Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any half marathon in Munster on the first weekend in December?

Options
  • 02-11-2017 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was planning to run the Birdhill Half marathon on the first weekend in December, but it has been cancelled.

Does anyone know of any other races around near to Limerick, apart from Clonakilty on Dec 8th and Waterford on Dec 2nd (It's sold out anyway I think)?

Regards,

MtM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Hi All,

I was planning to run the Birdhill Half marathon on the first weekend in December, but it has been cancelled.

Does anyone know of any other races around near to Limerick, apart from Clonakilty on Dec 8th and Waterford on Dec 2nd (It's sold out anyway I think)?

Regards,

MtM.

Lucky for you that Birdhill Half is cancelled. Worst HM I ever ran. Straight out the old Limerick road from Birdhill for 10.5km, around a traffic cone and back again. No medal, no t-shirt and 3 portaloos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Lucky for you that Birdhill Half is cancelled. Worst HM I ever ran. Straight out the old Limerick road from Birdhill for 10.5km, around a traffic cone and back again. No medal, no t-shirt and 3 portaloos.

I think this comment is hugely unfair to the race. I've never once heard anything bad about the organisation of the race before this.

I want to put this in perspective, The half marathon cost €20!!! That is a bargain for a half marathon, in fact I'd bet you will not find a cheaper one in the whole of Munster. T-shirts and medals are not essential to a good race and I'm not sure why this is now expected of every single race in the country. A race should have a start line and a finish line and be well organised and that is what should be the only thing that is expected. Some of the best value and organised races in the country have folded over the last few years because of it.

Many people prefer to pay €60+ for a half arsed race with a medal and a t-shirt than some great value races that give everything and more on the actual race itself. You really can't expect a race that has less than 150 people in it and only charges €20 to have medals and T-shirts. Not saying it was an exceptional race by any means but I think the reasons of T-shirts and medals is unjust for critism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I echo the op's original question but any halfs at any stage throughout December and January near Limerick?

Op I know it doesn't answer your question but the listowel half is on next Saturday? Also, there is the Eddie Murphy memorial marathon/half on Nov 18th. Not sure how that race works but I think you do the same 1mile loop??

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Any other races pop up since I posed the original question.
    Would take a 10 miler or even 10k at this stage?

MtM

Advertisement