Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I removed the erectile dysfunction mini-arc :) Guaranteed there's a related side quest that we'll never get to experience :( but it's for the best. Replaced with blood drinking threat.
    honestly I thought all those posts were getting removed, god knows how much we got out on the sled.

BTW, I do hope if he survives I can continue to try to break Moys faith. Let me know if it gets annoying

Edit. 12.03 and we're not desperately trying to roll a single digit number to stem the bleeding from yet another Bandy dismemberment. It feels....wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Okay guys ideas are pouring out of my head for the next act. General questions.

More lethal or Less lethal in the next act? This will involve taking stuff from later editions.

More or less of the "metaplot"?

Bigger or smaller dungeons?

I skew heavily to the weird fantasy end, would anybody prefer more traditional fantasy? Like less Askit and god juice horror stuff and more castles and kings?

The lethality felt extreme - someone nearly died every night we put any serious time in. But it was ****ing awesome. I wouldn't ramp it up. Especially as we're down 2 heads and og has to start again. As the plot takes us away from Sanderjarn, we need Bandylegs to require less maintenance.

If anything, I would warn the world that Goodie has gone full on First Blood and is roaming the mountainside muttering about how they shouldn't have pushed him. He's the most dangerous thing in the world.

I'm liking the flavour and the massive conspiracy. More of the same please.

Dungeonwise, we tend not to explore much before we lose limbs and run away. I don't think bigger is an option - it's more work for you but it will never see the light of day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I think we need to do more wilderness encounters, we jumped straight from one end boss to the next by taking the dragon ride. i'd like more of the multiple baddies like the first wilderness encounter, and guess we probably missed a good few by skipping over it. oh, and loving every second of it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Banjo wrote: »
    The lethality felt extreme - someone nearly died every night we put any serious time in. But it was ****ing awesome. I wouldn't ramp it up. Especially as we're down 2 heads and og has to start again. As the plot takes us away from Sanderjarn, we need Bandylegs to require less maintenance.

If anything, I would warn the world that Goodie has gone full on First Blood and is roaming the mountainside muttering about how they shouldn't have pushed him. He's the most dangerous thing in the world.

I'm liking the flavour and the massive conspiracy. More of the same please.

Dungeonwise, we tend not to explore much before we lose limbs and run away. I don't think bigger is an option - it's more work for you but it will never see the light of day

You need to meet real goodie

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote: »

More lethal or Less lethal in the next act? This will involve taking stuff from later editions.

I skew heavily to the weird fantasy end, would anybody prefer more traditional fantasy? Like less Askit and god juice horror stuff and more castles and kings?

I enjoy the mountain of madness
    But I’m hardcore
    So I bow to the gods

In short you are one of the most imaginative gms ive ever played with and I’m friends with the Gael con ogs

Ffs the stuff is soo seat turning I’m loosing sleep and I’m not the only one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Less dismemberment please, Bandy only has one item that has yet to be removed that won't result in his death :P

Other than that open to anything. The new characters will possibly struggle if the dungeons are as lethal is the only thing. Perhaps we could level them up through sidequests (hint hint) ;)

And yes, Tigs, I was nearly late for work today as my body tried to catch on the missed sleep from the past few nights. So setting a cut off point is a good call for each night (with maybe one late night adventure thrown in here and there).

But as a first, fullblown D&D experience this is absolutely amazing. I may actually weep if Bandylegs dies (I've grown attached to the six million GP Dwarf). Credit to you Fourier for making it such a brilliant experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Not sure how Elin fits into your plans for the next scene, might just be as well re-rolling a new character but I'll hold off till you decide what to do with Ghost-Elin anyway.

I think the lethal was just the right amount. I have no clue how most of those guys got away from the evils the last few nights. It's been nailbiting stuff to read. And (maybe sadistically) I like that some of the group are actually dying. It makes each fight so much more real and tense knowing your characters can actually die.

There is so much detail and knowledge in your posts that I must admit I got a bit lost with what was going on but the weird fantasy is great and your stuff has been so entertaining.

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »

I think the lethal was just the right amount. I have no clue how most of those guys got away from the evils the last few nights. It's been nailbiting stuff to read. And (maybe sadistically) I like that some of the group are actually dying. It makes each fight so much more real and tense knowing your characters can actually die.

