Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick grab your pitch forks, it's Dustin Hoffman now.

Comments

Can we just get a megathread for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

We better lock up all men who were famous/powerful and in their prime from the 70s to the 90s, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Omackeral wrote: »
    HOLLYWOOD ACTOR DUSTIN Hoffman has been accused of sexually harassing a 17-year-old intern during the filming of the 1985 film Death of a Salesman.

Author Anna Graham Hunter told The Hollywood Reporter that Hoffman grabbed her backside and made inappropriate comments on the set of the television film.

Here’s an example of one incident given by Hunter:

“When I was a senior in high school in New York City, interning as a production assistant on the set of the Death of a Salesman TV film, he asked me to give him a foot massage my first day on set; I did.

He was openly flirtatious, he grabbed my ass, he talked about sex to me and in front of me. One morning I went to his dressing room to take his breakfast order; he looked at me and grinned, taking his time. Then he said, ‘I’ll have a hard-boiled egg … and a soft-boiled clitoris.’
    “His entourage burst out laughing. I left, speechless. Then I went to the bathroom and cried.”

From the OP's link

I hope he didn’t open the front door in his dressing gown!

Can we just get a megathread for this?

Yeah and then lock it

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Can people stop quoting the fucking pictures?!
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'm beginning to see a pattern...

dustin-hoffman-and-sen-hillary-clinton-are-at-the-brooklyn-museum-for-picture-id97251967?k=6&m=97251967&s=612x612&w=0&h=Je5kPasai523Bxz2XZAdyS7It7oEB9z5fwYH6fyhYRI=

hillary-clinton-bill-clinton-kevin-spacey.jpg

louis%2Bcd%2Bhrc.jpg

171009105637-harvey-weinstein-hillary-clinton-2012-large-169.jpg

Agreed.

It's really rather annoying

.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What exactly has changed?
    No one has gotten arrested. Sure weinstein career is over but it's all been hot air at this point. Come 6 months it'll be back to business and if you want your break sugar ti*s you'll have to sleep with me etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jonon9 wrote: »
    Honestly I dont know what to believe anymore. Im guessing alot of these cases are true but I say a fair amount of them are just jumping on the bandwagon for their 15 minutes of fame.

Diminishing returns though. So many have come forward including several major name celebs. Someone else who is a minor celeb or worked elsewhere in the production of a film isn't going to get any real attention out of it. Their story will and whoever they name, but the accuser's names, considering there's so many of them now, will be the most easily forgotten aspect of the whole thing.

So if they're not going to get fame out of it (even more than a fleeting bit or their name in a few articles), the only reason they have to do it is because it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder who is next on the sex pest A-list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wonder if a woman will be accused

• Advertisement

You can't judge 1985 behaviour by modern standards.

Most people think they have an innate moral compass and they just magically know from within what is right and wrong. And that it is unchanging from one decade to another. Bull****. A lot of your morality/etiquette comes from society and the general consensus, the prevailing standards of the day. Making a rude joke or slapping an ass in the 1980s was reasonably acceptable as evidenced by the fact that he apparently did it in view of many people (who 'burst out laughing').

I wouldn't use this logic to defend serious, genuine sexual assault or rape. But in the aftermath of the Weinstein scandal there's all these attention seekers coming out with fairly harmless stories of butt slapping or rude jokes from decades ago when it was the done thing. If anything it's an insult to victims of genuine sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

branie2 wrote: »
    Who will be next?

If you are going back 30+ years, virtually EVERYONE! Name any current big male star of music, TV or movies who was a big-name 20+ years ago and I would suggest that 90% of them have taken advantage of their power position in a sexual liaison. Now, I am not talking about rape or groping/assault but coersion in the style that Harvey Weinstein has admitted to.

Every starlet arriving in LA was aware that she might have to do some distasteful (no pun intended) things to become a star and most were prepared to do it, within certain boundaries.

In terms of names: I have absolutely no knowledge of any claims against anyone but for me the obvious "trophy" specimens from La La land that people would be looking to destroy are (in no particular order) Harrison Ford, Gene Hackman, Harvey Keitel, Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Speilberg among many, many others; Travolta, Pitt and Cruise of the more recent vintage. I can also foresee a lot of dead men being accused of similar stuff, in particular the obvious candidates of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc.

If even 25% of the women who were treated disgracefully by powerful men come out, this is going to be HUGE!! Now, where is my Michael-Jackson-eating-popcorn pic??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

andreoilin wrote: »
    This actually made my stomach churn.

