Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightening oak

• 02-11-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I’m looking for a new kitchen worktop in solid wood. I need it to be 3.2m which isn’t that easy to come across as most places have shorter lengths. I don’t want to have to join two pieces.
    Wood Workers in terenure have a piece wide enough but they only stock oak in that length these days. Is it possible to lighten the oak with a lime wax and then seal it? Ideally I’d prefer to be able to get beech or maple but haven’t yet found someone in Dublin that does beech or maple in the length I need.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you could bleech it lighter. then seal it

liming wont lighten it just fill the pores with lighter material, sealing it after that will be hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I thought the sealing might be hard alright. Will the bleaching make much of a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there are some great you tube videos about it . if you get the proper stuff for the job you can really lighten it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've found a beech worktop in Noyeks at 4.1m so I think I'll go with that one as it's a better colour for what I'm after and it's in stock at the moment too. Less work than having to bleach the oak! Thanks for the help though.

Advertisement