Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I issue a complain in this situation or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

SteM wrote: »
    Why are you quoting the tesco.com website? That's UK site, quote the Irish site if you want to prove a point.
    It’s the same policy they use over here so it’s still relevant and a lot retail use the same or similar practice in Ireland, as in if you look under 25 you are asked for ID and I resume the The onus is on the cashier or manager to make sure an ID is genuine...if you haven’t seen a drivers license from a particular country it very hard to know if it’s genuine or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

harr wrote: »
    It’s the same policy they use over here so it’s still relevant and a lot retail use the same or similar practice in Ireland, as in if you look under 25 you are asked for ID....it’s really not that hard to understand.

Tesco in Ireland accept

"Portman cards
    Citizen cards
    Military ID cards (Armed Forces Identity Card)
    Validate cards"

Really? The Portman card - I doubt Tesco Ireland would accept a UK proof-of-age card that was discontinued 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

SteM wrote: »
    Tesco in Ireland accept

"Portman cards
    Citizen cards
    Military ID cards (Armed Forces Identity Card)
    Validate cards"

Really? The Portman card - I doubt Tesco Ireland would accept a UK proof-of-age card that was discontinued 10 years ago.

Why not? I doubt the persons age or date of birth has changed since it was discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NicoletaMaria

Cordell wrote: »
    With this entitled and aggressive attitude that's no wonder they were rude to you. Rude, not racist.

Dear writer, I was extremely nice and with a very good attitude, because I was raised that way. They were annoyed and angry because I had something to say and I was right. If you want, I am glad to share the audio record I've took, so you can hear what attitude each side had, maybe that way you learn not to attack when someone is down. Thanks a lot.....

harr wrote: »
    Simple matter is they did not recognise the ID you gave them just because it was from a particular country does not make it a racial issue ...as mentioned before my paper driving license has been refused many times in Irish shops. ...unless of course the management said very precisely that he wasn’t serving you because you were from a certain country.
    They had no problem giving up the alcohol with a passport..
    All stores have different policies but it’s more than likely the only ID they take is a passport.
    Better off putting it behind you and shop elsewhere because you haven’t a chance of bringing this any further as it’s store policy and they don’t have to serve you.

It seems what I wrote is not understood...the issue is not the requested ID, is the way they treat me, the humiliation, they way they are handling situations. How they talked to me is no way you can talk with someone, even if you consider them your personal slave...that horrible it was. I am here for a while, and I see this kind of stuff only happened to foreigners...Why? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,973 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doesn't it say in your passport it is not to be handed to anyone that isn't a passport official or gard?

When did you start the recording?
    Why did you need to record the conversation?

When I've returned with the passport. And why? Because it's not the first time this happens for me, and I knew that if the things will escalate, no one will believe me, a foreigner. That way, I can prove my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It seems what I wrote is not understood...the issue is not the requested ID, is the way they treat me, the humiliation, they way they are handling situations. How they talked to me is no way you can talk with someone, even if you consider them your personal slave...that horrible it was. I am here for a while, and I see this kind of stuff only happened to foreigners...Why? :(

What exactly did they say to you that makes you think they have an issue with your race? "The way they treated me", isn't enough- if you are going to accuse someone of something as serious as being racist towards you, you have to have something more concrete than he hurt my feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

Doesn't it say in your passport it is not to be handed to anyone that isn't a passport official or gard?

No, it says that it cannot be taken away by unauthorized persons, cannot be used as collateral and cannot be offered to a 3rd party for keeping. Handing it over for a quick inspection is ok. The word "for keeping" is there in the document.

Translated from a Romanian passport. So no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

anna080 wrote: »
    What exactly did they say to you that makes you think they have an issue with your race?

And what race would that be, the Romanian race? :confused:

• Advertisement

Be very careful calling people racist.
    From years spent working in retail, we were told that the Age Card or Passport were the only acceptable forms of ID.
    If these weren’t sought, the shop could be faced with a large fine and/or temporary closure.
    After that, it was changed to the server at the till ould be faced with a large fine and loss of their job.
    Now usually there are signs in the off licence and around the tills stating valid ID.
    I was sympathetic until you threw in the race card, and to be honest I’m sure you had more than enough attitude.

It seems people don't understand. Is not about the ID, is about the way they handled things. And the "race card" was not thrown like a random thing, it's not the first time this happens. And I honestly don't know why everyone that complains about this are, every time, foreigners. I don't want to insult anybody, I just want to show what these kind of situations can do to a person, so I honestly apologize to you if my words affected you in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It seems people don't understand. Is not about the ID, is about the way they handled things. And the "race card" was not thrown like a random thing, it's not the first time this happens. And I honestly don't know why everyone that complains about this are, every time, foreigners. I don't want to insult anybody, I just want to show what these kind of situations can do to a person, so I honestly apologize to you if my words affected you in some way.

After reading 60+ responses what have you decided to do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You had an argument with a customer service representative. You were offended by what you perceived to be rudeness on their behalf during the exchange.
    This happens in retail every day in every country in the world.
    You know that because you work in retail.
    Why have you decided it was some kind of racism?
    Exactly what reference was made to your “race” that made you feel discriminated against?

So what did they do or say to you that made you feel like they were treating you differently or being intolerant due to your race?

Sorry NicoletaMaria - embarrassing I can see, but there wasn't anything remotely racist about it!

