Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fourier wrote: »
    I made it in Hexographer. The free version is more than enough to make good quality maps for D&D and a doddle to use.

Amazing. I'll have to check that out. I'm writing a Pokémon game at the moment and couldn't find a proper 8bit map to work from. I usually just draw them up in autocad but that's a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've taken the liberty of assuming I get 4 skill points. I'm putting them into
    Gambling 2
    Sense Motive 1
    Magical Engineering 1
    I can't see them being very useful, but thematically I think I need the first 2 and the 3rd one just feels like the right kind of loopy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here is the list of skills, rules about their use following soon.

Strength:
    Intimidation
    Jumping
    Swimming

Intelligence:
    Arcane Lore
    Engineering
    Geography
    History
    Laws (Culture)
    Magical Engineering
    Nature Lore
    Religious Lore

Wisdom:
    Cooking
    First Aid
    Lip Reading
    Navigating
    Tracking
    Sense Motive

Dexterity:
    Balance
    Craft (Art)
    Escape Artist
    Performance
    Riding (Animal)

Charisma:
    Bluff
    Diplomacy
    Disguise
    Etiquette (Culture)
    Gambling
    Intimidation
    Performance (Medium)

Not related to any Attribute:
    Language (Choose)

TOTALLY forgot this. I'll have

1 for Intimidation (Strength)
    1 for Swimming
    1 for Navigation
    1 for Tracking

I hardly get anymore as I levelled up do I :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Selecting Skills
    Diplomacy 1
    Intimidation 1
    Engineering 2

Four's comments on skill levels suggested that 1 is familiarity, 2 is mastery, so they should be pretty hard to come by if there are points floating around. It may be limited (they reflect your experience prior to adventuring) or at specific levels. They might also be used to make the more bland classes a little more interesting as they level up (e.g. fighters just get tougher, where as the some of us will get new spells or abilities as we go. I can't figure out what the method is though, in terms of points distribution it's nothing to do with race, class, specific stats, prime requisites, stat modifiers, alignment or propping up anyone who got bad initial rolls...

In trying to figure it out, though, I learned some interesting stuff about D&D, LotFP, Pathfinder and a few home-brew systems :D Thanks, google!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Amazing. I'll have to check that out. I'm writing a Pokémon game at the moment and couldn't find a proper 8bit map to work from. I usually just draw them up in autocad but that's a lot of effort.

A Pokemon game you say? Is it all under wraps ATM?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Skill Selection
    Arcane Lore 2
    Etiquette 1
    Magical Engenering 1

:)

A Pokemon game you say? Is it all under wraps ATM?

Eh, no not really. It's for my RL gaming group and based on a suggestion from a workmate here who's really into his Pokémon Go. He was saying it'd be cool to have an RPG where we all play actual Pokémon rather than trainers. So my premise is that Pokémon have risen up against the trainers and are undertaking a massive worldwide rebellion. I'm trying to work out a system using existing Pokémon stats twisted to suit an RPG. It's actually pretty easy.
    I haven't worked on it for a while though cos we're all busy at the moment and can't arrange a time to finish off our existing game, never mind starting a new one! I can PM you what I've got laid out so far if you like?

Off topic, but the one glaring issue with your game is this : it's going to be played in real life by people taking on Pokemon as characters, the key to success in Pokemon is idealised IV spread and the only way to ensure a good IV spread is for pokemon to breed.

Bring a mop.

Eh, no not really. It's for my RL gaming group and based on a suggestion from a workmate here who's really into his Pokémon Go. He was saying it'd be cool to have an RPG where we all play actual Pokémon rather than trainers. So my premise is that Pokémon have risen up against the trainers and are undertaking a massive worldwide rebellion. I'm trying to work out a system using existing Pokémon stats twisted to suit an RPG. It's actually pretty easy.
    I haven't worked on it for a while though cos we're all busy at the moment and can't arrange a time to finish off our existing game, never mind starting a new one! I can PM you what I've got laid out so far if you like?

Do, it sounds very cool actually

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Off topic, but the one glaring issue with your game is this : it's going to be played in real life by people taking on Pokemon as characters, the key to success in Pokemon is idealised IV spread and the only way to ensure a good IV spread is for pokemon to breed.

Bring a mop.
    I have no clue what IV spread is. It's basically using randomly generated wild pokemon for the PC's to fight against. There will be no breeding. They're on a mission ffs.
    Do, it sounds very cool actually
    I'll send it on tomorro coz I have it saved on the work PC. Any pointers or criticism would be welcome coz I've never properly tried to design a new system before!

I have no clue what IV spread is. It's basically using randomly generated wild pokemon for the PC's to fight against. There will be no breeding. They're on a mission ffs.

Well, Pokemon have fixed stats and stat growth is influenced at level up by 2 factors : Effort Values (ev) - where individual stats acquire a tiny incremental boost with each Pokemon they defeat (different Pokemon boost different stats) and Individual Values (IV) which are boosts on the same scale but they're fixed at birth.

What? It's not Werewolf but it's still a hobby!

Banjo wrote: »
    Well, Pokemon have fixed stats and stat growth is influenced at level up by 2 factors : Effort Values (ev) - where individual stats acquire a tiny incremental boost with each Pokemon they defeat (different Pokemon boost different stats) and Individual Values (IV) which are boosts on the same scale but they're fixed at birth.

What? It's not Werewolf but it's still a hobby!

You do you girlfriend! Own your loves.

Meh I don't envisage my guys levelling up too much tbh. And I haven't properly thought about the evolving bit of the game yet.

Ooh, a tournament. I expect Ekbard and Xanthea will be entering in that.

Christ almighty you men shop more than any women!!!!

Christ almighty you men shop more than any women!!!!

:pac::pac::pac: I just want a sword tbh. Need to decide whether it'll be normal or bastard though... leaning towards bastard just for the fun of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Was there any experience dolled out for the zombie fight? Not I expect much for my awesome performances :P

You all get 44xp from the zombies. Ye've yet to search for treasure, but it's not going to be a lot, maybe 1gp, so whether you want to bother or not is up to you.

Here ya go Lordie :)

44xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I'm off to bed! I'm going to triple check all the events in the town, don't want plot holes!!

Molly, looks like there's a locked chest in the temple with your name on it :D now I just have to tell you without Elin getting mad at Bandylegs again :P

• Advertisement

Well Elin is currently drifting around the town coz I've no clue what to do with her. I think she's leaning towards not even going to help you now that you're backing out of the agreed deal.

Well Elin is currently drifting around the town coz I've no clue what to do with her. I think she's leaning towards not even going to help you now that you're backing out of the agreed deal.

I'm not sure how this is even going to play out yet. Didn't cross my mind the outside would be guarded by a brotherhood. Something tells me subterfuge will be required as opposed to ten (11? Arry/Soupy seems to be gone) randomers storming the gates.

Anyone fancy joining said brotherhood and then leaving a gate unlocked for us at night?

I don't think they'd take a female anyway. :P

you can't just tell her. She won't appreciate that. You need a pie chart and a short puppet show that explains how the contents of the chest will be divvied up and all permutations of what might happen. Y'know, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Unfortunately busy day and I'm off again. I've caught up, but I'll have more free time tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Unfortunately busy day and I'm off again. I've caught up, but I'll have more free time tomorrow.

do we exist while the god that dreams us sleeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That’s far too philosophical.

We exist (I think therefore I am) yet does the world we exist in exist in the absence of the one who gives the world existence?

"The whole tomb and the plaza there were built by Thurmun's loyal followers shortly after he died. We know from the surviving writings that they entombed him and guarded the whole complex for over a hundred years, frequently fending off former minions of Thurmun's enemy, the dread priest Carax.

So any guesses in what's coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So any guesses in what's coming?

id prefer to discuss the flavour on the thread in chsrachter
    and the mechanics on thinsthread out of charachter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

you need for bandy to share his knowledge before that can happen.

Advertisement