Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I solve this matrix?

Options
  • 02-11-2017 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody could help me solve these questions? I have been working on them for hours and haven't found any help online. Any part of the script would be much appreciated -Thanks

Matrix A is given as  
    A=[1 3 5; 7 9 11; 13 15 17]
    Matrix B is given as  
    B=[2 4 6; 8 10 12; 14 16 18]
    (i) use nested “for” loops to determine a matrix C from the matrix product (*) of A and B
    (Note: Here you need to use the “for” loops to sum the products of the elements of A and B,

Where cij is the (i,j) element of matrix C, etc..  

(ii) In your script you must use an “if” statement to check that each element of C is identical
    to the answer given by the matlab command (A*B).  Your script should write a warning in
    the command window if any elements are found to be different from the matlab solution.  

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Some pseudocode for you (using a c++/ c# / java format) :
    for( i = 1; i <= 3; i++)
    {
        for( j = 1; j <= 3; j++)
        {
            c(i,j) = ......
        }
    }

I'm not going to do the thing for you, but I'll give you a hint.
    When you multiply two 3*3 matrices like the following:
    a11 a12 a13
    a21 a22 a23
    a31 a32 a33
    and
    b11 b12 b13
    b21 b22 b23
    b31 b32 b33
    the entries for c11,c21 and c22 are:
    c11 = a11b11+a12b21+a13b31
    c21 = a21b11+a22b21+a23b31
    c22 = a21b22+a22b22+a23b32

If you write out the others, you'll see a pattern (some index values will correspond to i, others to j and others will be constant).
    Come up with a formula that fits this pattern and that's what'll go in the inner loop above.

I've never used matlab so I can't help with the second part, but I'd imagine you'd want some nested loops like the above to compare c(i,j) against the ith row and jth column of the matlab result.

Advertisement