Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venus fly trap dying ?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

So for some reason my venus fly trap is turning a dark colour and dying. Time of year or something wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

So for some reason my venus fly trap is turning a dark colour and dying. Time of year or something wrong ?

They are very fussy about water.
    You need to be watering it with rainwater for it to flourish.

They could also just be leaves dying back otherwise it looks quite lush and healthy.

How's it now ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭PoppedPopcorn

They are very fussy about water.
    You need to be watering it with rainwater for it to flourish.

They could also just be leaves dying back otherwise it looks quite lush and healthy.

How's it now ??

Ooooh didnt know id to use rain water
    Yeah still isnt looking the best. Looks like its dying to me :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Ooooh didnt know id to use rain water
    Yeah still isnt looking the best. Looks like its dying to me :-(

Ok here's what I suggest...
    Put out a bowl in the rain and let it fill up,not a plastic bowl just a plain ceramic one, because the plastic bowls will pollute the water...

Don't use stagnant pond water and you also have to feed the fly trap during the colder months....

Another thing is, I know it's tempting but don't tickle the trap to get a reaction to see it snap close it'll Kill the poor guy.

You'll burn it's energy,it's like you running up a hill without stopping....you'll collapse..

I used to buy maggot's from a fishing tackle shop and drop one now and again into the trap...

Lol each to their own...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

distilled water works as well if collecting rain water is too much hassle (getting distilled water is a different type of hassle). Don't give it any type of fertilizer either, the reason for rainwater or dH2O is to not give it nutrients that could burn its roots. Stand them in a saucer and keep that topped up.

The heads periodically die back, looking brown. They pull away easy enough when they're fully died back. They also get a bit quieter in the winter. Do watch out for mould as when things get colder, the damp soil/full saucer can encourage it. My trap finally died last year due to botyris after keeping it going (and potting some on, which are still doing well) for about seven years.

Ok here's what I suggest...
    Put out a bowl in the rain and let it fill up,not a plastic bowl just a plain ceramic one, because the plastic bowls will pollute the water...

Don't use stagnant pond water and you also have to feed the fly trap during the colder months....

Another thing is, I know it's tempting but don't tickle the trap to get a reaction to see it snap close it'll Kill the poor guy.

You'll burn it's energy,it's like you running up a hill without stopping....you'll collapse..

I used to buy maggot's from a fishing tackle shop and drop one now and again into the trap...

Lol each to their own...

Thanks ! I have wax worms for my bearded dragon - would they do the trick?

• Advertisement

Tree wrote: »
    distilled water works as well if collecting rain water is too much hassle (getting distilled water is a different type of hassle). Don't give it any type of fertilizer either, the reason for rainwater or dH2O is to not give it nutrients that could burn its roots. Stand them in a saucer and keep that topped up.

The heads periodically die back, looking brown. They pull away easy enough when they're fully died back. They also get a bit quieter in the winter. Do watch out for mould as when things get colder, the damp soil/full saucer can encourage it. My trap finally died last year due to botyris after keeping it going (and potting some on, which are still doing well) for about seven years.

Yeah i noticed mould so i took out that bit of soil
    Seven years is amazing! Hoping this doesnt completly die on me

Advertisement