Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Property in Baileborough

Options
  • 02-11-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Greetings. Considering buying property in Baileborough. Any areas/ estates with challenges?! I saw property for sale in Fountain View & Woodview, any opinion on these areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Dont really know either area but its if you are from Dublin, prepare to feel at home.

BJD does'nt have the anti social stuff like other larger towns/cities etc. If you are worried there are plenty of smaller townlands all just outside BJD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Darith wrote: »
    Greetings. Considering buying property in Baileborough. Any areas/ estates with challenges?! I saw property for sale in Fountain View & Woodview, any opinion on these areas?
    Dont really know either area but its if you are from Dublin, prepare to feel at home.

BJD does'nt have the anti social stuff like other larger towns/cities etc. If you are worried there are plenty of smaller townlands all just outside BJD.

Thinking OP was asking about Baileborough not Ballyjamesduff?

OP, if you're looking for something in the commute belt, you could look at Mullagh.

A few more details on the purpose/need to buy might help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Darith

I would be commuting to Dublin on a motorbike. The roads to Baileborough from the n3 are gritted during the winter.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Thinking OP was asking about Baileborough not Ballyjamesduff?

OP, if you're looking for something in the commute belt, you could look at Mullagh.

A few more details on the purpose/need to buy might help out.

I was subconsciously trying to get the to move to BJD. :cool:

You are a brave person looking to do that commute. I bike from Kilnaleck to cavan down, its not nice. Roads are not always gritted and that road from Bbrough to Virginia is not always done or even done right. Plus its not a great road. Even going from Bbrough into Kells would be pretty bad during the winter.

Not sure if your use to living in the country side but farmers dont give a rats a*se about leaving the roads full of muck.

If you are, seek an alternative mode of transport for the bad days.

Apart from that its a nice town.

Well i am lucky in that i currently on the n4 near Mullingar which is gritted but is a good road. I was thinking of the road from Baileborough to mullagh and then Whitegate cross?

Would another solution be too use a car on the bad roads and pick up the bike left locked overnight in safe place in a nearby town with access to a good road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would be commuting to Dublin on a motorbike. The roads to Baileborough from the n3 are gritted during the winter.

I think this is a bad plan.
    Bailieborough gets a fair bit of bad weather and gritting is hot and miss at best.

Most commuting from Bailieborough go via Moynalty-Kelly onto M3.

I would urge you to rent for a while if trying this.

Mullagh would be a better base.

_Brian wrote: »
    I think this is a bad plan.
    Bailieborough gets a fair bit of bad weather and gritting is hot and miss at best.

Most commuting from Bailieborough go via Moynalty-Kelly onto M3.

I would urge you to rent for a while if trying this.

Mullagh would be a better base.

I currently commute from the longford side of mullingar; is the weather that much different?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I currently commute from the longford side of mullingar; is the weather that much different?

Yes
    Frosts would be much earlier in autumn and later in spring. Similarly tendency to more snow due to altitude difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Baileborough is a good bit higher up than Virginia or mullagh. Road from Virginia is fine to Dublin. Don't know Baileborough that well but best of luck if you do move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Second highest town in Ireland I believe, after Roundwood in Co.Wicklow.
    Always the first place in Cavan to get snow, after Cuilcagh mountain.

• Advertisement

Weather is weather, Bbourgh is a rather high townland as said above.

But, and this is the big difference. They dont always grit none main roads and even when they say they do, they dont. Many a times I get to the large hill on my commute to find it not gritted. The houses at the hill actually end up gritting it themselves.

As for locking the bike up, not a chance. I can not think of anywhere in this country where thats a good idea. Also, running a bike on roads thats gritted be prepared for washing it alot, grit ruined my shocks on a HD a few years back in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Aye, the road from Baileborough into Mullagh can be fairly treacherous in winter - plenty of shade, plenty of black ice after a freeze.. and the road from Mullagh to Moynalty-> Kells, or through Fartha-> Whitegate aint't a whole lot better..

I'd echo _Brian, try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'm not sure about Fountain View but Woodview would not be a great place to live.
    Virginia would be a better town to live in in my opinion and much easier to commute from.

Advertisement