Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best repair shop for gears (Dublin)

Options
  • 02-11-2017 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I've always had trouble finding a place in Dublin to do a decent tune up on my gears. Most of the time I'll bring in my bike with issues with the derailer rubbing and they can never quite getting it right.

Can anyone recommend a good shop for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what side of the city are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Can you not have a go yourself? YouTube has lots of good videos showing exactly what to do (GCN springs to mind as I used them recently) and it’s a lot easier than you think - unless something is damaged or incorrectly fitted in which case, you could be a while...

Can you not have a go yourself? YouTube has lots of good videos showing exactly what to do (GCN springs to mind as I used them recently) and it’s a lot easier than you think - unless something is damaged or incorrectly fitted in which case, you could be a while...

Was that the one for re-indexing ? Followed that one myself a few weeks ago when I had some noise going back up the cassette and took me about an hour to sort. I'll be much quicker next time now I know what I'm doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time doing it can be very frustrating but well worth learning to do. My advice would be do it with the bike setup on a turbo with some resistance. Also worth checking for anything interrupting the clean movement of the cable and replace cables if in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

what side of the city are you?

Centre and west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

smacl wrote: »
    First time doing it can be very frustrating but well worth learning to do. My advice would be do it with the bike setup on a turbo with some resistance. Also worth checking for anything interrupting the clean movement of the cable and replace cables if in doubt.

I learned that it is impossible to index gears when you have fitted a brake outer, as it has more give and won't take enough cable tension to work correctly!

OP, sorry don't know any bike shops in your area but google will find you some. All should be able to help you out

I learned that it is impossible to index gears when you have fitted a brake outer, as it has more give and won't take enough cable tension to work correctly!

I learned it doesn't matter how loudly or floridly you swear at the bike, it doesn't remove chain rub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

smacl wrote: »

I learned it doesn't matter how loudly or floridly you swear at the bike, it doesn't remove chain rub ;)

I've also recently learnt that swearing at it doesn't make it go any faster.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I've also recently learnt that swearing at it doesn't make it go any faster.

Funny enough though, I've also found there's no way of removing a bottom bracket that doesn't involve a lot of swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

grizzly wrote: »
    Centre and west.

If you really don't think you can get to grips with it yourself, then Dara here sounds like he might be in your neighbourhood and he's a bit of a perfectionist, so should see you right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement