Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters, how the hell?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,460 ✭✭✭✭

Quick thing, where I'm living has storage heaters.

I've got a thermostat in the living room which is linked to a breaker of some sort in the fuse box, I also have a Devi in there too.

The small one in the hall I can figure out (TSR12MW) as it's a more basic type with a thermostat type input knob and a mechanical output knob which is actually part of a mechanism that moves the flaps inside or whatever it's doing. One switch in the wall. Easy.

My problem is with the 2 in the living room/kitchen.
    These are TSR24CW which have 2 wall switches, one seems to be for the night rate electricity, and the other seems to be for the fan heater at the bottom. This one is linked to the room thermostat

Now, the input knob is the same as the small basic one, and I assume this controls how much heat is input overnight, not sure if there is any other factors like room thermostat position?

The output knob and fan function is what's confusing me the most. It is clearly another thermostat with no apparent mechanical connection to the flaps. I can hear it click when I turn it, and it does make the fan function when it's turned up, but does this actually control the output of heat through the day?

The wall thermostat also activates the fan, but my guess is that this fan is using a separate heating element using day rate electricity as opposed to the heat stored in the heater from the night before.

So can someone please let me know:

Should the second switch (works all day) on the wall be left on or only on when heat is needed at day rate electricity,

Does the position of the room thermostat affect the input over night?

How do I control the output during if there is no electricity going to the heater and no apparent mechanical connection between the output knob rest of the heater?

Is the fan used to release the heat from the bricks at all or is it just convection?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,460 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, I put the input to max and the output to min, but still not really doing much. I think the answer might be the Devi. I've turned it to +2, hopefully that'll make a difference.

The storage heaters didn't seem to be coming on till around 3-4am

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Devi does a calculation between the outside temp and 20C and decided how many hours to turn the heaters on for .
    The convector heater costs a fortune to run and really should be left off its at the full rate of electricity.
    Turn the output knob down to lowest no & the input to the highest to get the most heat out of the heater in the evening. The output also opens a damper flap to control the heat output of the storage in the bricks but looses heat fast

Advertisement