Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's for the best. I'm playing it wrong, I can't get my head around using short, open statements and letting the DM drive. Also, my slavish attempts at doing what the character would do are derailing. I should have learned to think before posting a move I couldn't retract after nearly mugging Arry and running off.

Seat's free. Should have been clearer earlier, sorry. I left the gear cause I can't remember if anyone else bought torches or flint. It was fun while it lasted though, thanks for letting me play.

Dwarrowood could just be dwarfish wood, ie something mined from the earth. So it could be on the level... But it won't be if you take it :)

:(:( I'm in the middle of dealing with a demon over a barrel of wine. Thought you were doing fine tbh! Sorry to see you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

i dnin't see how you played it wrong myself,is there a wrong way to play this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

sKeith wrote: »
    i dnin't see how you played it wrong myself,is there a wrong way to play this game?
    Not in my opinion, I thought you were doing great Banjo, but no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yeah, I think it's for the best. I'm playing it wrong, I can't get my head around using short, open statements and letting the DM drive. Also, my slavish attempts at doing what the character would do are derailing. I should have learned to think before posting a move I couldn't retract after nearly mugging Arry and running off.

Seat's free. Should have been clearer earlier, sorry. I left the gear cause I can't remember if anyone else bought torches or flint. It was fun while it lasted though, thanks for letting me play.

Dwarrowood could just be dwarfish wood, ie something mined from the earth. So it could be on the level... But it won't be if you take it :)

its basically group
    story telling with rick added through dice throwing
    dont go

For what it's worth, I'm loving it. Pace is the adjuster for me, those that are familiar with me are probably aware of that though.

Really having fun getting into character. I wouldn't have been a huge D&D player in the past, but I'm hooked now!

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    its basically group
    dont go

This exactly. I'm essentially telling my characters story to the group and reacting to what the DM throws our way. As a novice player I'm probably all over the place but I'm having fun finding my feet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Aww Banjo sorry you're not feeling it. Hopefully it doesn't put you off forever. I thought you were doing grand. There's nothing that you can do that can't be undone really (apart from actually killing a character). A good GM will know how to deal with what the players throw at them and how to work it into their story. There's no bad players, you just gotta get the hang of it. Everyone plays differently, I'm more of a 'wait and see' type player but ones like Necro clearly just go gung ho for it and that's fine too. There's no wrong way to play, just different styles.
    And if your character is a dick you just gotta own it and go with it.

Anyways, it was nice to play with you and hopefully you'll stick around the games forum for some other fun. Try out werewolf! :)

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Aww Banjo sorry you're not feeling it. Hopefully it doesn't put you off forever. I thought you were doing grand. There's nothing that you can do that can't be undone really (apart from actually killing a character). A good GM will know how to deal with what the players throw at them and how to work it into their story. There's no bad players, you just gotta get the hang of it. Everyone plays differently, I'm more of a 'wait and see' type player but ones like Necro clearly just go gung ho for it and that's fine too. There's no wrong way to play, just different styles.
    And if your character is a dick you just gotta own it and go with it.

Anyways, it was nice to play with you and hopefully you'll stick around the games forum for some other fun. Try out werewolf! :)

Yeah, Molly from playing with me in WW this should be apparent :pac::pac::pac: (sorry if I'm annoying people btw, just tell me)

Second the try out WW comment. It's similar to role playing, with a gallon of paranoia thrown in to boot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Tigger wrote: »
    its basically group
    dont go

That's it exactly! And I'm constantly pushing against the narrative. It's unproductive for the group and I don't know why I'm doing it. In a weird meta way, this right now is exactly what I was doing in the game all the time : "I'm leaving, somebody stop me!" And I need to cop the **** on :)

Did Ekbard just burn those potentially magic papers??

That's it exactly! And I'm constantly pushing against the narrative. It's unproductive for the group and I don't know why I'm doing it. In a weird meta way, this right now is exactly what I was doing in the game all the time : "I'm leaving, somebody stop me!" And I need to cop the **** on :)

it dosebt matter
    a st two scene 1 will ahooen no matter what
    just play dont leave
    itll be fun

• Advertisement

Someone should slap some sense into him (Cue the return of Plough :p )

If it is any help, no need to view the set up as a narrative or story I'm trying to tell. The only narrative is the one that results from your actions in response to what I present, an emergent story. As Molly said, my job is to handle your reactions, not to constrain you so that I can tell "my story".

Again D&D has T-Rexes and Owlbears, you're not going to make it any more off-the-wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

OOC: If it helps, you get one novice fighter to replace the other. I have been reading along, but I am clueless, so really perfect for this.

OOC: If it helps, you get one novice fighter to replace the other. I have been reading along, but I am clueless, so really perfect for this.

welcome

Mwahaha... No tossing the dwarf now:p

You dare tell the Princess of Warrior Ancestors who she may or may not toss. I'll toss you by what's worn under that kilt if I feel like it, and you'll like it!

You dare tell the Princess of Warrior Ancestors who she may or may not toss. I'll toss you by what's worn under that kilt if I feel like it, and you'll like it!

he will

but enough
    of that

Robyn, you said you sittn this one out, but here is where to do rolls in future. https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards.ie%20D%26D

Assuming he makes it out, Moy has levelled up.

Am I dead :pac: I'm confused by the notice

• Advertisement

Go Moy! Don't die, or something like that!

Necrominus wrote: »
    Am I dead :pac: I'm confused by the notice
    Xestes has planted a revival spell in your stomach which takes an hour to activate. In the meantime enjoy your sojourn in the afterlife. You're temporarily dead.

Four, is there anything in particular I should be looking over? I'm going over the early pages of the rules right now.

you might wanna escape this little melee and join up with the reincarnated gang afterwards, or, go hell for leather and attack with your long sword. nothing to lose eiither way, we aint even started yet.

Four, is there anything in particular I should be looking over? I'm going over the early pages of the rules right now.
    Basically p.1 - 18 for characters and p.50 - 55 for combat and rolling.

sKeith wrote: »
    you might wanna escape this little melee and join up with the reincarnated gang afterwards, or, go hell for leather and attack with your long sword. nothing to lose eiither way, we aint even started yet.

ooc
    seems if you have nothing to lose you have nothing

I'm off to bed just to let ye know. I'll note XP here in the morning. Cheers for the great scene.

Fourier wrote: »
    Basically p.1 - 18 for characters and p.50 - 55 for combat and rolling.

Okay, I think I am getting up to speed, but I may still require some guidance from an experienced hand.

My character sheet is up in the character thread, stats are different to Banjo, but I am using his loadout, less the flint and steel, which Keith swiftly pocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Okay, I think I am getting up to speed, but I may still require some guidance from an experienced hand.

My character sheet is up in the character thread, stats are different to Banjo, but I am using his loadout, less the flint and steel, which Keith swiftly pocketed.

Just play away, rules are for procedure not a list of can/can'ts.

• Advertisement

I'm definetly not an experienced hand, but flint & stell costs 2 gp and i only have 1gp and 6 sp left, so, i can either give you 1gp and 6sp, give you back your flint and steel, or give you any advise than my inexperience can give.

Advertisement