Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    Only thing with that is you lose that sense of frantic panic when all your hard work is about to get digested by a jelly or accidentally murdered by a travelling companion who wouldn't just drop you a rope. I mean the loss of Betty means something. The loss of a handful of redshirt trap fodder / body donors... Meh!

You need the jeopardy!
    yeah, betty was a valued member of the team, quite deserving of an equal share!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

sKeith wrote: »

She got her fair share of what we were handed in that tomb. Your share too! :'(

goody, in your character sheet you put 1586 gp, but 1425 of that is in two items of treasure still, and not gp.
    dont you need to sell those items to realize gp? it shouldn't just magic into gp and have 0 encumbrance.

as i say, ive never played this before, so am not sure of how it works, and i did ask the q's but got no responce yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

She got her fair share of what we were handed in that tomb. Your share too! :'(

#PRAYFORBETTY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

goody, in your character sheet you put 1586 gp, but 1425 of that is in two items of treasure still, and not gp.
    dont you need to sell those items to realize gp? it shouldn't just magic into gp and have 0 encumbrance.

as i say, ive never played this before, so am not sure of how it works, and i did ask the q's but got no responce yet.
    Sorry for this, do you have a link to the questions I missed. I did a search with terms like "GP" and can't see them. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

goodie is the charachter
    there is a reasonnit says +1425 rather tan staright 1686 or whatever
    its so i know that some is jewls and some is gp

btw your charachter is lawful iirc and therfore if playing to type would have saved bandy
    mine is neutral and gets to make the choice

from p14 or the rules
    EXAMPLE: If an adventurer were in a situation where his companions were trapped and would meet certain death without his help, he would act in the following ways based on his alignment:

The lawful character would sacrifice himself if necessary to rescue his companions. He would never leave them behind unless he had a better chance of saving them by doing so, or some truly greater cause could be achieved

Fourier wrote: »
    Sorry for this, do you have a link to the questions I missed. I did a search with terms like "GP" and can't see them. Cheers!

it was in rolz
    d6-32px.png
    sKeith: i'm naked, so need to get to village soon to re-armour. how do you get rid of treasure?

Tigger wrote: »
    goodie is the charachter
    there is a reasonnit says +1425 rather tan staright 1686 or whatever
    its so i know that some is jewls and some is gp

btw your charachter is lawful iirc and therfore if playing to type would have saved bandy
    mine is neutral and gets to make the choice

from p14 or the rules
    EXAMPLE: If an adventurer were in a situation where his companions were trapped and would meet certain death without his help, he would act in the following ways based on his alignment:

The lawful character would sacrifice himself if necessary to rescue his companions. He would never leave them behind unless he had a better chance of saving them by doing so, or some truly greater cause could be achieved

again, in the ooc @ rolz

Necrominus: OMG... Eckie...
    d6-32px.png
    Necrominus: :O

d6-32px.png
    sKeith: lmao

d6-32px.png
    Fourier: Necro, give me a Dex

d6-32px.png
    sKeith: i'm lawful, i can't choose between you two.

d6-32px.png
    Fourier: I didn't save them your honour, I'm too moral :)

again, in the ooc @ rolz

Necrominus: OMG... Eckie...
    d6-32px.png
    Necrominus: :O

d6-32px.png
    sKeith: lmao

d6-32px.png
    Fourier: Necro, give me a Dex

d6-32px.png
    sKeith: i'm lawful, i can't choose between you two.

d6-32px.png
    Fourier: I didn't save them your honour, I'm too moral :)

its not in charachter , you are a power gamer and thats cool but the pointbof role playing is to play within the parameters
    lookingbfor loopholes and alowing a pc to die because of a npc is out of charachter

indontbcare but if you are goong to knit pock

Guys, about the village - who are you buying stuff off? The shopkeeper is dead in that sludge and her dad is unlikely to hand over armour without asking why you're naked, where his daughter is and what's the big hurry?

Re : alignments - there are more than 3 types of people, I think we need leaway within the 3 buckets given.

• Advertisement

Guys, about the village - who are you buying stuff off? The shopkeeper is dead in that sludge and her dad is unlikely to hand over armour without asking why you're naked, where his daughter is and what's the big hurry?

Re : alignments - there are more than 3 types of people, I think we need leaway within the 3 buckets given.

the store me and saeros went to. not bettys shop ;)

its beside the tempe

its not in charachter , you are a power gamer and thats cool but the pointbof role playing is to play within the parameters
    lookingbfor loopholes and alowing a pc to die because of a npc is out of charachter

indontbcare but if you are goong to knit pock

if the dm thinks im out of character, he'll punish me for it.

Note that although
    players should do their best to adhere to one of these spheres,
    the Labyrinth Lord will take note when behavior deviates too
    much from their chosen alignment and he may assign a new
    alignment more appropriate to actual character actions.

the store me and saeros went to. not bettys shop ;)

its beside the tempe

You went to the out of town Soetscos? That place is killing the local village!

if the dm thinks im out of character, he'll punish me for it.

Note that although
    players should do their best to adhere to one of these spheres,
    the Labyrinth Lord will take note when behavior deviates too
    much from their chosen alignment and he may assign a new
    alignment more appropriate to actual character actions.

same applies to my methods of recording stuff

same applies to my methods of recording stuff

ah,

this is were we got off track....

take post 964 as a question. i seen it getting added togerther and was wondering if i could do that too.

my first time playing and all...

i was not nit picking.

wow, i just read urban dictonary for power gamer.
    ouch

wow, i just read urban dictonary for power gamer.
    ouch

we were told tonread upntonpage 14 iirc
    what page have you read upnto ?
    its not an insult whoever wrote that is just anal
    a power gamer is anperson who wants ti know all the rules to play efficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Alignments are a load of bollocks and hold back role-playing imo. sK is playing Ekbard and is the only one who can say how he acts, maybe he's generally lawful but fear for his life and an innate greed could have taken over to escape, maybe he didn't like Bandy or thought he was a lost cause. Could be hundreds of potential reasons for Ekbard to act the way he did.

Not having a go Tigs just my two cents, one out of alignment action doesn't mean a thing, given how many different factors could be taken into account for every single action.

Especially when this big fookin mouth is chewing the legs off your mate, I know both Moy and Digi would have been fighting Bandy for first step on the ladder as opposed to pulling him out.

Alignments are a load of bollocks and hold back role-playing imo. sK is playing Ekbard and is the only one who can say how he acts, maybe he's generally lawful but fear for his life and an innate greed could have taken over to escape, maybe he didn't like Bandy or thought he was a lost cause. Could be hundreds of potential reasons for Ekbard to act the way he did.

Not having a go Tigs just my two cents, one out of alignment action doesn't mean a thing, given how many different factors could be taken into account for every single action.

Especially when this big fookin mouth is chewing the legs off your mate, I know both Moy and Digi would have been fighting Bandy for first step on the ladder as opposed to pulling him out.

in the ooc i explained, ekbard could not make the choice between bandy and betty, if he had chosen bandy, he felt bandy would have hated himfor choosing bandy over his love betty and vice versa. once he reached the outside he immeditaly used the moon necklaces to slow the creature and give both characters a chance.

I'm ok with it. Had I died, I still would have been ok with it personally. It takes more than a slime god to take down Bandylegs the Dwarf that's for sure.

I was gonna ask Fourier if I had any chance standing and fighting it in the treasure room but deigned against it.

The way it worked out kinda makes it more fun tbh. I now have a quest within a quest to get back on my feet. Probably drags from the narrative a little but...meh.

I deserved it anyways, convincing Othegre to burn the slime, getting all 5 characters into that situation in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Well, you have to hand it to Four. This campaign has legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

IMO the entire point of role playing is to make stuff up. If you're gonna rigidly stick to rules and alignments then it takes the fun out of it. In the end it's keith's character and whilst I disagree with his actions and would totally murder him for it if I were Bandy, it's totally his choice to make.

in the ooc i explained, ekbard could not make the choice between bandy and betty, if he had chosen bandy, he felt bandy would have hated himfor choosing bandy over his love betty and vice versa. once he reached the outside he immeditaly used the moon necklaces to slow the creature and give both characters a chance.

I don't think Betty was ever surviving tbh. Had the feeling of a doomed warrior from the get go in my head.

Star crossed lovers, giants and legless dwarves. Betty, I shall meet ye again in the afterlife!

Oh... wait. this isn't the game thread :o:o:o

Xanthea takes out her tiny violin and starts playing it...

obviously the integration of the nine alignmenys rather than the three were a progression but we are playing retro dnd and as such there are three
    i don't care butvif im gettingva critique of my charachter sheet ill point out that he should have saved bandy

ive always played that non purchasable items should go to who ever can use them best
    and that money is split but i wish i hadnt drunk the esp potion

If Othegre were here and alive, she'd be begging for you to tell us your little secret, if only to watch your head explode!

Regarding alignments, there have been three systems.

Three point:
    Lawful
    Neutral
    Chaos

Five Point:
    Lawful Good
    Lawful Evil
    Neutral
    Chaotic Good
    Chaotic Evil

Nine Point:
    Any combo of (Evil,Neutral,Good) and (Lawful,Neutral,Chaotic)

The nine point system mixes morality and life etiquette. Lawful means you live by a code, but you could be immoral or amoral. Where as good means, well being a good person.

AD&D has the nine point system, D&D the three point and an obscure edition called Holmes Basic had the five point.

So as long as Ekbard is living by his code, he is being Lawful.

The thing is, I've never really seen a way to do this that's watertight. I mean Othegre followed a "dice" essentially. Is that Chaotic, because it's literally random or Lawful because she has an unbroken code to obey the dice.

I don't know. So I just see it as a description of how the character sees themselves. It's very important in AD&D for spell targeting and effects (although it can be constraining character wise as Digi said), but not as important in D&D. In D&D it has almost no mechanical effect.

So fair game in my opinion.

how many of us are there, not counting betty and othegre?

it was in rolz
    d6-32px.png
    sKeith: i'm naked, so need to get to village soon to re-armour. how do you get rid of treasure?
    Sell it basically. The "economic system" as such smooths over any kind of complexity, like everywhere has a totally standard market price for a gem.

• Advertisement

how many of us are there, not counting betty and othegre?
    i'm counting 7, oh eight we dont know status of othegre but we withnessed bettys dimise.

Advertisement