The shop staff we're probably just assholes, it happens sometimes. Maybe in the girls defence she didn't recognise your driving licence, maybe you look different now than in your photo, or maybe she just had never seen a Romanian driving licence and didn't know if it was real or fake? Who knows.

Just put it down to experience and buy your stuff elsewhere in future.

The sad thing is that I just had my driver's licence changed (one month ago), when I have it switched to the Ireland's format...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

I dont think a passport is mandatory for Irish peeps to buy drink. Perhaps the persons nationality has something to do with it.
    Its interesting that although all EU citizens are supposed to be equal , a lot of Irish people dont seem to agree, requiring them to carry more mandatory id , for simple transactions , that is not required for local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

anna080 wrote:
    So what did they do or say to you that made you feel like they were treating you differently or being intolerant due to your race?

This is what I'd love to know, I don't see why OP has suggested its a race thing? Maybe they had meant to add something to the original post that mentioned this, but I can't see it. Am I missing something, if so, can someone point it out?? And I'm not trying to belittle OP in anyway, if they feel that was how they were treated, then I wasn't there and can't deny it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I've had almost an identical experience to you in terms of being refused alcohol because of my ID and being generally rude to me from a different store (not Tesco). I'm Irish and it still happened to me so it wasn't necessarily racist - you just got dealing with an incredibly rude person. I would complain to headoffice about the way you were treated, course. It wasn't right that even on production of the appropriate ID you were still refused custom and dealt with in a rude manner but it wasn't racist and I wouldn't say it was unless you have an exact phrase used by the manager in question that would leave this in no doubt.

In regards recording the conversation - recording someone without their knowledge sits on dubious legal grounds as far as I know.

nkav86 wrote: »
    This is what I'd love to know, I don't see why OP has suggested its a race thing? Maybe they had meant to add something to the original post that mentioned this, but I can't see it. Am I missing something, if so, can someone point it out?? And I'm not trying to belittle OP in anyway, if they feel that was how they were treated, then I wasn't there and can't deny it

Clearly we can infer they are foreign and we can see they were asked for an unusual amount of identification. Its not unrealistic to suggest nationality played a part.

teddyhead wrote:
    I dont think a passport is mandatory for Irish peeps to buy drink. Perhaps the persons nationality has something to do with it. Its interesting that although all EU citizens are supposed to be equal , a lot of Irish people dont seem to agree, requiring them to carry more mandatory id , for simple transactions , that is not required for local people.

I took it that, the reason OP needed a passport was because the ID they gave originally wasn't one the store was familiar with and therefore couldn't accept. No, a passport isn't mandatory, but an equivalent/sufficient form of ID is.

• Advertisement

teddyhead wrote:
    Clearly we can infer they are foreign and we can see they were asked for an unusual amount of identification. Its not unrealistic to suggest nationality played a part.

Clearly, is a bit of a stretch! I think it is unrealistic given they suggested nothing credible to support your findings.

teddyhead wrote: »

I'm Irish and have been asked countless times in Tesco for my passport for proof of age. They weren't discriminating against her, in fact they were treating her the same as they treat everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I dont think a passport is mandatory for Irish peeps to buy drink. Perhaps the persons nationality has something to do with it.
    Its interesting that although all EU citizens are supposed to be equal , a lot of Irish people dont seem to agree, requiring them to carry more mandatory id , for simple transactions , that is not required for local people.

I actually looked this up when I had my issue and the Responsible Retailers Association of Ireland (which give advice on drink to shops) does state that a passport is the most reliable form of ID and recommends it. There's no legal requirement but if the shop displays the policy clearly, then they can insist on it. It's often nothing to do with being local - although that may help people as the shop staff know them and may know their age or seen their ID before - and more to do with the shop covering themselves against underage sale of alcohol.

A nationality is not a race, for starts.

If the OP could just tell us what the staff said that made her feel discriminated against (for example “oh you’re Romanian/French/Australian/Scottish we don’t serve people from there in here” would be discrimination).
    Just because your perception is that you’ve been discriminated against doesn’t make it so.

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm Irish and have been asked countless times in Tesco for my passport for proof of age. They weren't discriminating against her, in fact they were treating her the same as they treat everyone else.

Same here, only I dont have a passport. I have an ancient student ID , which is always fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

splinter65 wrote: »

If the OP could just tell us what the staff said that made her feel discriminated against (for example “oh you’re Romanian/French/Australian/Scottish we don’t serve people from there in here” would be discrimination).
    Just because your perception is that you’ve been discriminated against doesn’t make it so.

The term racism is now used widely for all sorts of discrimination and prejudice so we might just as well go with it.

But you can’t decide that the shops policy on anything doesn’t apply to me because I’m not Irish either.

Cordell wrote: »
    The term racism is now used widely for all sorts of discrimination and prejudice so we might just as well go with it.

Well, no, actually we won’t “go with it”.
    People who do in fact suffer as a result of real racism would disagree with you.
    Also if you can indicate where, and on what grounds, in the OPs account she was discriminated against or the subject of prejudice, then you should point it out, because so far the OP has declined all invitations to do just that.

Tesco always ask for either Garda age card or passport. Since the op isn't Irish she wouldn't have an age card so they required her passport. In the time she went home to get it and come back she could have taken her business elsewhere. She went looking for a problem. The Tesco policy is a stupid one I'll admit that, but you don't get to cry racist because you have hurt feelings about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

splinter65 wrote: »

Race:
    a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement