Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dozens of Irish homeless charities blasted for 'unaccountable taxpayer funding'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

This is why I dont agree with people saying our Irish Water refund should be going to these charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The headline does not match what you are alleging about the homeless NGO's, they will become a lot more accountable with the new rules. The issue is that they are not really Homeless NGO as such, a lot have morphed in organisation providing support to those to those with addiction and or mental health issues an amount of their client will never be able to maintain a tenancy without support of some sort hence the amount of staff.

The lobbying and narrative of homeless is an issue but they are kind of caught in a bind homelessness will raise more money for the NGO/charity that saying give us money for these addicts so the emphases is keep on the homelessness bit on not on the addiction and metal health issues.

The government and culture has some responsibility too why are the government relying on charities/NGO to provide services that is a choice that society has made.

As for the ideology anecdotally I have heard that one of the homeless groups won't let staff call the Guards even if the staff have been assaulted. That is a serious ideological decision to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

mariaalice wrote: »
    As for the ideology anecdotally I have heard that one of the homeless groups won't let staff call the Guards even if the staff have been assaulted.

That's mad if true. That would surely bring up some issues about the employer providing a safe workplace.

That's mad if true. That would surely bring up some issues about the employer providing a safe workplace.

I only heard this anecdotally so in the interest of fairness maybe its is not true and there could be more too it that just not calling the Gaurds as a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mariaalice wrote: »
    ...an amount of their client will never be able to maintain a tenancy without support of some sort...

Just on this point, some people may find the below article interesting. I came across it a few weeks ago.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

It's not to contradict what you say exactly, but interesting all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

This is why I dont agree with people saying our Irish Water refund should be going to these charities.

Exactly. That money is rightly due back to the law abiding sector in our community

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just on this point, some people may find the below article interesting. I came across it a few weeks ago.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

It's not to contradict what you say exactly, but interesting all the same.

Of course everyone should be given housing but my point it is not just about housing in the sense of a roof and four walls.

Advertisement