my area

That was my thought exactly! The howa 1500 looks like a nice rifle doesn’t seem to be any around my area

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A chap I know here in Cavan has a Howa 1500, and must be approaching that number of foxes taken with it over the years. Highly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hi looking at getting a Savage Axis .223

Looking for peoples brutally honest opinion on it.

Dealer offering me gun mounts and a 3x9x40 Bushnell for 800€

Is this good value ?

Thanks in advance for reply’s

Bushnell Banner I take it ?

If I were you I'd look for a good 2nd hand CZ and spend as much as you can afford on a good scope and mounts. There must be cartloads of good 2nd hand rifles out there. If looked after a .223 is good for thousands of rounds before you even need to consider barrel wear. The CZ's are maybe not the snazziest of rifles but they're extremely reliable and far more accurate than the average shooter will ever be able to shoot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

800 euro is to steep for a savage axis package deal i paid 600 for the same package i ended up selling it the stock was as flimsy as paper that's the only bad thing with them rifles other than that it shot most 223 ammo very well.

Advertisement