Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galwegians rugby grounds to be sold for high-density housing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any data collected about the amount of pedestrian traffic at the various lights on the Dublin Rd, and what effect on traffic flow it might have if the lights didn't have to allow for pedestrians?

Your addressing the wrong issue. Pedestrians are the most efficient mode on this corridor, followed by buses, then cyclists and last and if this was a race they would be essentially lapped by all the other modes comes the private motor car. Want to improve car traffic flow - remove cars.

Your addressing the wrong issue. Pedestrians are the most efficient mode on this corridor, followed by buses, then cyclists and last and if this was a race they would be essentially lapped by all the other modes comes the private motor car. Want to improve commuter flow - remove cars.

Fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

great news for Galwegians.
    A new location outside the city will allow them provide proper facilties for all their teams from minis, youths boys and girls teams, mens teams and ladies teams.

Wonder where they may try look for a new grounds and how that could affect other clubs...
    Of the other city rugby clubs. Boys Club are in the sportsground and only field 1 team at adult level so a move by wegians wont affect them.
    If Galwegians moved to the west side of the city it could affect NUIGs youth academy which had been set up as no club catered for kids on the west side of the city with only options being wegians or corinthians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Webbs wrote: »
    Why is it prioritising car traffic? It is allowing a two way flow cars one way pedestrians the other?

Its fairly common practice in the UK to have pedestrian over and under passes across roads and is positively received by all users.
    As one of those users I can definitely say that is not the case. The only thing positive you can say about them is that they are better than no pedestrian crossings at all but they are much less desireable than crossings at surface level. Overpasses and underpasses attract anti-social activity and often stink of p!ss and provide an enclosed space conducive to muggings. They are also just a pain in the arse for anyone pushing a buggy or with limited mobility (including older people who have trouble with steps, not just wheelchair users).

If you force people to use underpasses/overpasses you are discouraging walking as a means of getting around so it is effectively prioritising car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

As one of those users I can definitely say that is not the case. The only thing positive you can say about them is that they are better than no pedestrian crossings at all but they are much less desireable than crossings at surface level. Overpasses and underpasses attract anti-social activity and often stink of p!ss and provide an enclosed space conducive to muggings. They are also just a pain in the arse for anyone pushing a buggy or with limited mobility (including older people who have trouble with steps, not just wheelchair users).

If you force people to use underpasses/overpasses you are discouraging walking as a means of getting around so it is effectively prioritising car traffic.

overpasses have to be ramped not steps now, only older ones are steps. But I do agree about the underpasses and there was no way they would be put in in galway anyway.
    All I am suggesting is to think a little different see what other places do and try something. In an ideal world we could all walk or cycle to work but that just isnt realistic as things currently are and any change is going to be slow unfortunately. Thats not to say change shouldnt happen especially as far as public transport goes which is woefully inadequate and far too expensive.

• Advertisement

overpasses have to be ramped not steps now, only older ones are steps. But I do agree about the underpasses and there was no way they would be put in in galway anyway.
    All I am suggesting is to think a little different see what other places do and try something. In an ideal world we could all walk or cycle to work but that just isnt realistic as things currently are and any change is going to be slow unfortunately. Thats not to say change shouldnt happen especially as far as public transport goes which is woefully inadequate and far too expensive.

I take your point about looking at others but given the ****e state of UK commuting it's preferable to look at much more successful examples i.e. Holland, Portland etc.

One of the few good examples in the UK is Oxford and that's primarily down to the council there making it difficult to drive into the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

overpasses have to be ramped not steps now, only older ones are steps.
    Ramps are still a pain with a buggy or for older people who struggle on steeper inclines. And some of the overpasses I've seen have had steps combined with lifts (often out of order and stinking of p!ss).
    But I do agree about the underpasses and there was no way they would be put in in galway anyway.
    But surely if you think encouraging walking and cycling should be the ideal, and you agree changes are necessary, then it would make sense to advocate changes that move things closer in that direction rather than further away from it?

Advertisement