Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying advice - commuter/ hybrid sports bike

Options
  • 01-11-2017 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Guys, a quick bit of advice required - I'll be buying something under the bike-to-work scheme, so budget is up to about 700 euros (if course I'm not obliged to spend that much!).

I've been looking at the typical hybrid offerings at the bike shops (Giant Rapid 3, Trek FX 3, Ridgeback...whatever). The problem is I don't have much of a clue what distinguishes them and what traps I should be avoiding. I haven't cylced for a decade and I was never much of a gear nut - the only thing that I really thought was important about my old bike (rust in peace) was that it was very light and had low rolling resistance.

So any tips for a cycling...second-time virgin? Is that a thing?

Any brands that have a particularly good model in this area in the price range? Should I be bothered about having lever brakes rather than discs?

All advice gratefully received.

Comments

What type of cycling are you looking at? Commuting or leisure spins or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

What type of cycling are you looking at? Commuting or leisure spins or both?
    Commuting, and hopefully some leisure stuff too. Maybe even something like a crack at Gael Force (in a purely participatory fashion...)

Ah jaysus lads.

Ah well.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Anthracite wrote: »
    Ah well.

Thanks anyway.

If you have your heart set on a hybrid then go try a few out and see what you like the feel of. Giant and Trek are two big brands and should be good. There are others around as well. ( google will be a big initial help)
    If you think you might want to get into cycling, it might be better saving your btw scheme until then, as upgrading a hybrid to a full-on road bike would be expensive so it would be more cost effective to buy a road bike to replace the hybrid.
    Personally, I’d just go for a road bike from the start as I don’t really like hybrids, but everyone is different.
    The only thing with road bikes is it becomes addictive and there’s always something else you need to buy- clothing, shoes, newer bike, different bike, more clothing, winter gear, autumn gear, winter bike.... get the picture?

Anyway. Enjoy

• Advertisement

Thanks TM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

If you're looking at doing a Gael Force get a road bike!

Advertisement