The answer to that was to tell him to shove his boiled egg up his short little ass.
    End of story .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In all fairness every male hollywood actor or other wise is doing the exact same thing, they all have done it and continue to do it.
    Suddenly it's a problem, yet it was not all along. SOmething is not right.

branie2 wrote: »
    I wonder if a woman will be accused

Ha

That is not what is happening here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

"ill have a hard boiled egg and a soft boiled clitorus"

That is really disturbing. Only a fcuked up mind would say something like that.
    It's like something from Silence of the Lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

anna080 wrote: »

What does it even mean? It makes no sense. Like Michael Scott from the office trying to make a funny joke and making a balls of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I haven't seen any comment on how many of these high profile female stars were complicit in these things in order to get where they were.

Yes it was a terrible situation and I am sure that they were all talented and capable but perhaps part of the reason that they stayed quiet for so long was due to the fact that they got their start or a part in some film etc. despite being slightly less talented (at the time) than another actress who wasn't as good or amenable to sucking off a director?

(For avoidance of doubt, I am in no way condoning or excusing despicable behaviour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

jobr wrote: »
    Oh man, not Dustin! I have always liked him and thought he seemed like one of the good guys...:(

thats the outdoor dustin that you saw and knew so well.

its the behind closed doors dustin( kevin harvey etc etc) we are finding out about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

No one should have to go into work and be expected to put up with **** like that. It's absolutely disgusting.

That being said, I believe this is on the very tame side of what's happened at Hollywood over the years. I'd imagine a few people are thinking "If they only knew what actually goes on here"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a bit like people blackguarding the US founding fathers for owning slaves....In a time when slavery was normal and accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I haven't seen any comment on how many of these high profile female stars were complicit in these things in order to get where they were.

Yes it was a terrible situation and I am sure that they were all talented and capable but perhaps part of the reason that they stayed quiet for so long was due to the fact that they got their start or a part in some film etc. despite being slightly less talented (at the time) than another actress who wasn't as good or amenable to sucking off a director?

(For avoidance of doubt, I am in no way condoning or excusing despicable behaviour)

So the situation at the time was suck someone off or don't get a start? Then by that logic even the really talented ones would have had to. That further reenforces the idea that the whole place stinks and was a misogynistic hell hole for any young woman looking to follow her dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

anna080 wrote: »

Van fills of Sun reading builders say these things and much worse to one another all day every day.
    They say them about women who they work with, customers, women of all ages they see out and about.
    Gangs of fellas say these things when they’re all together in a group either socializing or at work.
    Just look at the Ballyragget Intermediate hurling team last week.
    There may be a few dissenting voices in the group but they needn’t speak up because it’s not a good idea.
    The only difference between now and then is that it would be very unusual now to let a woman overhear you saying this much less actually say it to her, and quite a few men find it intolerable now too.
    But pretty much things haven’t changed that much at all.
    Plenty of girls gave as good back as they got. Lots of girls didn’t I know but plenty of faces were slapped and it didn’t happen again.
    Oh they’d whisper when you passed by about how frigid you were but thered be no more slagging.

It's a bit like people blackguarding the US founding fathers for owning slaves....In a time when slavery was normal and accepted.

That's not really being done though. Trump tried to make it seem like that was being done when he was saying, "who's next, Washington?" but really no-one legitimate is trying to do that.

Jayop wrote: »
    That's not really being done though. Trump tried to make it seem like that was being done when he was saying, "who's next, Washington?" but really no-one legitimate is trying to do that.
    OK but my point was really that apparently this seedy lecherous behaviour was common currency in Hollywood that everyone knew about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

OP, it's not really pitchforks if Hoffman has apologised for it. Pitchforks is where people are being randomly accused without anything to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The problem is women love a bastard, they will elect them to be president, they will date them, they will work for them.
    So maybe women need to look closer to home and ask why this is, as they openly admit it themselves that it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not quite Hollywood but Dr.Ciara Kelly claims she is aware of a well know Irish media personaility who raped several women. She herself claims he tried it on with her and sent her private messages that amounted to sexual harassment. She is seeking his victims and is trying to organise his outing on Twitter at the moment. Ive no ideas of who it might be, all that she said is that he is in his 60s, has a national profile and is on Twitte
    gay bryne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

OK but my point was really that apparently this seedy lecherous behaviour was common currency in Hollywood that everyone knew about

My mother had her arse slapped by more than one boss in her day. It wasn't just Hollywood.

