Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hebron Park, St Kierans Crescent, Kilkenny

• 01-11-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello!

First time boards.ie poster here.
    Just wondering if anyone with good knowledge on the subject could let me know what Hebron Park, St Kierans Crescent and the surrounding areas in Kilkenny are like to live in?
    Having drove in and out a few times I get the sense they’re fine. There seems to be mature and quiet parts, with well kept and nice gardens, flowers etc, everyone just going about their day.

Reason I ask is that quite a number of Kilkenny people have advised us against the area, citing antisocial behaviour, a bad reputation, and all the normal negativity you’d expect when people discuss so called bad areas.

My suspicions are that those opinions and views are predetermined and exaggerated. My instinct tells me the area mostly fine with perhaps a nice community spirit to it too (great pride in the neighbouring o’loughin’s gaa club I gather, I saw many around wearing the tracksuit top).
    But I do appreciate that there are perhaps pockets of the kinds of issues expressed to me by others.

If anyone here who knows the area well and can fill me in further I’d really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

To buy or rent ?

I would not recommend buying, there is no chance the value will increase

Other than that it is hard to give you a clear answer - these are essential PUBLIC housing projects . I know people in both the estates you mention.

St Kierans Crescent is newer. Each would have a poor reputation regarding antisocial behaviour, criminal behaviour, drug use (some of this is not just " what I heard") at the same time there is a good community spirit to a degree.

I know people in both estates you mention, for each estate I know people who have jobs, work hard, are fine people, and others who I am not sure ever worked , who are part of a social welfare culture, and would have some of the antisocial issues I mentioned

It depends what you are looking for , and for how long you plan to live there (e.g. St Kierans Crescent might be a good place to rent etc to save to buy later)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

Having lived in the area for approx 30 years i can say its a good community and like every community its not perfect, but go to any estate private or otherwise you will meet the same problems, most of the houses are owner occupied so i dont know where previous poster got social housing from,Hebron Park are well built local authority houses (mostly purchased at this point) and Kierans Crescent are newer wood frame houses, the areas are well kept and drug issues are small, dont know where the criminal element is he writes about, maybe he shouldnt pass comment if he isnt resident in either, I would recommend either Estate as a resident and "local" hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Its a discussion forum - people are allowed pass comment

Maybe people should not comment on what they do not know, as indicated in my post I commented on what I DO know

I've substituted the term "public housing" for "social housing" I would not get into the pedantics of the differences

Criminal behaviour I referred to is with personal knowledge; it could also be noted form trawling through court cases as published in Kilkenny People" and elsewhere

I would not think I gave a biased view of the area , I references both positives and negatives - I really only replied to the poster in case he was unaware of the area. i.e. if Kilkenny in general. IN the past I know of people who rented in different places around Kilkenny , unaware of what they were getting into . Equally some of the more troubled areas in town move on from that, very often with great efforts form the community in general.

I have friends and acquaintances in each of the estates to the side and back of the cemetery, so you gave a residents view point, I gave a non resident , but Kilkenny locals viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrfool35

Thanking you both for taking the time to comment!
    Much appreciated and definitely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 I pay my way

Take care before buying there, some people are OK but there's a lot of antisocial problems with youths and vandalism so beware... the houses are OK but I wouldn't recommend the neighbors...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Lots of prostitution going on in those estates so id stay well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Did you buy in the end op?

Advertisement