Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GO'H National Champion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So all clubs came together to conspire against, and succeed, individuals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Chivito550 wrote: »
    His comments have taken the gloss off his run for me. His comment on Facebook implying that Freddy is dishonest is irrepairable in my opinion. Sad to see athletes take pot shots like that.

You've taken plenty of potshots at GOH yourself since Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

the Competition Rules be amended so that in order for an athlete to be either a Title Holder/Medallist (to be defined as referring to top 3 finishers or top 3 winning team members, in track and field - outdoor and/or indoor - cross country or road) and/or the holder of a Championship Record (individual or team), the athlete must be a holder of, or be eligible to hold, an Irish passport and/or must reside on the island of Ireland (for a minimum of 6 consecutive months immediately prior to the relevant Championships) and must be a member of an affiliated club on the island of Ireland.

By the way does this mean someone in Freddy's position can still contribute to a team score, as long as it's not a winning score, or a Championship Record score? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

event wrote: »
    You've taken plenty of potshots at GOH yourself since Sunday.

Hardly potshots. I don’t know him as a person. Just calling what I’ve seen and heard in public domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Personally I feel the right decision has been made. Im happy for GOH, he ran an amazing race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Looks like they're going to be talking to Joe about it today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Kenyan lad should have been allowed keep title. He was given it. To then after a few days row back on that is bad form.....they then make any changes in a subtle manner for the future and move on. Just bad manners more than anything else.

If I was GOH I would refuse it...In solidarity with my fellow competitor(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

walshb wrote: »
    The Kenyan lad should have been allowed keep title. He was given it. To then after a few days row back on that is bad form.....they then make any changes in a subtle manner for the future and move on. Just bad manners more than anything else.

At last the voice of sense joins the conversation.

GOH on liveline now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

ooter wrote: »
    GOH on liveline now..

What is the purpose of this now

Went home for 6 weeks, that's a bit much in fairness.

Joe must be off this week :)

Freddie on the line now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Ah Freddy said he knew the rule, that he had to be here for 6 months.

This is a shambles tbh, they are making him look bad which is unfair

Dublin Marathon paid for his flight for him to come back for the race. You couldn't make this stuff up :rolleyes:

Dublin Marathon paid for Freddie's flight back from Kenya so how did athletics Ireland not know he wasn't here for the last 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

you couldn't write it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bernard from Raheny Shamrocks more put out by this whole affair than Freddy it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Murph_D wrote: »
    By the way does this mean someone in Freddy's position can still contribute to a team score, as long as it's not a winning score, or a Championship Record score? :confused:

Yeah he can. In the results on AI website for 2015 he is down as first championship finisher in the team results but not included in the individual mens results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dublin Marathon paid for Freddie's flight back from Kenya so how did athletics Ireland not know he wasn't here for the last 6 months?

two different bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is Bernard a caller who is just a member of Raheny or is he representing the club in an official capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah he can. In the results on AI website for 2015 he is down as first championship finisher in the team results but not included in the individual mens results.
    That's prior to the rule change though. The previous rules had different regulations for individual and team

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Pighead wrote: »
    Bernard from Raheny Shamrocks more put out by this whole affair than Freddy it seems.

Given that people have been putting blame solely on Raheny you can understand him wanting to defend a club he has grown up competing for.

RayCun wrote: »
    two different bodies

Yes but surely they communicate with each other?

Either AAI were ignorant in which case there are serious issues with our governing body have no involvement in our National Championship

OR

They were aware but were happy to let Raheny take the fall

Neither scenario does much for the AAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you were the guy in DCM who decided to pay for Freddie's flight back from Kenya, would you think, "oh, better let Athletics Ireland know about this"? Probably not, you have other things to be doing, championship eligibility is between the club and AAI to sort out.

This whole thing though does make me wonder about the "ordinarily resident" criteria I was talking about earlier. If people are having trouble with "6 months continuous residence before the competition", how much harder would it be to track "183 days of the previous 365"? Who is going to track that? How would it be verified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

walshb wrote: »

€1,000 to many people is a bit much to just leave. It has not being many days. it was 2 working days. sure people are awarded Olympics medals years after events, didn't Rob Heffernan not receive a medal years after an event. should he have just turned it away?

if GOH had of known that Freddy was in the running, would he have made more of an effort? or did he feel that he had a comfortable lead and held back?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

So if the longest you can get a visa for is 6 months then having to reside in Ireland for 6 months PRIOR to the race would make it impossible for Freddie to race for national title

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    If you were the guy in DCM who decided to pay for Freddie's flight back from Kenya, would you think, "oh, better let Athletics Ireland know about this"? Probably not, you have other things to be doing, championship eligibility is between the club and AAI to sort out.

Ah come on Ray, Freddy was at the elite meeting the night before along with Garry. The same meeting where the rules for Gary's singlet were apparently confirmed (according to himself)

Advertisement