It would still be common place nowadays but times have changed, humans sure as fcuk haven't.

And that is a ligitmate point along with the one about judging 1980's behavior to 2017 morals/political correctness. Wolf whistling on the street was not abnormal, racism was apparently funny etc. Just look back at the old BBC sitcoms.

That said though, while allowances have to be made for the era the offences took place in, some offences were simply wrong at any time. Like I've said a few times, this particular accusation is very much on the lower end of any scale so my natural left wing liberal outrage is being kept in check. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

The problem is women love a bastard, they will elect them to be president, they will date them, they will work for them.
    So maybe women need to look closer to home and ask why this is, as they openly admit it themselves that it's true.

Come off it - some women 'like a bad boy' (cringe - a pathology in itself) but please, nobody likes being sexually assaulted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Who has contacted the police to make a complaint or is Twitter the highest authority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not quite Hollywood but Dr.Ciara Kelly claims she is aware of a well know Irish media personaility who raped several women.

It's already out there on twitter who he is.

Who has contacted the police to make a complaint or is Twitter the highest authority?

Something like this? Would it even still be within the statute of limitations? What would the offense be? Grabbing her arse once?

If something isn't a crime does that mean it's not wrong?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

byronbay2 wrote: »
    If you are going back 30+ years, virtually EVERYONE! Name any current big male star of music, TV or movies who was a big-name 20+ years ago and I would suggest that 90% of them have taken advantage of their power position in a sexual liaison. Now, I am not talking about rape or groping/assault but coersion in the style that Harvey Weinstein has admitted to.

The other main actor in the production with Dustin Hoffman was John Malkovich, and the author doesn't seem to have experienced any sexual harassment from him

Sure look at bill clinton. Multiple rape accusations and using and discarding a young intern. And yet this man is still celebrated. There's hope for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Jayop wrote:

He said Jefferson though*.....and Jefferson was in the crosshairs.....make no mistake about that. There were calls for his monuments to be removed. No surprise that CNN provided these idiots with their platform to do so.

Let's not forget the slaughter of the name of Christopher Columbus this year up to the point of many rebranding "Columbus Day".

Sure there was some clown from the Guardian who wanted Nelsons column removed from Trafalgar Square in London!

*He may have said Washington....I didn't see this though, and his major claim was about Jefferson.

As for Hoffman, well it's obviously not great. I think the rush to judgment is not the right course of action though. These incidents happened over 32 years ago! Not that that takes away from anything he might have done but this public trial and execution via these publicised allegations are not the way to go. If somebody was abused then take it to the cops. Hoffman has been vilified already for this. Same goes for Ben Affleck, Jeremy Piven, Kevin Spacey. The feeding frenzy around these things stinks of quick buck.

ligerdub wrote: »
    He said Jefferson though*.....and Jefferson was in the crosshairs.....make no mistake about that. There were calls for his monuments to be removed. No surprise that CNN provided these idiots with their platform to do so.

Let's not forget the slaughter of the name of Christopher Columbus this year up to the point of many rebranding "Columbus Day".

Sure there was some clown from the Guardian who wanted Nelsons column removed from Trafalgar Square in London!

*He may have said Washington....I didn't see this though, and his major claim was about Jefferson.

As for Hoffman, well it's obviously not great. I think the rush to judgment is not the right course of action though. These incidents happened over 32 years ago! Not that that takes away from anything he might have done but this public trial and execution via these publicised allegations are not the way to go. If somebody was abused then take it to the cops. Hoffman has been vilified already for this. Same goes for Ben Affleck, Jeremy Piven, Kevin Spacey. The feeding frenzy around these things stinks of quick buck.

1) The major name he said was Washington. It was idiotic.

2) There's been major issues with native americans about Columbus day for years. I only know this because of the Sopranos.

3) Hoffman has apologized so it's no longer an accusation. Also, I'm not sure he's been accused of a crime so why would you go to the cops?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Well that's disturbing.

Yes, women have been treated like animals for a long time, with no rights, thoughts, or opinions, but hey, it was okay then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Ah women. They're the worst. You know what all the worst people in history have in common? All their mothers were women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

1) The major name he said was Washington. It was idiotic.

2) There's been major issues with native americans about Columbus day for years. I only know this because of the Sopranos.

3) Hoffman has apologized so it's no longer an accusation. Also, I'm not sure he's been accused of a crime so why would you go to the cops?

He was throwing both Washington and Jefferson into the mix as they were both slaveowners. His point was in direct response to some people suggesting their monuments being removed because of it. It was not idiotic of him at all, it was topical, relevant and was on the agenda so to speak. The only idiotic thing in that debate was that anyone entertained their removal in the first place.

I think we can skip point number 2 given that comment.

Why go the newspapers is what I'm wondering? It smacks to me of somebody trying to make a few quid because it's the topic of the day. People have moved on from that sort of behaviour. It's needless revisionism and hacking up of somebody's reputation. It's not good behaviour, but I don't think anyone is trying to rekindle that sort of recourse. Hoffman has now been thrown into the same bracket of person as Weinstein. It's topical, he's done something wrong, ruin him, repeat.

Media outlets are chomping at the bit to get wind of any of these sort of stories and are prepared to put the cash up to get them. It's not specifically about Hoffman as such, there are others out there who are having all sorts of accusations thrown at them and the perceived wisdom is that we're to believe them on sight. I think it's wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Something like this? Would it even still be within the statute of limitations? What would the offense be? Grabbing her arse once?

If something isn't a crime does that mean it's not wrong?
    Taylor Swift has successfully brought a sexual assault charge against some-one grabbing her arse.
    Times are a changing fellas. You cant get away with what once was commonplace!
    I for one am so happy, as I can see this knocking on to younger generations of men, the only thing that was ever going to make men stop was women beginning to talk about it and the world saying it is wrong. What will make men stop is the fear of being charged now. I will no longer have to live in a place/world where I am groped. I feel happier already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Corey Feldman was saying for years that there was a sort of a paedophile ring abusing young actors including himself and that Corey Haim was raped but nobody really listened to him.

Ass grabbing and talking dirty to a 17 year old is unacceptable but I wouldn't put it in the same category as young boys being raped.

Taylor Swift has successfully brought a sexual assault charge against some-one grabbing her arse.
    Times are a changing fellas. You cant get away with what once was commonplace!
    I for one am so happy, as I can see this knocking on to younger generations of men, the only thing that was ever going to make men stop was women beginning to talk about it and the world saying it is wrong. What will make men stop is the fear of being charged now. I will no longer have to live in a place/world where I am groped. I feel happier already.

Oh no doubt groping someone is a crime that you could be charged for now. But my point was would that crime have a statute of limitations and what would the likelyhood of a conviction for groping someone 30 years ago be?

And I too am happy that you and all other woman can feel even a little bit safer if that is indeed the case. Hopefully attitudes are changing big time, but with the way you see people talking to woman on social media there's still a major problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This is just nature. As men become powerful, their testosterone grows, and they need to fûck anything that comes into their line of sight.

In the wild they would be the ones producing the next generation, as alpha males. In human society, they are and will always be filthy sex pests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

mad muffin wrote: »
    This is just nature. As men become powerful, their testosterone grows, and they need to fûck anything that comes into their line of sight.

In the wild they would be the ones producing the next generation, as alpha males. In human society, they are and will always be filthy sex pests.

Nah,

The best alphas put on charm, they use their intellect and good looks to get dem wimmins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...slapping an ass in the 1980s was reasonably acceptable...

I dare say those being slapped in the ass might disagree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Nah,

The best alphas put on charm, they use their intellect and good looks to get dem wimmins.

Hey, I told you that in confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Nah,

Only in the movies :pac:

Sure there are some woman that fall for it, love it, chase it. Then others don’t want the attention. Especially if you are a gross, sweaty, hairy ape. No matter the power, and the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yet another movie-maker named (according to the Guardian, via a report in the Los Angeles Times).

Film-maker Brett Ratner is accused by six women of sexual misconduct
    The director of 'Rush Hour and X-Men: The Last Stand'
    has been accused of a range of unwanted sexual behaviour by Hollywood actors.

Send in the exorcists to Hollywood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Why is it that if a guy gets his ass smacked its a non story but if its a woman stop the press. I'm under no illusion that men and women did stuff to advance their careers in Hollywood. Why cry now and not when it happened. I tell you why because you wanted your big chance and you were willing to do anything to get there.

Now im not saying all did this to advance their careers I do believe there is some amount of assaults and rapes going on, But alot fell on deaf ears Corey Haim been one example. Im not excusing the scum that did theses rapes and assaults but if you got a smack on the ass and a wink dont come crying 30 years later.

I fear in the future you cant even admire the female form anymore you be called a rapist scum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement