Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I issue a complain in this situation or not?

Options
  • 01-11-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I would like to thank everyone for your words and opinions. I apologize to those who were offended by this post, this was never my intention. To all, I wish you the best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you do need a passport to enter ireland as we arent inside the schengen agreement area
    tesco are british just buy your booze in super valu or dunnes it'll be grand
    be glad you look so toung
    im sorry for your troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco CS will rattle off the same response as you got from the manager - actually probably worse as they're in the UK and will probably tell you about "Challenge 21" which has no legal basis outside of Scotland. You might, at best, get a €10 gift card from them.

The legislation in Ireland doesn't specify what ID somewhere has to accept; it only gives them one potential cover for a prosecution for underage selling which is the Age Card. Virtually nobody over the age of 21 has an Age Card. This is clearly a gap in legislation but no politician is bothered enough to fix it.
    Tigger wrote: »
    you do need a passport to enter ireland as we arent inside the schengen agreement area

They don't. EEA national ID is sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

L1011 wrote: »
    Tesco CS will rattle off the same response as you got from the manager - actually probably worse as they're in the UK and will probably tell you about "Challenge 21" which has no legal basis outside of Scotland. You might, at best, get a €10 gift card from them.

The legislation in Ireland doesn't specify what ID somewhere has to accept; it only gives them one potential cover for a prosecution for underage selling which is the Age Card. Virtually nobody over the age of 21 has an Age Card. This is clearly a gap in legislation but no politician is bothered enough to fix it.

They don't. EEA national ID is sufficient.
    ok
    ive slways needed a passport to fly to the continent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That would be the airline's policy, rather than the country's.

OP: that's a terrible situation and I doubt you'd get anywhere with a complaint but you can take your business somewhere else, and I'd report it to the immigrant council.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I do see a lot of premises advertise that one must have valid garda i.d to purchase alcohol or tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

ok
    ive slways needed a passport to fly to the continent

Not exactly.

You need a passport or a national ID card. As far as I know, Ireland doesn't use a national ID card, and that's the reason why you need your passport.

Returning to the original post, you can send a complain to customer.services@tesco.ie talking about the issue with the ID and the rudeness of the staff. It is understandable that they refuse some IDs if they are not 100% sure that you are the person in the photo, but there is no reason for providing wrong information or being rude to the customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hang on, where has the manager been racist?

Maybe he's just rude to everyone. I don't see any mention of him bringing up nationality?

pinkypinky wrote:
    OP: that's a terrible situation and I doubt you'd get anywhere with a complaint but you can take your business somewhere else, and I'd report it to the immigrant council.

Really? Do you not think the immigrant council has far more to worry about than someone being refused alcohol in Tescos?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

I have no advise but I’m sorry you had this experience ðŸ™ðŸ™. It sounds like both cashier and manager are dicks/pricks/Tits or any nasty insult. If you look older than 21 then there is no reason both cashier or manager could not have served you if you have shown ID. If you both look younger than 21 can you please share your beauty tips

http://www.rrai.ie/_fileupload/Training%20Manuals/RRAI_Training_Manual%20(2).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

In every tesco I have been to they have insisted on passport rather than drivers licence or other forms of ID i happened to have. I'm irish although have been told by some people that I dont look Irish- but I really dont think its based on your nationality or the type of id you wanted to use- its just their policy, yeah they may have been a bit rude to you in your discussion afterwards but i think sometimes people are just rude when challenged. Doesnt make it right though.

Maybe im missing something though,the op was a bit text heavy and i did find it hard to follow- my own fault not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

pinkypinky wrote: »

:pac: What?

The staff didn't think the person was old enough to purchase alcohol. The onus is on the staff to ensure they ARE old enough. They didn't recognise the personal ID and asked for a passport.

Could they have handled it better, yes.

The OP can email a strongly worded complaint to Tesco HQ. They will get a standard response full of platitudes.

There are some words/phrases used above that may indicate the OP may be going a legal route for compensation, but I don't think this Or any Boards.ie forum would be appropriate to advise on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A friend of mine has been refused from buying alcohol in Tesco as well. She is half French and has a French ID.

The cashier asked a manager and the manger said they had to accept her ID on grounds that she could sue Tesco for racism.

My friend was then allowed to buy the alcohol.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    and I'd report it to the immigrant council.

Hang on a second, all they did was refuse alcohol as they weren’t familiar with the ID
    I’m sure they would have preferred to sell the alcohol and let the op leave so they could all get on with their lives
    The cashier made a judgement call and the manager backed them up
    Obviously no need for anyone to be rude, but racism? Immigrant council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

The cashier asked a manager and the manger said they had to accept her ID on grounds that she could sue Tesco for racism.

Yeah the manager said that in front of a customer. Okay....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If Tesco want to ask for passports then that's their prerogative. Simply take your business elsewhere. I don't even understand why you went back when it is so far instead of going to your local offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Hello everyone,

Today I was involved in a very unpleasant situation at Tesco Santry.
    Me together with my partner went to buy some stuff; among the stuff we wanted to purchase, it was a quantity of alcohol. We were asked for an ID, which, due to the fact that we look very young, happens quite often. This is not a problem for us, I am almost 27 years of age and I always carry an ID with me.
    I showed the lady my driver’s license. She took it, looked at it, and told me this is was not good and that I needed to show her something else (only after she took a good look at it). So, I showed her my Personal ID card, which, since I am originated from Romania, look quite different from what Ireland is used with. The she told me that if I want to purchase alcohol, I must present a passport. I was numbed, because who carries around a passport when going to buy some food and some drinks?
    I told her I didn’t have it on me, and tried to understand why we’ve got this situation in which none of presented ID’s weren’t accepted . She told me very annoyed and very unprofessional that “this is the internal policy of the company” and took off to get the manager. When I asked her why, she pointed out that I must not address her another word (honestly I was a bit annoyed and it could be sensed in my voice, but I didn’t act up or spoken in an ugly matter, as the lady spoken to me).
    After we waited for about 4-5 minutes there, a man came with the lady. He wasn’t very polite, like we bothered him from other tasks, and didn’t even present himself. I walked him through the situation. He listened, and then told me that when buying alcohol, if the cashier thinks you aren’t appropriate of age, can ask for an ID and that they only consider passports as valid ID for purchasing alcohol. When I asked if he could show me this “internal rule”, or if could point where I can find it online, he tried to change the subject, only giving me vague information like “it exists of course” or “our personal is very well trained and they are aware of the rules.” He told me that if I want to buy those things, I must return with my passport.
    So I went home and took my passport (I live 20 minutes from this particular Tesco) and returned to talk with this manager.
    I was pissed, humiliated and treated with so much disrespect; I never thought I could see that in this country. So I’ve decided to record our conversation this time, to be able to prove how this particular manager is talking is talking with a customer. When I say that, I must refer to the fact that I am working for more than 3 years in a customer environment, and I know from personal experience how excellent customer service&care must be provided in any situation. I this case, these 2 Tesco employees showed a big lack of customer services.
    Returning to the story, I arrived there, with my passport, and saw the manager. I asked if we can discuss a bit. I’ve explain the situation, and even asked what should I have done if I only traveled with my personal ID card and if I didn’t owned a passport, which, being a member of European Union, is perfectly legal. He was again very vague, so vague I honestly don’t remember his answer (but we can find it from the voice record I’ve took). Then re-explained the same nonsense he told me before (please note that at this point he still didn’t even looked at my passport, even if I tried to give it to him). Then I kindly asked again, if he could show me where, black on white, is written this “only passport ID-ing” regulation. He started to become pissed, and even raised his voice at me, and told me he is not obligated to show me anything. This is normal, nobody is obliged to anything, but this is not the way to handle things. Then kept trying to end the endless conversation and to take me to buy the things we had. At some point, in our conversation, I’ve opened my passport and kindly ask him to check it, and told me what age am I, so he would be convinced that I was not lying. When I’ve asked where can I issue a complain, his replies were not at all professional, he kept making big eyes at me and told me I can issue a complain to him, with a very superior attitude towards me, like I don’t have what to do further. After that, at my insistence, he told me an e-mail address where I can took my complain further. Also, at some point after my returning with the passport
    Fast forwarding, when I saw I wouldn’t get any understanding, I decided to leave, without purchasing any of the things I wanted to buy, opting for another store in the vicinity.
    This racist situation left me embarrassed, with lots of time lost, humiliated and shocked. And I didn’t even received a “we are sorry about this situation” which, even if I know it’s a standard text (or, in this case, should have been), it would have been comforting.
    I ask again, dear reader: what should I have done if I only traveled with my personal ID card and if I didn’t owned a passport? Because, being a member of European Union, it’s perfectly legal to travel only with the ID card. Was this a racist action against me, because I want to live and work here and because I am an immigrant? What can be done in this kind of situation? Why they spoken to me that way? Because I don't look my age and I look so young, that they think they just can wipe the floor with me? The employers are right and the customer, no matter who he/she is, is left humiliated and broken? Because, from my research and personal experience, this is not the first time this happens within Tesco group.

That’s why I’ve decided to writethis, maybe something can be done to avoid such stressful and humiliating situations in the future.

What should be done in a situation like this? What would you do?

Thank you for your time into reading this.

Best regards,
    Nicoleta-Maria

I think you have been treated very shabbily by the store. You had valid ID, which had your photograph and date of birth on it. The not too strenuous task on the part of the checkout operator was to look at it and compare the picture with the real person.

You need to get an apology for the behaviour of the staff, and perhaps a letter to the manager should be sent. The person who was rude to you was probably not the person in charge of the store.

Positive action is also worth considering:
    1. Go shopping again if you need frozen goods for the freezer and some alcohol. If you are refused on the basis of their not liking your ID, politely state the position and wait patiently. Meanwhile the queue of other shoppers will be growing. Should the checkout operator send for a manager and this person refuses you, leave the trolley (remember the frozen goods!), smile politely and move away.
    2. Get another trolley and repeat the activity. Depending on the number of checkouts and the busyness of the store, this should generate a satisfactory level of chaos until 'management' gets the message.
    3. If they really get shirty and have security throw you out, come back with your friends, repeat steps 1 to 2.
    Steps 1 to 3 will only irritate a small number of people who are poorly paid so contacting your local public representative, complaining to the Equality Authority (your ID was treated less favourably than an Irish teenager's) and the Immigrant Council could be worth a try. If writing to the store send a copy to the local representative (TD or Councillor).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Even if one has I.d shop reserves the right to refuse sale.

