Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP Link TL-MR6400 4G Mobile broadband Router not connecting to Eir post Meteor change

Options
  • 02-11-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I have a TP Link TL-MR6400 device that worked perfectly till about a week ago however now it will not connect to Eir mobile broadband. It stopped on the old meteor SIM so I went to the shop and got a new Eir SIM and still no luck.

The SIM is fine as I tested on an iPhone and internet works so its an issue between the TP Link TL-MR6400 and the new Eir network ID.

I have manually created various profiles used the current recommended ones http://support.eir.ie/article/How_do_I_check_my_internet_settings and pulled my hair out, any technical advice why this is happening with this device. I am also on to TP Link and they have not come up with a solution.

Note the router has been factory reset, has the very latest firmware and works on vodafone fine so all obvious settings have been tried.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

I have a TP Link TL-MR6400 device that worked perfectly till about a week ago however now it will not connect to Eir mobile broadband. It stopped on the old meteor SIM so I went to the shop and got a new Eir SIM and still no luck.

The SIM is fine as I tested on an iPhone and internet works so its an issue between the TP Link TL-MR6400 and the new Eir network ID.

I have manually created various profiles used the current recommended ones http://support.eir.ie/article/How_do_I_check_my_internet_settings  and pulled my hair out, any technical advice why this is happening with this device. I am also on to TP Link and they have not come up with a solution.

Note the router has been factory reset, has the very latest firmware and works on vodafone fine so all obvious settings have been tried.
    Hi andrewdeerpark,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you have tried a new SIM tried your SIM in a different device and done a factory reset, we couldn't troubleshoot further from here I'm afraid. If you PM me your number, PIN and full name I'll have a look at your account for you to see if there are any issues, however, I doubt there would be if your SIM worked in a different device.

I'd recommend bringing the device into an eir store to see if they can help, if not, I'd recommend picking up a new device.

- Adam 

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Adam
    I believe I have made some progress, in the mobile network profile if you select 3G only it will dial up and connect using any of the APN settings for Meteor or Eir.  Then go back to the profile and select 4G preferred and it will eventually find an LTE Signal and connect 4G with the necessary speed boost. Note 4G reception is available all the time but you cannot connect straight via a 4G dial in. This has been confirmed by the TP Link engineer via a remote session to the device last night.

Whatever Eir have done to there network it seems you cannot connect direct via 4G dial in, rather connect initially 3G then change to 4G preferred then the device is 4G connected. The problem with this is its not seamless and you are logging in to the web interface and changing settings to get to 4G eventually (screen shot attached)

I would advise your engineers of this issue and hopefully you can find a solution; direct 4G dialup where an LTE signal is present as was the case before, otherwise the device is pretty useless with Eir Mobile broadband.

This has only happened in the past 2 weeks so some new software upgrade on the Eir mobile network must have broken this device.

Just to make it clear this issue still exists and is not resolved the current workaround is useless so can you please investigate further I can PM you the effected mobile number and you can check if its a valid 4G SIM or not I believe it is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Just to make it clear this issue still exists and is not resolved the current workaround is useless so can you please investigate further I can PM you the effected mobile number and you can check if its a valid 4G SIM or not I believe it is..
    Sorry to hear this. If you PM me your details I'll look into this for you, however, you may need to get a new device if your SIM is picking up service on a different device.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cbyrneireland

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this. If you PM me your details I'll look into this for you, however, you may need to get a new device if your SIM is picking up service on a different device.

- Adam
    Andrew I have an exact same issue. "Old meteor mobile broadband customer."

Can you re confirm that your "New SIM" card works in another device for 4G

They tried my "New SIM" in their own device in the Eir shop
    but that failed to connect to 4 G

My "New SIM" also failed in my TP Link MR200
    But if I test with a 3 Sim card, my device connects fine for 4G.

We have ruled out Location and the Device
    The issue is on the backend EIR network
    Something has changed on their side

Know of other people affected by this also

What have EIR said to you ?

• Advertisement

cbyrneireland
    I had to give up on it Eir were useless, I changed SIM twice and in fairness the shop done there best. Its an issue with the Eir network, if I was you I would see if it is happening on a Huawei Router as they can connect on a 3G signal then hop up to the 4G network (I have only ever tested this with Three) the TP Link if it detects a 4G signal will attempt to connect 4G straight and if this fails it will give up.

To be fair to TP Link this device worked fine for many months this is since Meteor moved to Eir and changed something in their network.

I gave up on it, bought a Three SIM; signal and speed in this location not as good as Eir however it got the issue off my plate without resolution.

