Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugh J Ward Solicitors are they for real?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

After 6 years the legal right to recover a debt ceases.

Ah, so just dodge all your debts for 6 years, Gotcha, must remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Has the OP managed to dodge paying his debt for over six years? :eek:
    If not and his creditors get an enforcement order then they have twelve years to enforce it. That could make his future plans interesting.
    Although I'm beginning to believe he is just trolling to see the discussion on here given his response earlier.

yes, do remember that. Handy for all those that operate in a cash business.

But I doubt Three mobile could be considered "a cash business".

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yes there are many legal mechanisms for debtors to use depending on the debt and creditor. With banking cases you can refer the case to the central bank. With phone companies you can take a case with Comreg.

Debt collection in Ireland is not regulated but with bank debt the collection agency must stick to the consumer protection code and other procedures outlined by the central bank. Although many agencies call on a withheld number so it can be quite hard to prove that they called you 10 times in one day.

Legislation is needed. It will make it easier for everybody if there where clear across the board procedures for debt collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

anything under a grand is not worth going to court for

into the bin with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I wish fishing was always this easy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

into the bin with it
    A catalogue shopping service would direct that those who collect debts on their behalf pursue all debtors through court. If their policy was not to proceed to court then everyone in the court would just order €999 of product on tick and never pay for it. I direct you back to the OP and their littlewoods experience for an example of why this is needed.

That is one area where there is a lot of misinformation out there.

When you get a letter with Solicitors letterhead the case has gone legal. Although it may have come from the same building, the same staff will ring you, it has taken a major step towards legal action. The solicitor whose name is on top of the letter works for the agency and will take legal action if the client directs them to do so.

At this this stage
    • The case has being with creditors collections department
    • The case has being with maybe 2 collections agencies
    • The case has gone legal

There has being time to object or raise queries about the debt, go to MABS or make payments.

Around 100 cases monthly where taken to court.

into the bin with it

Not true. A legal letter will see maybe 40 quid added to the debt, a court date could see 300 added to it. The debtor pays for all the actions taken against them.

It all comes down to means. A client is niot going to take a person to court for a E2000 bill if they are on the dole and have no means to pay it but will take a debtor who earns 35K a year to court for 600 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

More bluntly my solicitor told me "you can't get blood out of a stone".

my3cents wrote: »
    More bluntly my solicitor told me "you can't get blood out of a stone".
    If the stone owns a house you can attach a lien. A bloodless stone known to me has a lien attached to their property due to leases on vehicles.

source?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

Interesting responses to my query, it's genuinely hard to know what to do in this situation, lets be honest, all these companies are overcharging the consumer by a fortune with the price and added interest etc. then these collection agencies, the lowest degree of dirt IMO,

I know of someone dealing with a certain collection agency, this person actually decided to do the so called right thing and negotiate a payment plan, so when they weren't getting enough they kept hounding this person, this person got very frightened as they couldn't afford much to pay back and sent the agency a letter saying they were unwell and to stop harassment, so what did the agency do? only contact social welfare and have this persons JSA stopped due to being unwell and supposedly unavailable for work, so after investigation the JSA was re instated but the slimy manner in which this collection agency went on was appalling, safe to say they never seen a penny more and eventually tucked their tail and went off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Would it ever occur to you to just pay your bills then? I mean plenty of people manage to get by just fine without debt collectors up their arses by being grown ups and paying their way.

liam650 wrote: »
    Interesting responses to my query, it's genuinely hard to know what to do in this situation, lets be honest, all these companies are overcharging the consumer by a fortune with the price and added interest etc. then these collection agencies, the lowest degree of dirt IMO,

I know of someone dealing with a certain collection agency, this person actually decided to do the so called right thing and negotiate a payment plan, so when they weren't getting enough they kept hounding this person, this person got very frightened as they couldn't afford much to pay back and sent the agency a letter saying they were unwell and to stop harassment, so what did the agency do? only contact social welfare and have this persons JSA stopped due to being unwell and supposedly unavailable for work, so after investigation the JSA was re instated but the slimy manner in which this collection agency went on was appalling, safe to say they never seen a penny more and eventually tucked their tail and went off

Ya see Liam, here's the thing, you are informed of the tarriff before you sign up for the service, it's there online and in your contract. If you feel it's too expensive, don't sign up for it. This is the reason why you have to be 18 to enter a contract, it is assumed that at 18 you have gained enough maturity to understand this.

You seem to enter contracts, then complain afterwards about the costs, others check the costs first, then enter the contract. I think life is going to be very difficult for you Liam unless you get a handle on the meaning of responsibility, this will effect you and eventually your family in the future. A court judgement and in particular renegaging on a loan from a lending institution (only a matter of time) means that your credit rating will be shot, that means not having access to mortgage/car loans/business start up loans/credit cards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All these companies are not overcharging their customers. You are not willing to pay your bills repeatedly. If you are genuine then you are the problem, not just for companies but for us other customers who end up paying for your bad debts.

Excuses, excuses, excuses...... Just pay your bills. I actually now hope you do end up in court over some of these recurring debts, at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭donegal_man

....................., it's genuinely hard to know what to do in this situation, lets be honest............................

It genuinely isn't, let's be honest you should have paid your bills and not gotten into this position. The reality of your situation now is that you either engage and make an attempt to get back on track or continue to ignore your debts, try to blame your creditors and end up with court judgements. If you choose to go down the latter route (which some posters on here seem to advocate) there will be long term consequences. As pointed out earlier creditors have up to twelve years for enforcement.

Advertisement