Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance needed in compiling assignment briefs

Options
  • 01-11-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I am new to teaching and have landed a great role teaching adults in a PLC. My speciality is Psychology but I’ve worked in Social Care settings too. As much as I love the post I am concerned about my lack of training and guidelines when reading and interpreting the module Descriptors. I am to now outline assignment briefs for the following subjects and would welcome any support or direction on finding a sample or help in compiling them...Boundary Management (L6) Disability Awareness (L6) and Mental Health Awareness (L6). Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There are a number of ways you could approach this.

I would suggest you get hold of the assessment breakdown - is it all Continuous Assessment, or is there a final exam? If so, what percentage for each?

Say it's a 40% CA and 60% exam breakdown, when do these happen? The exam is most probably at the end of the term/semester/year, so that leaves you 40% during the term/semester/year. You don't want one big high-risk assessment during the semester, so can you break that down into 2 x 20%?

Now that you have the weighting, you need to figure out what kind of assessment the 2 x 20% might take. One could be an essay/report, the other might be broken down further into 2 x 10% multi-choice questions (in my opinion, anything more than 10% for MCQ is bad practice. But that's just my opinion).

Remember, there are many, many ways to assess - it doesn't have to be limited to MCQs and reports. Talk to other instructors and see what they are doing. I've used videos before, where students had to make a 3-minute video using Microsoft Movie Maker (free software).

And of course any assessment has to be fair, valid, reliable and give the student ample opportunity to get a good mark. So you will have to give them the marking scheme with the assessment brief.

I could go on. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Usually QQI module descriptors are very specific about assessments. They definitely specify the type and weighting of each assessment type. My module descriptors are clear on what content is to be covered by assessments. Also the general descriptor is constant but each provider can have a more specific descriptor for their centres - my ETB has its own more specific versions of the descriptors. There is some flexibility in interpretation though - for example the Skills Demonstrations for the Science modules I teach don't specify the exact experiments, just what skills/knowledge should be assessed.

If you are in an ETB centre I recommend getting in contact with someone teaching these modules in another centre. Try get access to fess.ie if you can too - if you're not in a private provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Psychteach

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    There are a number of ways you could approach this.

I would suggest you get hold of the assessment breakdown - is it all Continuous Assessment, or is there a final exam? If so, what percentage for each?

Say it's a 40% CA and 60% exam breakdown, when do these happen? The exam is most probably at the end of the term/semester/year, so that leaves you 40% during the term/semester/year. You don't want one big high-risk assessment during the semester, so can you break that down into 2 x 20%?

Now that you have the weighting, you need to figure out what kind of assessment the 2 x 20% might take. One could be an essay/report, the other might be broken down further into 2 x 10% multi-choice questions (in my opinion, anything more than 10% for MCQ is bad practice. But that's just my opinion).

Remember, there are many, many ways to assess - it doesn't have to be limited to MCQs and reports. Talk to other instructors and see what they are doing. I've used videos before, where students had to make a 3-minute video using Microsoft Movie Maker (free software).

And of course any assessment has to be fair, valid, reliable and give the student ample opportunity to get a good mark. So you will have to give them the marking scheme with the assessment brief.

I could go on. :D
    Hi Tom
    Thank you for your reply.
    Ok so I have been give the Descriptors and am currently trying to be creative as well as fair in how I assess each module. I found talking to other teachers help but they are up to their eyes as you can imagine.
    Reading your post I released I was anxious about cementing an assignment brief as I will be assessed on this in May. But I’ll take your points on board and get cracking. Thanks again

Usually QQI module descriptors are very specific about assessments. They definitely specify the type and weighting of each assessment type. My module descriptors are clear on what content is to be covered by assessments. Also the general descriptor is constant but each provider can have a more specific descriptor for their centres - my ETB has its own more specific versions of the descriptors. There is some flexibility in interpretation though - for example the Skills Demonstrations for the Science modules I teach don't specify the exact experiments, just what skills/knowledge should be assessed.

If you are in an ETB centre I recommend getting in contact with someone teaching these modules in another centre. Try get access to fess.ie if you can too - if you're not in a private provider.
    Thank you for this I will get on it. Not sure about the politics of these things and don’t want to over step asking for something. But I’ll put the feelers out for sure. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Psychteach wrote: »
    Hi Tom
    Thank you for your reply.
    Ok so I have been give the Descriptors and am currently trying to be creative as well as fair in how I assess each module. I found talking to other teachers help but they are up to their eyes as you can imagine.
    Reading your post I released I was anxious about cementing an assignment brief as I will be assessed on this in May. But I’ll take your points on board and get cracking. Thanks again

Feel free to ask questions, or ask for more help. I love this stuff. :)

Also, and it is very important, remember the level. With a nod to the QQI framework and Blooms taxonomy, you are most likely looking at assessments that ask for regurgitation of facts, with limited analysis/synthesis at Level 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Feel free to ask questions, or ask for more help. I love this stuff. :)

Also, and it is very important, remember the level. With a nod to the QQI framework and Blooms taxonomy, you are most likely looking at assessments that ask for regurgitation of facts, with limited analysis/synthesis at Level 6.

Your looking at theory to practice at level 6. Were you not given the module discriptor? The module Learning Outcomes are broken down into the indicative content and your assessments are based on those, you need to cover all your learning outcomes in your assessments. Best thing to do is to teach the assignment brief.

A big part of level 6 assessments is learning / reflective journals and skills/practice assessments

Who was teaching the module last year? There should be stuff on moodle in your ETB

Hi Thanks for your help.
    I have been given the module descriptors and while they are mostly specific in how they outline their assessments the Psychology descriptor is very broad and vague. I've since interpreted it with my years of experience and I've ticked all QQI requirements it's a level 5 but I am teaching it to a level 5 class and a level 6. So I will be expecting more attention to referencing and theory to practice with level 6. While the reflection pieces are great in level 6...teaching reflection to students who are also learning to be objective (when engaging in the Psychology based modules) can be confusing for them. No where in the Psychology descriptor does it place importance on scientific language...if I was to ignore that need I would be doing the students and the subject a disservice. So in conclusion it's gaps like that and badly worded learning outcomes that had me stumped this year. But I'm sure I'll weed it all out while hopefully pleasing the extern.

Expanding the students language should be a given. Afterall, really all we are doing in a lot of cases in these environments is giving students new words for stuff they already know.

You will find that a lot of the modules are poorly put together. When is the module up for review? Maybe you can have some input

I agree that it should be a given.
    But specifically in terms of a human science there is a different language used and blending that with what we ask of level 5 is difficult. I suppose I am trying to balance what they need to know at this level according to QQI and what teachings would best support them in pursuing further education in the sciences.
    I would disagree with that and add that I think teaching them how to challenge their assumptions and critically evaluate everything they hear is the common lesson throughout education.
    dar100 wrote: »
    Expanding the students language should be a given. Afterall, really all we are doing in a lot of cases in these environments is giving students new words for stuff they already know.

Whether psychology is a science or not is open to debate😊

Good luck with your teachings

• Advertisement

I would debate it any day of the week!!ðŸ˜
    Thanks, you too!!!

quote="dar100;105192675"]Whether psychology is a science or not is open to debate😊

Good luck with your teachings[/quote]

Advertisement