Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Get a Switch or Not

• 01-11-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Im seriously considering purchasing a Nintendo Switch. I had a Wii and Ds in the past so im no stranger to Nintendo.

Im slightly worried that once i play the blockbusters (Mario and Zelda) that it will start gathering dust and i will no longer use it.

I currently use a PS4 and have an xbox one which i use the odd time.

Would buying a Nintendo Switch be a waste of money?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    Im seriously considering purchasing a Nintendo Switch. I had a Wii and Ds in the past so im no stranger to Nintendo.

Im slightly worried that once i play the blockbusters (Mario and Zelda) that it will start gathering dust and i will no longer use it.

I currently use a PS4 and have an xbox one which i use the odd time.

Would buying a Nintendo Switch be a waste of money?

Any help is appreciated.

I got mine on launch. Got Zelda, got bored of it fast. Got a couple of NeoGeo games, got bored of them too. Then I played Persona 5 on the PS4 for 130 odd hours and a heap of XCOM and considered flogging my Switch.

Since September I haven’t turned my PS4 on. I’ve sunk countless hours in to Steamworld, Golf Story, Stardew and Mario Odyssey. I’ve been playing exclusively in handheld mode while I’ve been taking a lot of flights and not getting near the tele when my missus is in the sitting room. I’d sell her before I’d sell my Switch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

OnDraught wrote: »
    I got mine on launch. Got Zelda, got bored of it fast. Got a couple of NeoGeo games, got bored of them too. Then I played Persona 5 on the PS4 for 130 odd hours and a heap of XCOM and considered flogging my Switch.

Since September I haven’t turned my PS4 on. I’ve sunk countless hours in to Steamworld, Golf Story, Stardew and Mario Odyssey. I’ve been playing exclusively in handheld mode while I’ve been taking a lot of flights and not getting near the tele when my missus is in the sitting room. I’d sell her before I’d sell my Switch now.

Glad to see where your priorities lie :D:D.

The main reason also running through my mind is how badly supported the Wii U was and how short its lifecycle was. I would hope that the Switch does not serve the same fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have both ps4 pro and Xbox one.

Got the switch day 1.

The must used console is the switch. Play it on the way to work in the morring and on the way home basicly as I am a grown up now that's the only game play I really get now other then the odd Saturday if the girlfirend is working.

I play everything and anything on it if there is a new game I more then likely get it play it and then trade in.

I have loved
    Mario and rabbits
    Deseda 5
    Rayman
    Sonic mania
    B of Issic

It's just the perfect console and I tell everyone to get one as I have never had so much fun playing games in my life on it.

I know it's not as powerful as my pro but it's a handheld and it's a fantastic one at that.

One of my best buys in past few years !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got, well, most consoles and the Switch is by far the preferred device to game on right now, for both myself and my 14 year old son.
    Zelda BotW is like a near bottomless pit of gameplay, while the narrative has an end the game has tons of exploring to do, just wonderful.
    Mario Kart 8 Dx, Arms, the indie scene on the console, and now Super Mario Odyssey, it's the platform that is hosting pretty much everything relevant aside from Destiny 2 right now.
    It may feel the loss of the newest CoD title, and SW Battlefront 2, but perhaps the new year might have some movement on those, though it's irrelevant as you already have consoles capable of playing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think BotW and Odyssey make it, at least, worth experiencing. The fact they're actively making it the go-to home for lower-budget/indie wares means you're not likely to ever go all that long with nothing to play. Sure, you can get'em elsewhere, but, you know, portability factors and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

really wish I didn't just read all these recommendations for the switch as I've been looking at one and I'm not really sure its worth the money as I currently have a ps4.... now I want one :P

would 100% buy onw if I commuted to work via public transport but I drive unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just play Mario Kart while driving and try and line the movements up.

*disclaimer* I do not encourage playing video games or using phones while driving

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I drive a car to work, but still find the time to play games at home, when it's permitted by She Who Must Be Obeyed....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I drive a car to work, but still find the time to play games at home, when it's permitted by She Who Must Be Obeyed....

I do get some play time alright but between work, commuting, soccer training and the gym its not as much as it use to be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

SeanHarty wrote: »
    soccer training and the gym

There's your problem right there.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I have an Xbox one and got my Switch as a birthday present in June. I think I have played my Xbox twice since then and it is just a netflix machine now.

Practically all my gaming has been on Switch since June and I actually find myself gaming far more than I had in the last few years.

Can't recommend it enough (granted I didnt have to pay for it)

Ste- wrote: »
    There's your problem right there.

;)

I know and I wouldn't mind either but I'm not even losing any weight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

To get it or not, it depends on your life situation Op.

I have all current gen consoles, gaming pc, old gaming laptop, 2x new 3ds.
    Got switch a week or two ago.
    Now I work 12h shifts and 2h driving to work and back home. For example this week I am working 7 days. Needless to say I have barely any time.
    Before I got switch I played on my laptop in bed, while misses and ratty sleeping. Thats the only gaming time I manage to squize in. Days off can be hit and miss as I need to spend time with family or do things.
    When I got switch, it went pretty much full time gaming device. Portable mode is just very handy. I have only one game - Zelda. And its the very first zelda, that I am playing more then 2h. So quality of games is damn amazing.

After owning switch, it became clear as day for me that, switch is an Gamer Mammy/Daddy console, who can actually play games in very flexible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Good God man :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

really wish I didn't just read all these recommendations for the switch as I've been looking at one and I'm not really sure its worth the money as I currently have a ps4.... now I want one :P

would 100% buy onw if I commuted to work via public transport but I drive unfortunately :(

Herself has ordered me one for Christmas... It shipped this morning :)

Ill be sneaking in 30 mins gaming everyday at lunchtime now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

All i play on PS4 is Rocket League mainly.. so now i am buying a switch as Rocket League is coming on the 14th November..

Anyone know does Argos still have 10euro ofd when you spend 100euro?

Want to get Mario Kart and Oddyssey ..

Any good deals out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Inviere wrote: »
    Good God man :(

When Ursula Andress talks, you listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I know and I wouldn't mind either but I'm not even losing any weight :pac:

Sure playing Arms with joycons separated is basically boxercise ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just play Mario Kart while driving and try and line the movements up.

*disclaimer* I do not encourage playing video games or using phones while driving
    Even better stick it to the steering wheel and use motion control steering:)

I have an Xbox one and got my Switch as a birthday present in June. I think I have played my Xbox twice since then and it is just a netflix machine now.

Practically all my gaming has been on Switch since June and I actually find myself gaming far more than I had in the last few years.

Can't recommend it enough (granted I didnt have to pay for it)
    in my house we have just sold our Xbox one S to accommodate the purchase of switch number 2 because my family kept giving out when I brought the switch to work and then I'd give out when at home when they hogged it.
    That being said I wouldn't be trading in the ps4 for same reasons, we all love that too, but the Xbox was a dust collecter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are there any good cheaper games for this? Ideally as digital downloads

Or is it 50/60 a pop for the better games?

Very glad someone has asked the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

With the ability to change eshop the games aren’t too badly priced!

I’m playing lots of indies that were all around or under the €20 mark as well.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Are there any good cheaper games for this? Ideally as digital downloads

Or is it 50/60 a pop for the better games?

Very glad someone has asked the question.
    lots of cheap games. I could list a few but don't know what your i to. Stardew valley, if that's your thing is 13.99 for instance. Full retail games aren't cheap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

iamtony wrote: »
    lots of cheap games. I could list a few but don't know what your i to. Stardew valley, if that's your thing is 13.99 for instance. Full retail games aren't cheap though.

Cheers, hopefully there will be a drop, or second hand markets for the other, larger titles

Do you think the older classics might be remastered for it or is 3DS as far as Ocarina of Time will go?

It's about 400 (at least) all in on a Switch and can probably get 3DS and two Zelda for 150 or so (and upgrade later)

Decisions Decisions ;-)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Cheers, hopefully there will be a drop, or second hand markets for the other, larger titles

Do you think the older classics might be remastered for it or is 3DS as far as Ocarina of Time will go?

It's about 400 (at least) all in on a Switch and can probably get 3DS and two Zelda for 150 or so (and upgrade later)

Decisions Decisions ;-)
    I honestly don't know about remasters like ocarina of time, 3ds is a good option also but a totally different experience and lots of used games available cheaper. Your call buddy!

manual_man wrote: »
    Sure playing Arms with joycons separated is basically boxercise ;)

I like your logic on this one, I'm sold :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

To get, to get, to get, to get, to get

G E T

I got one last Sunday. It’s literally the best piece of gaming tech I’ve purchased in the last 10 years and I own all of the current consoles.

I got Mario Odyssey and it’s amazing to play a game that was genuinely built to be fun. So many games these days are developed with loot boxes, micro transactions and patches in mind.

In my mind, Nintendo are the only ones that deliver.

This is my first Nintendo console in 6 years and it’s already my most beloved.

Sleep mode is bloody awesome too! I put my Switch to sleep two days ago, picked it up last night, resumed exactly where I had left off in the game and the battery was spot on!

DO IT!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Another positive for the Switch from my point of view is the battery life.

I had heard the 3 hour estimate for games like BOTW. I thought that was fair enough given the size of the game. But I lost an entire Sunday on Stardew Valley and I dont know how many hours in I was before I got the low battery warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Will I realistically need to get a monster sd card for the switch when I get one?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Will you be buying digital games? Will any of them be full retail titles vs Indies? Will any of those be non 1st party?

If yes then yes.

If you don't trade games in much, a 128GB card pays for itself after 2 full price purchases from the eShop if you go ZA over EU. They're 40ish vs 60. Usually cheaper than Smyths or Argos.

Advertisement