Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a small business from rented accommodation

Options
  • 02-11-2017 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, hope you could help here or at least point me in the right direction of somebody who could.

I'm looking into starting a small business from my rented accommodation. Haven't asked the landlord or anything like that yet as I don't know if it's even possible.

But assuming the landlord would be OK with it, I'd like to use a disused dining room (which is currently my laundry room) for a small micro brewery set up. It will be a fully contained system so not much conversion to be done with the building itself, aside from maybe an industrial sink.

Anyway this is a long ways away yet, just at the planning phase and a huge amount of market research is needed yet so I'm not about to pump my life savings into it or anything just yet.

My main question is am I legally allowed to start a business from rented accommodation is I have permission from the landlord.

Also what my be relevant is that I do plan to buy this house eventually myself and the landlord is aware of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is yes. You are permitted to run a business from home. Where that business will result in a substantial change to how the property is used, then you need planning permission.

It's a bit fraught. The county council will give you an example like, "If you convert a garage into a workshop, you need planning permission".

But, if you were an amateur painter and you used your garage for painting, you wouldn't need planning permission. If you were to start selling those paintings full time, do you need PP? Probably not in real terms, even though the council might say you do.

Provided that the activity did not affect your neighbours - e.g. people and vehicles coming and going all the time - and doesn't pose a health risk - e.g. no risk of fires or noxious gasses - then simply brewing some beer in a spare room shouldn't require anything except the landlord's permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I hope you have a understanding landlord. Most would be happy for you to work from home or even run a small office.

Personally I'd have concerns about a micro brewery in the home. I'd be worried about smells & the likes. I would want you to insure that building itself. Usually this is the landlords job but if you are running a business then the insurance policy has to say this.

This might give you a chance to prepare for some of the concerns your landlord might have. If he likes craft beer he might take a totally different view

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can you sell brews you make at home? I would have thought you'd need some sort of sign off for food prep from the HSE?

Minor edit: I assume you also need sign off from Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You're going to boil hundreds of litres of wort in a sitting room!? Do you have extraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

• Advertisement
Advertisement