Absolutely agree. It's what keeps me coming back. Bandy might deign to stay in Sanderjarn over the Christmas period though :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Necrominus wrote: »
    But as a first, fullblown D&D experience this is absolutely amazing. I may actually weep if Bandylegs dies (I've grown attached to the six million GP Dwarf). Credit to you Fourier for making it such a brilliant experience!

Didn’t you learn anything from the death of Xanthea? Don’t fall in love with yourself. Death is too painful :P

I said to Four in a PM too, that for someone with absolutely no experience of anything like this, who saw a hole when Banjo left the first time and thought “yeah let’s just fall into this” I thoroughly enjoyed it... right up to the point where Four went “kick... splat... you’re dead”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

...And (maybe sadistically) I like that some of the group are actually dying. It makes each fight so much more real and tense knowing your characters can actually die.

There is so much detail and knowledge in your posts that I must admit I got a bit lost with what was going on but the weird fantasy is great and your stuff has been so entertaining.
    +1 on killing off characters. Giving players time to bond with their characters and then killing them is evil, twisted and the very essence of the game. For me it's more about the roleplay than the hack and slash, I want to like my character and keep him going as long as I can but not to have the game simplified to the point where the PC becomes invincible/immortal. The risk has to be real.

On Saeros death, it was my stupidity that killed him, I should have been more cautious and stepped away from the TankMonster. His strength was in talking his way out of stuff and I forgot that, hence he died. Well, that and a ****ing nasty dice roll on Fouriers part. :mad:
    Apart from dying I really enjoy the adventure and hope that my new character can soon gel with the rest to keep it up. The extra-planer side excursions only whetted my appetite for more Spelljammin etc..

Four, you are a bastard and I'd like to buy you a drink. :)
    You've been putting in a huge amount of work and I too would like to add my thanks for that. Kudos,Sir.

One thing I would like is an occasional summery post of the main plot just to keep me grounded in the greater scheme of the game. I lost track of who was scheming with what and where.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

The biggest mistake both Saeros and Xanthea made was following that demented dwarf Bandylegs into a 100ft pit where millions of souls had escaped from just the previous day :(

I regret nothing.

Yeah, damn that Xanthea for trying to protect those she liked, and that pesky vampire too! :P

Yeah, damn that Xanthea for trying to protect those she liked, and that pesky vampire too!

Wasn't a criticism of them :) More a criticism of my character being headstrong (kinda has to be given he's lost the rest of his limbs at one point or another).

He was just starting to like the elf too.

Wasn't a criticism of them :) More a criticism of my character being headstrong (kinda has to be given he's lost the rest of his limbs at one point or another).

He was just starting to like the elf too.

Sorry! Wasn’t being clear enough that the post was intended in jest. Doesn’t matter if you led her to her death or tripped and fell, she was going down the hole (though the thought had crossed her mind to just stay up top and haul treasure)

OldGoat wrote: »
    One thing I would like is an occasional summery post of the main plot just to keep me grounded in the greater scheme of the game. I lost track of who was scheming with what and where.

Oooh I support this suggestion a million percent. It can be a bit daunting (and I've played WW so I know what I'm talking about) to trawl back through 15 pages of dialogue to see what the heck is actually going on and who is where. I am terrible at keeping notes so I frequently have to go back and try to figure out where I am and what I'm doing.

Also yeah, I tried really hard not to like Elin and to not think about her backstory. I cringed in terrible anticipation any time anyone gave more of their backstory coz I was thinking 'oh you're gonna be so sad now when they die'. And I fell into the same trap there last night when she was Zombying around the place. I gave her a backstory in my head and now I'm sad that she's almost gone. :(

I am looking forward to a new character though.

I had a night when Othegre was dead. And it was surprisingly ****ing awful, considering she was just a throw-away joke at the start. But if it taught me anything it's that if you really want to keep your character, Fourier can find you a way that doesn't make it feel cheap or like cheating. (Well, maybe it looks that way from the outside but I didn't feel like I was cheating :D)

Also, I'd recommend you roll that 2nd character anyway and see if there's something that sparks your interest and leave you happy to lay Elin to rest. I had a go but it just felt a bit thrown together compared to what I already had - Sorry, Syble LeGerde, you are never seeing the light of day!

