Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any experience with ultra-cheap smartwatches? Worth the buy?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my wonderful classic casio wristwatch which cost €7 to something a bit more upmarket (ideally for under €20). Looking on Aliexpress I see a load of really cheap smartwatches like this and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them? It doesn't have to be amazing, if it tells the time and has a stopwatch that's great, and if it can sent me notifications if my phone is ringing etc then that's also great. But I'm just wondering if these watches are too cheap to be good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you only ever check the time in a Cinema, maybe. Otherwise no way.

The cheapest "sorta smart" watch worth having is the Pebble Time at €80 ish, and actual smart watches start at a minimum of €200 (there are ones below it, but IMO they dont reach muster).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It might be useless, but it will cost less than €20 to find out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

It might be useless, but it will cost less than €20 to find out :D

That's what I'm thinking haha what's the worst than can happen! I might ignore the sensible advice above and go for it. Could start a new trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

podgey1992 wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking haha what's the worst than can happen! I might ignore the sensible advice above and go for it. Could start a new trend.

You can always give it as a Xmas gift to some junior in the family if you don't like it :D

Real Cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you're ever unsure of a product, always chance a review on youtube. The rest were in Russian, so hope this helps you!

EDIT: Glad to see the T9 keyboard making a comeback! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

Thanks for the help and after watching that video I decided to go for a simpler Xiaomi Mi Band 2 from gearbest (€20 all in). I've got a xiaomi phone and kinda love them so hopefully this will work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

podgey1992 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help and after watching that video I decided to go for a simpler Xiaomi Mi Band 2 from gearbest (€20 all in). I've got a xiaomi phone and kinda love them so hopefully this will work out.

To be pedantic, I wouldn't brand that as a "smart watch", more of a fitness tracker with call / message notifications. Looks good though!

Advertisement