Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary subsidence issue

Options
  • 01-11-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

I had an old tree stump that was on the boundary in front of our house, mainly in our garden but partially on the council/common tarmaced area. We had the stump ground down with the intention of removing as much as possible and covering the area with top soil. However the tarmac on the council side is now breaking up and subsiding. We have got a quote of nearly €2 grand to do the work to include laying hardcore and Tarmac. This is a lot more than I bargained for. Am thinking of approaching the council and getting them to do it. Grateful for any views or advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The council will be slow to let you do anything on the public road. They may however have a list of authorised contractors and you could hire one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vinbo1

Victor wrote: »
    The council will be slow to let you do anything on the public road. They may however have a list of authorised contractors and you could hire one of them.

Thanks Victor. I thought that but am afraid it might cost me more. The contractor I got quote from says to go ahead and do work as it's not roadway s such - more like a tarmac area abutting front garden. Assures me he will redo surface to required standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

vinbo1 wrote: »
    Hi all

I had an old tree stump that was on the boundary in front of our house, mainly in our garden but partially on the council/common tarmaced area. We had the stump ground down with the intention of removing as much as possible and covering the area with top soil. However the tarmac on the council side is now breaking up and subsiding. We have got a quote of nearly €2 grand to do the work to include laying hardcore and Tarmac. This is a lot more than I bargained for. Am thinking of approaching the council and getting them to do it. Grateful for any views or advice.
    Thanks

That price does seem high but of course it's dependent on the area and nature of the work. I'd recommend putting it out for other quotations on tradesmen.ie but you'll need a precise area measurement and a detailed description of the task, then go by rating and price.

In my estate we've got the council to repair footpaths but everything was done through the Residents' Association who seem to have the ear of the council services dept. If you have a RA then it might be worth a try... it'll probably be added to a number of other repairs/improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vinbo1

Jim 77 wrote: »
    That price does seem high but of course it's dependent on the area and nature of the work. I'd recommend putting it out for other quotations on tradesmen.ie but you'll need a precise area measurement and a detailed description of the task, then go by rating and price.

In my estate we've got the council to repair footpaths but everything was done through the Residents' Association who seem to have the ear of the council services dept. If you have a RA then it might be worth a try... it'll probably be added to a number of other repairs/improvements.

Thanks for that Jim. I didn't think of the RA - we do have one so I'll talk to them before proceeding.
    Vincent

Advertisement