Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axolotl owners?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hello!

Anyone here familiar with axolotls?

I have two 5 year olds I may need help rehoming....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

I'm not interested in rehoming them - I've got my hands full with fish as it is - but axolotl look absolutely fascinating.

I had to google them to see what they were! I had no idea such creatures could be kept in a home aquarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Weird looking things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

They are awesome, definitely a lot more unusual than a goldfish, they are quite low maintenance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Zombienosh wrote: »
    They are awesome, definitely a lot more unusual than a goldfish, they are quite low maintenance too.

Agreed. I seen the wild ones are endangered, does that apply to these aswell?
    I'd love them but God knows I've to many pets as it is:)

iamtony wrote: »
    Agreed. I seen the wild ones are endangered, does that apply to these aswell?
    I'd love them but God knows I've to many pets as it is:)

Their natural habit got somewhat destroyed but they are bred in captivity quite successfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We had one but it didn't last more than a year. Ambient room temperature in Irish summers is too high for them so anyone considering getting one will need to invest in a chiller for the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sleepy wrote: »
    We had one but it didn't last more than a year. Ambient room temperature in Irish summers is too high for them so anyone considering getting one will need to invest in a chiller for the tank.

Could they be kept in a pond?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Can they be kept with Cichlids?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Could they be kept in a pond?

Was wondering that myself..I've rehomed a fair few creatures to my pond but never something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Can they be kept with Cichlids?

Probably not a good idea. I've heard that aggressive fish can eat the external gills on the axolotl.

Also, if they are Malawi cichlids, dietary requirements are very different. The animal protein needs of the axolotl would possibly cause Malawi bloat among your cichlids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Axolotls really need to be kept in their own home. They don't mix well with other species (or each other much of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭richie231069

Hiya if you decide you want to rehome them I have one and a couple if friends would be nice for her.
    Where are you located please ?

Hiya if you decide you want to rehome them I have one and a couple if friends would be nice for her.
    Where are you located please ?

HI Richie I'm in North Dublin near skerries.

How old is your one?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭richie231069

About 12 months old I'd say he / she was a decent size when we brought him / her home about 6 months ago.
    But if they won't mix I do have other tanks and could set up one for them.

Bump

Advertisement