Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metal stuff in recycling.

• 02-11-2017 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I have.a few metal items i want rid of but they're not in good enough condition for a charity shop

a bread bin, 2 pots without lids, and 2 frying pans in v poor condition.

Except for the pans the items are all steel/metal.

Can i throw them in the recycling? Or should they go in the general waste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tenigate wrote:
    Can i throw them in the recycling? Or should they go in the general waste?

General waste I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Nooo! No need for them to end up in landfill.

Your local tip will have a waste metal skip. You might have to pay a couple of euro to access the facility though.
    As a last resort I'd consider the recycling bin in the hope that the recycling company seperates the ferrous metals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It might be worth a trip, I have a broken stereo i need to get rid of too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Tenigate wrote: »
    It might be worth a trip, I have a broken stereo i need to get rid of too.

Your broken stereo can be recycled free of charge in a recycling centre, but the metal stuff will incur whatever the gate fee is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Your broken stereo can be recycled free of charge in a recycling centre, but the metal stuff will incur whatever the gate fee is.

Ballyogan takes metal for free.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ballyogana4informationsheet.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Nooo! No need for them to end up in landfill.

Your local tip will have a waste metal skip. You might have to pay a couple of euro to access the facility though.
    I drive a privately owned van. €12 just to visit my local "recycling" centre. Landfill it is then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

I think that is accepted free in Bray recycling centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Stereo on the back seat, metal in the boot.

endacl wrote: »
    Stereo on the back seat, metal in the boot.

Where I go, they have lads who literally live with you while you're unloading if you go in on a no- cost WEEE gate entry. Aaaand they're fierce slow to give a hand with the unloading!! You wouldn't get away with 'smuggling' in any non- WEEE stuff without paying the gate fee!:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Just an update. Fecked the whole lot in the bin.
    Local recycling centre is €4 in and besides i didn't have weee receipt and wasn't sure what do do with steel. Either way, nothing in it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I was wondering the same thing regarding empty biscuit tins. I have a load of IKEA and Cadbury tins which once had biscuits in them and are now just empty tins which I want to dispose of responsibly. They don't fit in the recycling bins for drink or food cans, and I'm damned if I'm going to drive 15 miles to my local council recycling centre to pay to recycle them. The temptation to do something irresponsible with them is rather strong. Surely the vendor (IKEA/Tesco/Supervalu in my case) should be obliged to take them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Turnipman wrote:
    Surely the vendor (IKEA/Tesco/Supervalu in my case) should be obliged to take them back?

No no no no, 'the polluter pays' is the mantra, remember! I.e. waste is your problem, and you're gonna pay for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Tenigate wrote: »
    Just an update. Fecked the whole lot in the bin.
    Local recycling centre is €4 in and besides i didn't have weee receipt and wasn't sure what do do with steel. Either way, nothing in it for me.

:mad: There's such a discrepancy around the country with what recycling facilities take (and charge for). You'ld think that metal would be something that wouldn't require a fee for.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    :mad: There's such a discrepancy around the country with what recycling facilities take (and charge for). You'ld think that metal would be something that wouldn't require a fee for.

Thoroughly agree!!

Surely a national protocol could/should be agreed and published whereby a public recycling centre in Waterford or Cork works exactly the same as one in Roscommon.

Advertisement