Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stomach issues..

• 01-11-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

So basically the last month i've been having bad pain in my stomach, my Doctor has put me on gastro resistant tablets which has helped alot, he reckons my stomach was creating too much acid. Anyway everything was starting to look okay on two occasions over the last 2 weeks my stomach has become upset where it would cramp, cause discomfort and a bit of constipation. Takes about 2 days to fully recover. On both those occasions i had a few pints he night before (about 4/5 so not a huge amount) so i'm thinking i might need to take a food allergy test as it does seem to be a reaction to something.
    I'm 40 and i've never had any problems before with digestion but this is getting a bit annoying.
    The tests look to be quite expensive so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Had similar. Took almost a year to convince my doctor to send me for Gastroscopy (public). When I sent in the referral, I was done in a couple of weeks.
    They discovered polyps and further down the tract, some 'inflammation' of the gut. Immediately I was asked if I am coeliac, and I said I didn't know, so they took a biopsy.(apparently that's the only way to accurately diagnose coeliac disease).
    nothing was found so I was put back on high strength Nexium, (I had stopped taking them myself, as the symptoms had eased beforehand) and since then the problem is 99% gone. Yes , alcohol definitely exacerbates it, so I avoid spirits and wine - they're real killers for me. Wine with food seems to be ok.

My symptom was severe burning/cramping in upper left abdomen. Google told me I had multiple fatal conditions, so I really pushed the old doc for further investigations. I think they must be under some sort of instruction to NOT use Public Services unless the patient is in imminent danger of death. I did get a letter and went private for ultrasound scan in Santry. About 250€ if I remember correctly. Found nothing, but at least I was able to rule out all the things Dr Google said I had.

Finally, I think stress is probably a big factor. Anyone else would look at me and say "what have YOU got to be stressed about?", but I figure these people wouldn't give a flying *** about things that matter to me.

Sorry for the long me,me, me story :D. Hope it gives some kind of enlightenment and perhaps some ideas for the way forward. Avoid Dr Google if its not too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Yeah agree with Dr google, it would actually give you stress.
    If it keeps up i guess i'll go back to the Doctor, he gave me a repeat prescription on the tablets so maybe i'll see out them and if no improvement go back. I actually felt fine Tuesday morning even after a few drinks but then had breakfast and during the day it got really uncomfortable, feels like i'm full of wind and i'd love a massive fart or poo but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Yeah i've just started with the probiotics. I'm hoping it's not alcohol related....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

Yeah true, i'm doing my best to give it a chance to recover. I've only drank on 2 occasions in 2 weeks, the first time i had 2 whiskeys and my stomach was pretty sore the next day so i'm going to knock that on the head for a while.
    It's mad the way this can just come on you, i've never had an issue before and i eat pretty healthy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Keep an eye on stress levels too. Stress can affect the GI system a lot.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Keep an eye on stress levels too. Stress can affect the GI system a lot.

Cheers for that because that has entered my head lately, i'm usually a very easy going person but lately sh!te has got in on me, money and worried about young kids etc..

Advertisement