In that respect, if you want Elin back, if this doesn't feel like the right end for her, see what options he can give you, and stay busy while you wait :D.

Nah, we all were wondering the purpose of the vampire pencil and it made perfect sense in the end... kind of :P

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    I had a night when Othegre was dead. And it was surprisingly ****ing awful, considering she was just a throw-away joke at the start. But if it taught me anything it's that if you really want to keep your character, Fourier can find you a way that doesn't make it feel cheap or like cheating. (Well, maybe it looks that way from the outside but I didn't feel like I was cheating :D)

Also, I'd recommend you roll that 2nd character anyway and see if there's something that sparks your interest and leave you happy to lay Elin to rest. I had a go but it just felt a bit thrown together compared to what I already had - Sorry, Syble LeGerde, you are never seeing the light of day!

In that respect, if you want Elin back, if this doesn't feel like the right end for her, see what options he can give you, and stay busy while you wait :D.

Nah I just rolled a new character there and he has piqued my interest so I'm happy to let Elin rest. It's still exciting rolling a new character. (The ****er STILL only has one hit point though FFS!)

Nah I just rolled a new character there and he has piqued my interest so I'm happy to let Elin rest. It's still exciting rolling a new character. (The ****er STILL only has one hit point though FFS!)

Sidequests are the key. Generally less lethal for the low levels.

(Although, Dwarfcatraz may be more lethal than all the dungeons combined)

How about an Ekbard expedition on the high seas? :P

You’ll be grand! Just get really good at not being seen :P

Sidequests are the key. Generally less lethal for the low levels.

(Although, Dwarfcatraz may be more lethal than all the dungeons combined)

How about an Ekbard expedition on the high seas? :P

Oooh Kal doesn't like water. No sireee bob. Goddammit I think I already prefer Kal to Elin. I'm such a fickle cow! Lol.

But yeah I'll be looking for all the side quests. First one is to get out of my manacles. :)

Piracy! Swashbuckling! Running away with an arm full of jewels while your comrades are cut to ribbons! Unexpectedly deft surgery! Sounds like an adventure - and we can probably afford a boat! Bandylegs' new body can probably transform into a hovercraft for amphibious assualt, Othegre is air-tight so I'll do the deep sea stuff. We'll stick Goodie in the crows nest because it's the furthest away from other people's vulnerable heads we can put him. Ekbard mans the helm. Moy swabs the decks (I've run out of things I know about boats!). We can mount Saeros's corpse on the front as a figure head until we find a forest to bury him in. Perfect!

I'm gutted with Saeros dead, I can't get the side-quest sub-quest where Simon renounces his vow to never spider-wrestle again in order to save a lost love or the spider orphanage where he grew up. Oh, and I guess I'll miss the elf too... :D

BTW - no pressure on anyone rolling new characters, we've been told that we're getting a 4D dungeon at some point (a la one of the Cube movies, maybe? Hopefully "Gleaming the Cube" so we can all get skateboards!) so we need a magic user that can read elfish. Or an angry, brutish magic user that can't read at all, and a young girl that can read elfish and sees the good in him; and through care, patience and the power of friendship manages to teach him to read and do the 4D mapping spell? I'll bank the Spellbook in Sanderjarn if necessary and we can always fly CitrAir back there when we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

On a side note, one of the reasons Saeros passing hit me was that I had just been playing a bit of minecraft, a UHC world where I had over 100 hours of gameplay but I got creeperblown into a lava pit. I deleted the world and then came here to play as Saeros...and died.
    DoubleDeathWhammy.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

another side note, if you have a rolled character ready after your death, let 4 know and try to get him to get that character found just before we leave the dungeon, that way the character will be just one level below all the rest, not a level 1 character!

sKeith wrote: »
    another side note, if you have a rolled character ready after your death, let 4 know and try to get him to get that character found just before we leave the dungeon, that way the character will be just one level below all the rest, not a level 1 character!

Hmm I may have to do that.

sKeith wrote: »

how so?

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    how so?
    fourier explained it way early on. they xp for the dungeons gets higher each time, and the xp from the dungeon will be enough to bring the player up to 1 level lower than the rest of the party.

Advertisement