Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorrilaz - Dublin - 9th June 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Have the stage times been revealed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 NickB1337

There anywhere close to the grounds where you can park overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

NickB1337 wrote: »

The Dart station has 24 hour parking but few spaces. Most weekdays it is full but there is usually a few spaces at weekends. Will likely by busy during the concert. Cost is €4.50 for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nkay1985 wrote: »
    The only thing I've seen with times myself is the 16:00 on the ticket. In the absence of any decent information, I just got somewhere to stay in Malahide so now I just need to figure out what time to be there and how you get into the gig as a pedestrian. I've never been to a gig in Malahide Castle before.

Anyone know anything?
    the entrance is basically opposite the DART station. it's a 2min walk from the main street in the town, it'll be easy to figure out.
    from the entrance then it's a 5min walk to the stage area.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

Stage times here: https://mcd.ie/check-stage-times-gorillaz-show-malahide-castle-tomorrow/

(I’m guessing De la soul is a typo and it’s meant to be 19:00?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 NickB1337

sink wrote: »
    NickB1337 wrote: »

The Dart station has 24 hour parking but few spaces. Most weekdays it is full but there is usually a few spaces at weekends. Will likely by busy during the concert. Cost is €4.50 for 24 hours.
    Great thanks for the tip. Was at LCD soundsytem on Tuesday and think they had portaloos up in the train station carpark so might even be less spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Never been to Malahide before, was thinking of getting last bus home (Mullingar) from airport at 11.20, but seeing as they're not on til 8.45 that doesn't sound like a good idea does it (without leaving like 30 mins early)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Was at Malahide Castle yesterday with the young lad and with the weather being so nice, myself and herself decided to go to the gig.

How nice is it to have good weather for an outdoor gig in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Great gig but as usual the drink or do drugs till you can’t see crowd falling about the place ruined it a bit for me.Lots of kids at the gig with their parents trying to keep em safe while people made dicks of themselves.Cannot understand why we as a nation can’t go to any event without being loaded up.What I will say is some of the food stalls were excellent much better than the horse burger stuff that was all u could hope for.Great weather and setlist But day tripper crowd was a turnoff.Arcade fire was much more relaxed in malahide last year were as this was a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There was indeed a lot of people smoking a lot of dope there yesterday!!

I only had about 4-5 pints of Heineken, but it reaffirmed my belief that’s its a pi$$ beer (the Irish 4.3% version anyway).

I’d agree on the excellent food choice available, we all had paella and it was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Great gig but as usual the drink or do drugs till you can’t see crowd falling about the place ruined it a bit for me.Lots of kids at the gig with their parents trying to keep em safe while people made dicks of themselves.Cannot understand why we as a nation can’t go to any event without being loaded up.What I will say is some of the food stalls were excellent much better than the horse burger stuff that was all u could hope for.Great weather and setlist But day tripper crowd was a turnoff.Arcade fire was much more relaxed in malahide last year were as this was a free for all.

I don’tthnik people should be bringing their kids to a. Gorrilaz gig. Festival have kids arenas then fair enough but say gigs like this no way should there kids be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I don’tthnik people should be bringing their kids to a. Gorrilaz gig. Festival have kids arenas then fair enough but say gigs like this no way should there kids be there

“No way”

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Tom1991 wrote: »

Agreed, seems insane these days, little interest in the actual music/gig, just more of a reason to be absolutely hammered or off your head.

We werent too far back and alot of people around us seemed to be either shouting ****e/chatting to each other, taking selfies or falling around the place. Real atmosphere killer. I think part of it is to do with how the industry has changed. In the early 2000s and before that bands were bigger than the event. And the band meant more to the crowd. Now the event, be it the concert or a festival etc is bigger than the band if that makes sense.

I remember being totally drunk at big gigs too tbf but even in that state I have memories of the entire crowd giving the gig their full attention. It would make the atmosphere amazing.