Best of luck if you get anywhere with this issue please reply back to this thread. As for the Eir moderates I do hope they escalate this issue to there engineers though I don't have a lot of faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cbyrneireland

Andrew can you try this APN. broadband.mymeteor.ie
    Think this may work for you, has worked for me.

Im waiting for Eir to confirm that this is the correct APN for Meteor & Eir Data SIMs.

Can any of the Eir Reps on this post confirm please

If it works for you
    • I suspect the following may have happened
    • Old Meteor APNs were disabled ie isp.mymeteor.ie
    • New data SIMs that you and I received had the wrong default APN assigned to them
    • ie data.mymeteor.ie or data.eir.ie APNs for phones not data devices.
    [*]

Poses the question, how many legacy Meteor mobile broadband customers are configured with the old APN ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Hi there everyone

We can confirm that the settings would be broadband.myeirmobile.ie for eir and old Meteor customers.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kinlough1

tried the new profiles on tp-link archer mr 200 router.
    still will not connect to eir 4g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Andrew can you try this APN. broadband.mymeteor.ie
    Think this may work for you, has worked for me.

Im waiting for Eir to confirm that this is the correct APN for Meteor & Eir Data SIMs.

Can any of the Eir Reps on this post confirm please

If it works for you
    • I suspect the following may have happened
    • Old Meteor APNs were disabled ie isp.mymeteor.ie
    • New data SIMs that you and I received had the wrong default APN assigned to them
    • ie data.mymeteor.ie or data.eir.ie APNs for phones not data devices.

[*]

Poses the question, how many legacy Meteor mobile broadband customers are configured with the old APN ?

I had some very odd issues a few days ago (after the store in Donaghmede fixed my disabled sim, this is a store which doesn't exist according to Eir's store map!). My 3G dongle would do the initial connect but then could not join the network. I was pretty sure that this was some form of APN issue. My default was still "broadband.mymeteor.ie".

I didn't have internet access to look up the new one (broadband.myeirmobile.ie) but before I could change it, it started working again. I think what you are saying above is likely what happened, possibly "broadband.mymeteor.ie" got disabled as well as "isp.mymeteor.ie" and perhaps someone put it back. Some breakage happening in the migration?

For a communications company, Eir (and Meteor) could do more in the way of communications. Instead of sending "welcome to the new rebranded Eir" or whatever, how about sending the new APN if the old one has expired?

I also note the Eir mobile T&Cs say: "We may terminate Prepay Services if you fail to top up the Service by a minimum of €5.00 of purchased call credit at least once every 150 days". Which is a slight issue if you are running a 6 month offer but whatever. BUT their own T&Cs also say: "We will attempt to advise you of an impending suspension if you fail to meet the minimum requirement for applying call credit to the Services." Eh, no they won't. Not on a 3G SIM they won't. Not sure they do that on a normal mobile but they didn't send a text to my 3G dongle and I got caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gavgalway

I had the same issue
    Did not know what was happening changed SIM brought new SIM sent back router was all over the place ended up eir changed settings .was on to eir loads of Times they have not a clue what's happening could not get set up on New eir app to check status of SIM cards would not accept my email because it was used on a meteor app
    In the end got sim working on 3 g as you said useing a speedport router
    I
    Question is I like the 180 day 50 g SIM by eir as I don't need to top up every month
    Is there anything else out there close to this offer would love to tell eir to shove it .

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Hello, has anybody found a resolution to this problem, my new eir data sim card will not connect to 4g, it will only connect to 3g at the start. I am using apn broadband.mymeteor.ie also broadband.myeirmobile.ie does the same thing.

Its very frustrating that when we switched to eir from meteor this is now happening and still happening with no fix?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Hello, has anybody found a resolution to this problem, my new eir data sim card will not connect to 4g, it will only connect to 3g at the start. I am using apn broadband.mymeteor.ie also broadband.myeirmobile.ie does the same thing.

Its very frustrating that when we switched to eir from meteor this is now happening and still happening with no fix?
    Hi Mods, can I get an unlock code for my Huawei e3372 lte stick, seeing as this issue is still unresolved? Thx

Hi Mods, can I get an unlock code for my Huawei e3372 lte stick, seeing as this issue is still unresolved? Thx
    Hi Eir mods, how can I get an unlock code for my broadband stick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi Eir mods, how can I get an unlock code for my broadband stick?
    Hi keno-daytrader, 

The customer care team on 1901 will be able to assist you with this and advise you on all. Alternatively, you can contact our chat facility here - https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement