Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will you do with yours?

• 01-11-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So Irish Water are saying that every one who paid, will hopefully be refunded in time for Christmas.

So wondering what to do with mine. Was gonna put it towards the Xmas Shopping, but with increased Car/Home Insurance, proposed increase in the TV Licence, and recent decrease in the USC, am guessing the Government are doing all they to recoup this. May as well just address it directly to Leo at Leinster House, and cut out the middle man, ie, me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Saving it for when the water charges make a return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Didn't pay. But damn it, i want a refund too! Is that really too much to ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just throw it in the account with the rest of my funds. It's not much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

I'm going to buy some sand and cement to concrete in the meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

blah on radio heard theres no actual plan yet when and how funds will be refunded,only that a site was setup for people to go to.

any idea how it will come back to those who paid in cash ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

scamalert wrote: »
    blah on radio heard theres no actual plan yet when and how funds will be refunded,only that a site was setup for people to go to.

any idea how it will come back to those who paid in cash ?

ALL refunds will be done by cheque to the address on file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Buy bottled water for when the tab water becomes undrinkable again because there's no money to keep sewage out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think I'm due about 100 euro, so having had the 100 euro sign on freebie I'm in profit whatever happens.

success_baby.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna blow it on a hooker and a half gram of coke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Didn't get sucked in by the scam, so not due anything back. Before I'm asked didn't claim the bribe either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

1. get a new tap for the kitchen.
    2. anything left over get the driveway power washed in the Spring.
    3. As you can see that's all water related ho ho ho.

Gotta do something with it, otherwise it just disappears down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Put it towards the property tax......

.....not my idea, but I'm not the sensible one in the house ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think I'm due about 100 euro, so having had the 100 euro sign on freebie I'm in profit whatever happens.

That wasn't a "freebie" that was a bribe dished out with taxpayers money.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    That wasn't a "freebie" that was a bribe dished out with taxpayers money.

So?

that means as a taxpayer I got my money back :D

Why would anyone turn down 'free' money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mine went to a landlord so he'll get mine :mad:

Jawgap wrote: »
    So?

that means as a taxpayer I got my money back :D
    Did I dispute that it meant you got your money back?

I said it wasn't a freebie, no more than anyone in the country is enjoying "free water" as it's already paid for, by taxpayers.
    Why would anyone turn down 'free' money?
    In my case I turned it down because I viewed it as an invitational bribe.

It will now prob pan out that those who called anyone that called Irish water out as being a sham and a scam as freeloaders will now be the same people gloating about getting free money.

Gamekeeper/Poacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I'm gonna blow it on a hooker and a half gram of coke!

The coke should be decent but the sex worker will be of 'questionable' appearance.

The coke should be decent but the sex worker will be of 'questionable' appearance.

Fifi.

That is all.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Did I dispute that it meant you got your money back?

I said it wasn't a freebie, no more than anyone in the country is enjoying "free water" as it's already paid for, by taxpayers.

In my case I turned it down because I viewed it as an invitational bribe.

It will now prob pan out that those who called anyone that called Irish water out as being a sham and a scam as freeloaders will now be the same people gloating about getting free money.

Gamekeeper/Poacher.

I've no problem with being bribed :)

Turns out the whole thing was a savings scheme. Personally, I think it's a nice little windfall.

I never really understood the fuss, but there again I lived in a few places where you paid for your water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

More Bitcoin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In ireland, we're smarter than the rest of the developed world so we don't pay for water by usage. I think I'll spend my refund on some magic beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't pay it (with the resistance that was building at the time, I figured it'd be better to wait and see how it'd pan out - especially as despite 3 calls to them they couldn't issue a correct bill anyway!) so not due anything, but didn't claim the bribe either so all square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I didn't pay for the water, but my parents did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I never paid it. I was just putting it off. I remember getting a phone call from them where the man on the phone was telling me how much we owed and he said to me "do you promise to pay it?" I thought that was weird :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

TV License, might even ask if they'll let me buy 2
    Now there's money well spent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Don't live at the address I paid it at so probably will never see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Pay property tax (a portion of it at least)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Don't live at the address I paid it at so probably will never see it.

There is a facility for that on the website, login and let them know.

As far as me, I'll be most likely investing in donuts. Lots of em.
    Maybe a breakfast roll or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There is a facility for that on the website, login and let them know.

As far as me, I'll be most likely investing in donuts. Lots of em.
    Maybe a breakfast roll or 2.

Nice one. Liking my fancy cheese at the moment.gonna buy some cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Rick Shaw wrote:

It wasn't a scam, even if it was inefficient. It is not free money either. The government has to return a tax taken from law abiding citizens because you cannot reward law breakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Put it towards the property tax......

Funnily enough, you could ring about your Irish Water refund and immediately ring about your property tax and be talking to people in the same room on the same minimum wage from the same exploitative employer. Yay, government outsourcing slavery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mine went to a landlord so he'll get mine :mad:

This.