I.D doesn't mean you get what you want.
    Your I.D could look fake or been not an Irish I.D could be totally foreign to staff and not have a clue if valid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

cbreeze wrote: »
    1. Go shopping again if you need frozen goods for the freezer and some alcohol. If you are refused on the basis of their not liking your ID, politely state the position and wait patiently. Meanwhile the queue of other shoppers will be growing. Should the checkout operator send for a manager and this person refuses you, leave the trolley (remember the frozen goods!), smile politely and move away.
    2. Get another trolley and repeat the activity. Depending on the number of checkouts and the busyness of the store, this should generate a satisfactory level of chaos until 'management' gets the message.
    3. If they really get shirty and have security throw you out, come back with your friends, repeat steps 1 to 2.
    Steps 1 to 3 will only irritate a small number of people who are poorly paid so contacting your local public representative, complaining to the Equality Authority (your ID was treated less favourably than an Irish teenager's) and the Immigrant Council could be worth a try. If writing to the store send a copy to the local representative (TD or Councillor).

Or just shop in dunnes stores instead.

I think you have been treated very shabbily by the store. You had valid ID, which had your photograph and date of birth on it. The not too strenuous task on the part of the checkout operator was to look at it and compare the picture with the real person.

You need to get an apology for the behaviour of the staff, and perhaps a letter to the manager should be sent. The person who was rude to you was probably not the person in charge of the store.

Or, plan b, bring your passport next time you want to buy alcohol there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

pilly wrote:
    Yeah the manager said that in front of a customer. Okay....

They did! Maybe they weren't a manager. She might have been a supervisor. She was young enough and laid back. She just said it was ok to the cashier and that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Op you didn't have to go back, why would you even bother collecting your passport and going back to argue with them?

Complain to the head office if you like but they have a right to ask for recognisable ID - A Romanian driving license and ID card is unfamiliar here whereas a passport is obviously an official proof of age so it's understandable, though they could have explained it better you would have been better off just leaving and forgetting about it.

There was no racism here IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Racist? Contact the immigrant council?

You need to come down to earth people. Tesco have a think 25 policy, no obligation (no company had) to show you any of their internal company documentation and the OP was the one to make a deal out of it by asking to discuss it.

Happens to people of all nationalities on a daily basis. Might seem harsh, but get over it.

I'd happily bet money that this didn't happen line they did it did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

. . .

It is not as simple as just looking at whatever ID the customer shows and comparing the photograph. If that was the case anyone could laminate a piece of paper to make some kind of ID of another country. It is not clear from the original post what was the problem with the Driving Licence or what country it was from, but there must have been some doubt about it, and the Personal ID Card was unfamiliar. The shops can't be expected to know what genuine IDs from every corner of the world look like. They are entitled to insist on specific requirements. The law is very strict on selling to minors. The guidelines given to shops state that while shops may accept Passports or Driving Licences if they wish, the only acceptable defence in court to a charge of sale of alcohol to an underage person is the Garda National Age Card. There is no mention of National ID Cards. The guidelines also state that it is better to refuse a sale than to mistakenly sell to someone under 18 and end up in court.
    This was not a case of racism. It was a case of the store being very careful. The original poster and their partner know that they both look very young for their age, so they should carry suitable ID on the occasions when they wish to purchase alcohol.

They had an ID but Tesco didn't need to accept it.

The rest of your post is just childish nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

tesco are british just buy your booze in super valu or dunnes it'll be grand
    be glad you look so toung
    im sorry for your troubles

Great answer, your right they both should be blessed they look so young
    I was buying beer in Lidl, and the guy in front of me was asked for ID, when it was my turn she scanned it, and i asked a a joke, "do you need to see my ID"
    All I got was a smirk

BTW, Lidl and all there staff are super, I was just disappointed I couldn't pretend anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've been asked for my passport as proof of age countless times in Tesco. It only seems to happen there and nowhere else I'm buying alcohol. It's not racist it's just their policy, apparently.
    TBH I barely see how he was even rude to you, never mind racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Retailers crap themselves at risk of under age selling. Still no excuse for rudeness.
    Go to US where u can't step inside a pub without passport, no matter what your age

TheDriver wrote: »
    Retailers crap themselves at risk of under age selling.

They get test purchases fairly regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Be very careful calling people racist.
    From years spent working in retail, we were told that the Age Card or Passport were the only acceptable forms of ID.
    If these weren’t sought, the shop could be faced with a large fine and/or temporary closure.
    After that, it was changed to the server at the till ould be faced with a large fine and loss of their job.
    Now usually there are signs in the off licence and around the tills stating valid ID.
    I was sympathetic until you threw in the race card, and to be honest I’m sure you had more than enough attitude.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement