Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

At least someone has the flint and steel, so hold on to it. Mauler went home with whatever few coin was left anyway. It was not among his things.

I'll pick things up as I go along, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

askit has promised us blue stones, make sure to get some, you can sell them for gp. also, take the sheers from the room across from the study, they might be worth a few SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

At least someone has the flint and steel, so hold on to it. Mauler went home with whatever few coin was left anyway. It was not among his things.

Ah I only had 1 silver and a couple of coppers left. Would you begrudge a man the price of a bedroll? (Obviously if you later die from a sleeping-on-the-ground-induced cramp, I'll assume a 'yes')

LOL, i still have the barrel of wine which has pleny of wine left in it, and wine at 1GP per 2 pints and a barrel containig over 200 pints Saeros has put us in the profit unless me and bandylegs finish it all before we can make a profit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Ekbard receives 1,650 XP.
    Moy receives 1,625 XP, causing him to reach level 2.
    Bandylegs will receive 800 XP upon returning to life, but there may be some to earn in the dwarven afterlife.

The two halflings receive 400 XP for surviving the ordeal.

Elin, Saeros and Alexander have more possible XP to earn from their magical adventure, so I can't give it yet.

Xanthea just joined us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I still have 10GP on me if you need anything. I'm surprised my body wasn't looted when I was dead and I woke up alone and in the nip!

Fourier wrote: »
    Ekbard receives 1,650 XP.
    Moy receives 1,625 XP, causing him to reach level 2.
    Bandylegs will receive 800 XP upon returning to life, but there may be some to earn in the dwarven afterlife.

The two halflings receive 400 XP for surviving the ordeal.

Elin, Saeros and Alexander have more possible XP to earn from their magical adventure, so I can't give it yet.

Xanthea just joined us.

Balls I would have stayed down if that was the case.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Balls I would have stayed down if that was the case.
    No worries, just edit in "He thinks back to his experiences there..." or something like that and we'll do it now. The posts don't have to be totally chronological.

No worries, just edit in "He thinks back to his experiences there..." or something like that and we'll do it now. The posts don't have to be totally chronological.

Done :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

God dammit I go to bed and all the fun happens! That was awesome.

• Advertisement

Also welcome to Xena warrior princess! :) Good to have you on board.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    God dammit I go to bed and all the fun happens! That was awesome.

Very enjoyable, apart from the spine breaking and all that :(

I wasn't coming back at all then I thought if I convinced the guards and Xanthea to join the fight we might win... Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Gdammit I can never figure out which thread to read first, this OOC thread or the game thread.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Gdammit I can never figure out which thread to read first, this OOC thread or the game thread.

As a rule I catch up with game thread first. If there's anything dodgy within I refer to here before moving on.

Ugh this is where I'm going to show my rookie status. Not sure how to proceed!

Wait and see what Four describes in the temple. Then check for traps and proceed with caution. Assume that dead thing is not actually dead or there'll be something you'll have to fight.

"so Ekbard gets to try a ride. Check Strength -4."

So, my strength is 16, -4 = 12. i need to roll under 12? i roll 18. but somehow get success.

I'm still a little confused about rolls and what is success and what is not.

sKeith wrote: »
    "so Ekbard gets to try a ride. Check Strength -4."

So, my strength is 16, -4 = 12. i need to roll under 12? i roll 18. but somehow get success.

I'm still a little confused about rolls and what is success and what is not.
    The -4 subtracts from your roll, so you got 14, which is under 16 and you succeed. Moy's blow hurt the devil making jumping on him easy (they're unused to physical pain), which is what gave you -4.

Traps and Trap Detection

Thieves have a special skill to detect traps, but characters of
    all classes can search for non-magical traps. All characters
    except dwarves can succeed in spotting a trap on a roll of 1
    on 1d6. Dwarves succeed on a roll of 1 or 2 on 1d6. Players
    must declare that their characters are actively looking for
    traps, and they must be looking in the right place. This roll
    may only be made once in a particular location, and it takes 1
    turn per effort made. The Labyrinth Lord secretly rolls the dice
    for these checks, because the players will never know if they
    failed to find the trap or if there is not one present.

Traps have specific triggers, whether it is opening a door or
    walking over a particular area. Every time a character makes
    an action that could trigger a trap, the Labyrinth Lord rolls
    1d6. A result of 1 or 2 indicates that the trap springs.
    Normally, a trap has a specific effect that cannot be avoided.
    Examples include a trapped floor dumping the characters into
    a pit of spikes, or a poisoned needle in a door handle.

Traps and Trap Detection

Thieves have a special skill to detect traps, but characters of
    all classes can search for non-magical traps. All characters
    except dwarves can succeed in spotting a trap on a roll of 1
    on 1d6. Dwarves succeed on a roll of 1 or 2 on 1d6. Players
    must declare that their characters are actively looking for
    traps, and they must be looking in the right place. This roll
    may only be made once in a particular location, and it takes 1
    turn per effort made. The Labyrinth Lord secretly rolls the dice
    for these checks, because the players will never know if they
    failed to find the trap or if there is not one present.

Traps have specific triggers, whether it is opening a door or
    walking over a particular area. Every time a character makes
    an action that could trigger a trap, the Labyrinth Lord rolls
    1d6. A result of 1 or 2 indicates that the trap springs.
    Normally, a trap has a specific effect that cannot be avoided.
    Examples include a trapped floor dumping the characters into
    a pit of spikes, or a poisoned needle in a door handle.

Danke!

So I can in essence check every room for traps but it will take up a turn. Interesting to note.

• Advertisement

How many turns are there in an average game?
    Limitless really. You just post what your character does or says, turns don't exist. I hope I understood the question.
    Danke!

So I can in essence check every room for traps but it will take up a turn. Interesting to note.

And you have limitless turns or they don't exist, so check away to your hearts content.

Apologies, just to be clear in those posts I thought you were referring to turns in the conventional sense of characters having a turn (i.e. my turn, your turn) rather than the D&D colloquialism of "ten minutes". Rather dumb of me!

Still though, in most circumstances you'll have as many turns (D&D sense) as you want as they're just ten minutes. Otherwise it's the logical limit, e.g. if the room is filling with water in one hour you'll have 6 turns.

Really D&D just uses "turns" because Moldvay decided several things take ten minutes.

Back home and in front of the laptop. Looking forward to probably dying a brutal and bloody death again tonight :pac:

Just to be clear about how magic works, because it is a bit weird.

Clerics:
    You have access to all of your spells, you won't have to find them, however initially your god won't give them all to you. The spell chart tells you, after praying in the morning, how many spells of each level your god will provide you on that day. If it says two Level 1 spells for example, you can request two different level 1 spells or two uses of the same Level 1 spell.

Leveling up is basically gaining favour with your god.

Magic-User and Elf:
    You must read your spell book and store the entire complex hand gestures and rhyming phrases required to activate a spell every morning. Learning a level 1 spell is supposed to be the equivalent of learning off an entire play in the morning. Which spells you memorise from your book that morning are up to you. You also meditate and store the energy for the spell within your mind.

Using a spell causes its energy to leave your mind, which also fries the memory you used to remember it.

There are rules for "overloading" your mind and taking in more spells than your current mental discipline allows, with the possibility of driving yourself mad or blowing your skull up with the excess energy, but I haven't decided on which set to use yet.

Leveling up is then training your mind to hold more spells and their energy.

This is exactly how magic works in Jack Vance's "The Dying Earth", from which D&D got the idea.

Haha, if only Xanthea had joined me in the afterlife :P

Her dream of tossing the dwarf will just have to wait for another day.

I'm taking the Ekbard tactic and going in all guns blazing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have no idea where goodie is or what hes doing

Blast you Fourier I had check there if I spoke orcish or not. I don't unfortunately :D

Right I'm for the leaba folks have work at 8 again :(

• Advertisement

Right I'm for the leaba folks have work at 8 again :(
    As am I alas, I'd say in the next day or two we'll be on the road. Then the real danger starts!:D

Advertisement