Student at the time, water charge split six ways, paid by landlord. Chances of getting that money back? Eh, nil.

I'm not griping about not getting the money back mind, more just that that particular landlord who owns about 5 houses will now get 5 lovely cheques in the post for a "refund" of money they never paid in the first place.

And landlords bitch about how hard their lives are. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Light a Cuban cigar with it and blow it in the face of an IW employee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Just throw it in the account with the rest of my funds. It's not much money.

Wooooo. See what I mean? Always the big man attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'll put.it away for when they regroup and start up again. I'd hate to think of any poor overworked manager having to have less in his pension because of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

cantdecide wrote: »
    Funnily enough, you could ring about your Irish Water refund and immediately ring about your property tax and be talking to people in the same room on the same minimum wage from the same exploitative employer. Yay, government outsourcing slavery.

Did that feel good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If this is true, I've badly misunderstood one or both of the above highlighted words for the majority of my life.

I thought slaves weren't paid?

I thought slaves weren't paid?

It's a metaphor. I thought it was obvious that Irish Water don't hold captured people and force them to work for nothing under threat of violence or death. Sorry.

It's a metaphor. I thought it was obvious that Irish Water don't hold captured people and force them to work for nothing under threat of violence or death. Sorry.

Oh, and customer service reps are paid a bit more than minimum wage......not much, but a bit......

......and we (as in the taxpayer) had an equity stake in Abtran the company to which the work was outsourced.

• Advertisement

Oh, and customer service reps are paid a bit more than minimum wage......not much, but a bit......

......and we (as in the taxpayer) had an equity stake in Abtran the company to which the work was outsourced.

Well, The Carlisle Group have the majority stake in Abtran today. You should look into them. Such is the caliber of organisation handling state labour and resources. Since the minimum wage went up, so has the entry level wage in the company. Also, if you earn 20c/ hour over minimum wage, effectively you're still on minimum wage even if technically you're not. Let's be realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm going to by some moon pie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Buy gin, it's nicer than water

Well, The Carlisle Group have the majority stake in Abtran today. You should look into them. Such is the caliber of organisation handling state labour and resources. Since the minimum wage went up, so has the entry level wage in the company. Also, if you earn 20c/ hour over minimum wage, effectively you're still on minimum wage even if technically you're not. Let's be realistic.

Yeah and the NPRF put about €125m into their Irish vehicle CCI, which took the position in Abtran.

I've no problem with money being invested prudently and costs being kept down......bit of a win/win for the taxpayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

"Spent half on gambling, women and drink; and just wasted the rest"
    (Quote from George Best on how he spent his money.)

I'll probably do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Buy a rainwater collection tank (aka water butt)... the balance will go on food and wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

I never really understood the fuss, but there again I lived in a few places where you paid for your water.

Oh so you're the other one. Howya?

Yeah and the NPRF put about €125m into their Irish vehicle CCI, which took the position in Abtran.

I've no problem with money being invested prudently and costs being kept down......bit of a win/win for the taxpayer.

Well, I wonder how the taxpayers that work there feel and remember how little tax tax people on minimum wage pay. Remember also how little people on minimum wage contribute to the economy at large. There was a time when these types of jobs were an opportunity for young people to launch their career. It's nothing like that now but there are many fuzzy headlines in the paper about what wonderful things these places are. I tend to disagree and see them as Job Bridge 2.0. You wouldn't to be or love anyone whose circumstances are such that these jobs are the only possibility they have and there are many people in that category in these places.

Well, I wonder how the taxpayers that work there feel and remember how little tax tax people on minimum wage pay. Remember also how little people on minimum wage contribute to the economy at large. There was a time when these types of jobs were an opportunity for young people to launch their career. It's nothing like that now but there are many fuzzy headlines in the paper about what wonderful things these places are. I tend to disagree and see them as Job Bridge 2.0. You wouldn't to be or love anyone whose circumstances are such that these jobs are the only possibility they have and there are many people in that category in these places.

Well as you pointed out, it's not slavery so they're free to leave.

Jobs like that are stepping stone. Currently have a relation working in a call centre and it suits him with his academic commitments.

Frankly, given the scripting etc I'm not sure it's a job that requires more than a minimum wage to be paid in respect of it.

Well as you pointed out, it's not slavery so they're free to leave.

Jobs like that are stepping stone. Currently have a relation working in a call centre and it suits him with his academic commitments.

Frankly, given the scripting etc I'm not sure it's a job that requires more than a minimum wage to be paid in respect of it.

There are retirees working there who leave in brand new cars. There are people whose partner is the main breadwinner too but on the other end of the scale you have hardship and the poverty trap all under one roof. You can choose to believe these places are like playschools and everyone is free to walk into a better paying job but there is a lot of despair in these places and there is also a lot of hard work and the 'because we can' attitude of the management in cahoots with the government is little consolation to people who have little choice but to endure the financial hardship given their unique circumstances. The latter category is very well represented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement