Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods and exercising

Options
  • 01-11-2017 12:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody used the AirPods while exercising? If running for example, will they stay in your ears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

The few times I’ve used them during a run, I’ve had no problems with them falling out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you did the same with wired ones would they stay in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Rew wrote: »

The Apple wired ones don’t stay in as gravity is also pulling on the wire as well as the tension of wherever the wire is wound. Now the earphones may not fall out of the ear but they may become loose affecting sound quality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I've just done a full gym session with my pair .. first time using them in the gym. No problems whatsoever with them. I was doing quite a few deadlift reps, good mornings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Use them regularly in the gym,.....skipping running,burpees,u name it!

Never fall out,

Tested to capacity one time by doing a somersault on a bouncing castle,(1 fell out!)
    Never bothered with EarPods prior to the airpods!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Think ill have to cut the cable off an old pair and see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Rew wrote: »

No. The AirPods are way more secure. I guess the wire was the problem all along!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Use it all the time while running no issue at all.
    They do get bit sweaty though so make sure to give a quick wipe before putting back in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I’ve been using them while running for a few months and they are very secure (at first it is difficult to believe they won’t fall off but they don’t). Also probably one the most comfortable option you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’ve struggled to find a pair of Bluetooth earphones that stay in my ears while running. The last pair were the closest I’ve found but they stopped working after less than six months. Current Anker ones are no good.

I’d probably fork out for the AirPods if I knew they’d stay in but I can’t imagine they would. The W1 chip is really a huge benefit to these too.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    I’ve struggled to find a pair of Bluetooth earphones that stay in my ears while running. The last pair were the closest I’ve found but they stopped working after less than six months. Current Anker ones are no good.

I’d probably fork out for the AirPods if I knew they’d stay in but I can’t imagine they would. The W1 chip is really a huge benefit to these too.

If you can get them with an option to return them if they don't work for you they are really worth a try.

I had the same issue as you with no earphones sticking in my ears properly, and they AirPods are the first ones I have zero complaints about from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I've had good success with keeping them in during actual running, where the wired style would fall out on anything speedier than a brisk walk. Very impressed with them overall! One of the best things I've ever used. So convenient to be able to put the phone down and wander around the house and still get sound.

The distance you can get between the phone and airpods is seriously impressive, too (fair warning that with a computer it's a little lacking, though). I would definitely recommend for exercise with a phone— and if you also have the Watch, you can use that for controlling the sound (next song/volume/etc.) which makes it a really super combination. Stow the phone and don't worry about it again until you get home. I'm really happy to have mine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My AirPods arrived today. Will be testing them on a run at lunchtime!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mine are in the list of "how did I even get out of bed before I had these?" things.

They just work. With no wires.

Back from a 5k outdoor run. Very impressed. They definitely stay in your ears. It took a bit to get used to, I had to resist to urge to try adjust them in my ear.

The test was late in the run when I jumped up a step and one of them moved slightly in my ear. Felt like it *could* fall out but I resisted all urge to touch it and it stayed in place for the rest of the run!

Sound quality is great for an in ear headphone and as Apple don’t use those useless headphone cups to block off your ear you don’t have the annoying sound of hearing your feet hit the ground to deal with. :)

My only gripe is that when using the Nike+ Running app on my Apple Watch, I can’t work out how to adjust the volume using the watch without affecting my run tracking.

I do agee with dades comment above though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

faceman wrote: »
    My only gripe is that when using the Nike+ Running app on my Apple Watch, I can’t work out how to adjust the volume using the watch without affecting my run tracking.

Yeah, that's a problem with the Watch, all right. I've found that sometimes (sometimes!) if you double-press the crown it will bring back up the music control screen, but it doesn't seem to work consistently.

I've got OS4 on a Series 0, hoping to upgrade to a cellular Series 3 soon. Wonder if it's any better on the newer Watches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Reopening this for a question: What’s the best way to try out the AirPods for how well they fit in your ear? Ask in a store?

I only wear earphones as in ears never work for me whether it’s exercising or just walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Reopening this for a question: What’s the best way to try out the AirPods for how well they fit in your ear? Ask in a store?

I only wear earphones as in ears never work for me whether it’s exercising or just walking.

They’re almost identical fit wise to the pack in buds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Also, do you know anybody who has a pair that you can try?

I have ran with them and find the airpods a better fit than the wired version as I often had one that fell out.

They’re almost identical fit wise to the pack in buds.

I guess it depends on how you define “fit”.

The shape is indeed pretty much identical so if for some reason the wired buds hurt someone’s ears because their shape prevent proper insertion in the ears, it is likely the same problem will exist with the AirPods. But I would argue the lack of wire constantly dragging then down dramatically changes the actual fit.

I never liked the wired buds as they would constantly fall off my ears even with just light movement. But I would go running with the AirPod with 100% confidence that they won’t fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Wired ones never stayed in my ears. I run quite a lot and never have any issues with the Airpods. I ran the Rotterdam Marathon last year and used some surgical tape with them on that day as I knew there would be a lot more excessive sweating for the marathon and had no problem on the day along with my watch and no phone. Best investment I have made for exercise so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

will airpods work just as good with android phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

zweton wrote: »
    will airpods work just as good with android phone?

I'm using mine with a mate 20pro and no issues whatsoever.
    Even connects as soon as I pull them out.
    I've the gen2 ones btw... I know the gen1 needed to be repaired I think as I used to have to do that with my shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

got the gen2 the other day while on holidays, love them so far. Just bought the silicone tips for them on amazon to give them that little bit of snugness. Will be trying them in the gym soon and for running which was the main reason for buying. Buy teah love them so far very convenient and pair straight away out of the case:)

Advertisement