Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PhD or doctorate

• 01-11-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi

Will doing a doctorate over a PhD hold me back when looking to get into/progress in academia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

dar100 wrote: »
    Hi

Will doing a doctorate over a PhD hold me back when looking to get into/progress in academia?

Explain the difference please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hi

They are the same thing. The two terms can be used interchangeably. Some institutions may refer to this level of qualifications using either descriptor depending on subject.

A PhD is generally necessary if you wish to become a lecturer / professor or undertake postgraduate research

These days you can now do a taught PhD or do one by research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

There not the same thing, a PhD is a degree by research, generally.

A professional doctorate is geared towards industry. For example the professional doctorate in clinical/counselling psychology has a very small thesis 20, 000 words where adding a new contribution to knowledge is not needed, as it's a clinical training degree. The same is true of the doctorate in education

The difference is along the lines of a taught versus a research masters

A professional doctorate is geared towards industry. For example the professional doctorate in clinical/counselling psychology has a very small thesis 20, 000 words where adding a new contribution to knowledge is not needed, as it's a clinical training degree. The same is true of the doctorate in education

The difference is along the lines of a taught versus a research masters

Why did you bother asking if you already new the answer to your question?

I beg to disagree with your latter statement. The university of limerick for example offers both research and taught (structured) PhDs. The terms are frequently used interchangeably in academia.

See:[url]
    https://www.ul.ie/graduateschool/postgraduate-research
    [/url]

And yes I have a PhD ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

gozunda wrote: »
    And yes I have a PhD ...

Prove it!

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    Prove it!

I already did - it's called a viva....

Something definitely off in here ...

I already did - it's called a viva....

So you are saying you passed your oral :D
    What about the rest of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A Ph.D. is a doctorate - a particular kind of doctorate. You can have other doctoral degrees - LL.D., D.D., Litt.D., Mus.D., D.Sc., D.Ed. etc. In general a Ph.D will be a doctorate awarded on the basis of original research and a substantial thesis but, as already pointed out, usage does vary somewhat from university to university and sometimes even between faculties or departments within a university.

As to whether a Ph.D. (of the substantial thesis kind) is more or less advantageous than another kind of doctorate, it largely depends on what the other kind of doctorate is, and on the particular academic field in which you wish to progress.

So you are saying you passed your oral :D
    What about the rest of it?

You 'woodnt" have a clue then - try and stick to the trees. They are not as hard to understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

"A PhD is for professional scholars, a doctorate is for scholarly professionals"

I can't remember where I saw that, but it is a reasonable approximation.

In universities, possibly, it depends on the field. Science/Engineering typically are a little biased towards the "traditional" PhD, whereas Education and Business are receptive to all kinds, particularly the professional doctorates.

In IoT's generally the above holds true, but the stipulation for senior posts is "a level 10 qualification" - it does not differentiate between the types.

As are the professional doctorates.
    . The same is true of the doctorate in education

It most certainly is not. For my EdD, I had to 6 x 5000 word assignments, plus a thesis of 60,000 words on a research topic that adds to the body of knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    "A PhD is for professional scholars, a doctorate is for scholarly professionals"

I can't remember where I saw that, but it is a reasonable approximation.

In universities, possibly, it depends on the field. Science/Engineering typically are a little biased towards the "traditional" PhD, whereas Education and Business are receptive to all kinds, particularly the professional doctorates.

In IoT's generally the above holds true, but the stipulation for senior posts is "a level 10 qualification" - it does not differentiate between the types.

As are the professional doctorates.

It most certainly is not. For my EdD, I had to 6 x 5000 word assignments, plus a thesis of 60,000 words on a research topic that adds to the body of knowledge.

Tom thanks for the reply, it is most helpful. I didn't mean the EdD was along the lines of the PsychD. I take it you done that in Trinity? Any feedback on the DUC EdD?

I take it you done that in Trinity? Any feedback on the DUC EdD?

No, I'm doing it in a UK university, even though I am based in Ireland.

I can talk in general terms about EdD programmes, but not specific courses in Ireland.

You 'woodnt" have a clue then - try and stick to the trees. They are not as hard to understand

Try and 'leaf' me alone then :) and get on with your studies. :p

Try and 'leaf' me alone then :) and get on with your studies. :p

Wood you two give it a rest? We are trying to get to the root of the discussion here. Feel free to branch out on another thread.

Advertisement