Despite my old man rant , Gorillaz were fantastic. Rhinestone Eyes sounded great live! De La Soul were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juriga

Yeah I completely agree, was up at the front and there was so many people I saw who just shoved themselves to the front while I stayed in the same place the entire time hoping not to lose my spot. Tons of people on drugs one guy there was talking to some old women and pushed himself in front of everyone to do so he was obviously on some **** he was falling all over himself in front of me. I had a great time though but yeah there were moments I lost focus of the concert because of other peoples behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

There was some lad finger banging his missus just in front of us. Pretended to by on his phone while he did the slav squat with his other hand up her skirt. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A week late to this thread but am I the only one who didn't notice any crowd antics and just found it an epic experience? I was pretty much directly at the centre of the stage and very close, especially considering I skipped all the support and got the DART at around 7.30 to arrive in the venue by maybe 8.15.

TBH I never really understand how people can let disinterested feckers near them in the crowd put them off. Maybe it's the kind of immersive brain I have (I'm the type to get so immersed in movies, books, music etc that I literally forget about everything else in life until it's over) but unless there was a nasty fight or something nearby which made me fear for my own safety to whatever extent, I don't think I'd notice anything going on. Closest thing to crowd distraction for me is when someone comes through the crowd with four pints of beer in one of those carry holders trying to get back to their mates, and you're just trying to slide away from them into the crowd a bit so as to minimise chances of being spilled on :D:D:D

Regardless, this was one of the most incredible gigs I've ever been to and I say that as someone who's been to every U2 gig in Ireland since 2005's Vertigo extravaganza in Croker. Gorillaz in 2010 was amazing but I feel like on this tour, they've finally found the right balance between the virtual band element and the live performers - the tension which led to Jamie and Damon falling out and not speaking for several years was evident at the 2010 concert, Jamie clearly resented how his half of the work had been somewhat sidelined and actually wrote several cartoons which played throughout the concert, showing Murdoc desperately trying to break out of a locked dressing room and ranting about how the live band were just "the warm up act" and that he was the real Gorillaz. Looking back, it's fairly obvious that this wasn't just a joke and that Jamie was venting his frustrations with how the live act had gone to Damon's head to an extent once Mick Jones and Paul Simonon got involved.

For those who didn't see them in 2010 and don't know what I'm talking about, these were the videos Jamie made for the show, which horribly foreshadow how pissed off he was getting and the fact that shortly after the tour, he would end up closing down the Gorillaz animation company Zombie Flesh Eaters altogether, severing his ties with most of the band and not seeing or speaking to Damon until years later :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJTV9KAUk9Q

This time, the disconnect between Gorillaz as a virtual cartoon band and an actual live band simply wasn't acknowledged - like being at a silent movie where nobody questions or acknowledges the fact that the orchestra aren't actually part of the movie, or being at a stage production where nobody questions the fact that the people on stage are just actors and not the actual characters they're playing. On this tour, Gorillaz is both a live band and an epic cartoon at the same time, the two aren't in conflict anymore because they simply don't acknowledge the contrast or break the fourth wall, allowing the suspension of disbelief to kick in for the audience just as it does with any other entertainment involving people playing characters. The cartoons displayed on the big screen (a far bigger screen than 2010's, similar in contrast to the difference between IMAX and regular cinema) were perfectly synced with the live music and meant that as a fan, you could choose to immerse yourself in the cartoons, focus on the actual musicians (who were very clearly having the time of their lives, Damon's assembled a charismatic bunch who obviously really enjoy performing) or just enjoy both without your brain ever being jolted into the absurdity of the two coexisting at the same time.

That's my take anyway - really, really, really fantastic concert, and great to see Gorillaz finally strike the needed balance between their two selling points in a way which surely precludes any real possibility of Damon and Jamie having another "it's about the cartoons" "no, it's about the music" spat which threatens their relationship again.

That's without even mentioning the impressive feat of bringing along a huge chunk of Gorillaz' collaborators from over the years. De La Soul are an absolute pleasure to watch live, and I couldn't believe it when they decided to give Superfast Jellyfish a blast despite it not even being one of Plastic Beach's better known hits.

A 10/10 from me. Literally the only thing which would have made it better would have been if Popcaan had been there - I've seen a few videos of him doing the autotuned "all moy loiiiife" lyrics from Saturnz Barz live and I sincerely hope I get to see that in person at some stage.

Advertisement