Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I issue a complain in this situation or not?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Im not trying to be overly pc or anti Tescos or anything but It would be good to have a consistent system.
    There is a trend towards 'jobsworthy' behaviour in this country. People overstepping or misunderstanding their 'authorithy'.

Also id be interested to know if people think that I , as a youthful looking, Irish 30 something , with no passport, am theoretically banned from buying beer?
    Some statements seem to indicate as much . If so , is this proper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

splinter65 wrote: »
    Well, no, actually we won’t “go with it”.
    People who do in fact suffer as a result of real racism would disagree with you.
    Also if you can indicate where, and on what grounds, in the OPs account she was discriminated against or the subject of prejudice, then you should point it out, because so far the OP has declined all invitations to do just that.

Discrimination and prejudice feels the same when it's based on race, nationality, ethnicity, sex, sexuality, religion and so on.
    And I'm not saying that the OP was discriminated, it was a general comment. In fact, I stated that I doubt that the OP was subjected to racism or discrimination, and that she pulls the race card too easily. I also said that me and OP are from the same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

anna080 wrote: »
    Tesco always ask for either Garda age card or passport. Since the op isn't Irish she wouldn't have an age card so they required her passport. In the time she went home to get it and come back she could have taken her business elsewhere. She went looking for a problem. The Tesco policy is a stupid one I'll admit that, but you don't get to cry racist because you have hurt feelings about it.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Cordell wrote: »
    Discrimination and prejudice feels the same when it's based on race, nationality, ethnicity, sex, sexuality, religion and so on.

We have Irish people that have been treated in broadly the same way as the OP. Where do you see that racism has occurred?

Do you think you've enough information from what has been given to be in agreement with an accusation of racism?

Edit - I see your edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Cordell wrote: »
    And I'm not saying that the OP was discriminated, it was a general comment. In fact, I stated that I doubt that the OP was subjected to racism or discrimination, and that she pulls the race card too easily. I also said that me and OP are from the same country.

Well there’s “actual”racism and predjudice which is 100% disgusting and always wrong, and then there’s being offended because someone was rude to you, which is unpleasant but not prejudice and not racism and part of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

And that's exactly what I've said in my very first post on this thread - not getting it your way and someone being rude to you is not racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marn02

"In regards recording the conversation - recording someone without their knowledge sits on dubious legal grounds as far as I know."

That's what I thought too!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

anna080 wrote: »
    Tesco always ask for either Garda age card or passport.

Not true. Ive used ropey(old,out of date,college no longer exists) college ID. One time, I just rattled off my date of birth and star sign. Got served.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Marn02 wrote: »
    "In regards recording the conversation - recording someone without their knowledge sits on dubious legal grounds as far as I know."

That's what I thought too!

This is not true, and has been dealt with many time on Boards.

As long as 1 person knows its being recorded (You) it is perfectly legal to record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

OP I've had almost an identical experience to you in terms of being refused alcohol because of my ID and being generally rude to me from a different store (not Tesco). I'm Irish and it still happened to me so it wasn't necessarily racist - you just got dealing with an incredibly rude person. I would complain to headoffice about the way you were treated, course. It wasn't right that even on production of the appropriate ID you were still refused custom and dealt with in a rude manner but it wasn't racist and I wouldn't say it was unless you have an exact phrase used by the manager in question that would leave this in no doubt.

In regards recording the conversation - recording someone without their knowledge sits on dubious legal grounds as far as I know.

She was not refused service when she returned with her passport, she refused to then buy the goods. After all that effort. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The OP has requested that the thread be locked (and has cleared their opening post) so it's being locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement