Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did Bandy pay for the rust coat on his new appendages? If not it has to be the tunnel.

I hired an apprentice limbsmith to keep me in ship shape:P (see what i did there)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Everywhere we want to go is south of where we are now. Your vampire tower is North East on the other side of the giant mountain we just came down from. I don't think you're gonna get anyone on board with that much of a side quest.

To be clear, I'm not trying to get anyone on board with anything, except maybe a ship so we can write some shanties. I very much do NOT want to go there. I don't read/watch a lot of vampire stuff, but the standard rule is that whoever turns you owns you.

If we bring Bandy out on the high seas, the apprentice is going to have to keep sanding his limbs down till he's walking on toothpicks. But surely the undersea tunnels will be just as bad for salt in the air? We need an elf to craft him some environmentally friendly biodegradable wooden limbs. The surest way to save the world is by being responsible!

Everywhere we want to go is south of where we are now. Your vampire tower is North East on the other side of the giant mountain we just came down from. I don't think you're gonna get anyone on board with that much of a side quest.

I think I'd be more inclined to go with the shire/boat route. Even though I don't think Kal is very much enamoured with water.

I think he'd be less enamoured with the below scenario which would probably happen should we take the tunnels

(Yes I'm doing a lot of Disney research at the moment :P )

Ok, I've added map to favourites and points of interest to my notes. Save me hunting the thread here for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Or it could turn out this way...

• Advertisement

Next question I suppose is what type of ship are we going to:

a) buy
    b) afford.

Probably the one that makes most sense is the large sailing ship.

Party leaving Dwarrowtown (currently):

Bandylegs and 6 dwarves (may decrease) - Yes, I am now Doc.
    Ekbard and his retainer dwarf.
    Goodie
    Kal
    Flak
    Othegre

So 13 in total. Presuming Goodie doesn't pick up another army of dwarves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ekbard will have to give up his beloved cart if we go over the mountains.

We could split the journey.
    Boat to the port at 23:21 after stopping to see the lad paddle-boarding at 20:19.
    Re-equip for overland at Qaban then head south to Zassan.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Next question I suppose is what type of ship are we going to:

a) buy
    b) afford.

Probably the one that makes most sense is the large sailing ship.

Party leaving Dwarrowtown (currently):

Bandylegs and 6 dwarves (may decrease) - Yes, I am now Doc.
    Ekbard and his retainer dwarf.
    Goodie
    Kal
    Flak
    Othegre

So 13 in total. Presuming Goodie doesn't pick up another army of dwarves.
    I may or may not be travelling with you depending on whether I've just gotten myself killed and whether I'm allowed on a boat. And whether traveling with 8 Dwarves and their inherent prejudice is practical. If I am I'll need at least one retainer with me - put me down for 2 tickets!

How big is a "big sailing ship" in terms of bringing horses, carts, peeps etc. Had a bit of a google, an example Caravel will hold 30, 7 of which are the crew required to sail it. If we were to hire a dedicated crew there'd be enough of us that we can understudy for the first voyage, potentially pick up the required skills to at least move the boat and then if they were all to mysteriously fall overboard at night with their bodies entirely drained of blood it's not a big deal and no one needs to ask too many questions.

Banjo wrote: »
    I may or may not be travelling with you depending on whether I've just gotten myself killed and whether I'm allowed on a boat. And whether traveling with 8 Dwarves and their inherent prejudice is practical. If I am I'll need at least one retainer with me - put me down for 2 tickets!

How big is a "big sailing ship" in terms of bringing horses, carts, peeps etc. Had a bit of a google, an example Caravel will hold 30, 7 of which are the crew required to sail it. If we were to hire a dedicated crew there'd be enough of us that we can understudy for the first voyage, potentially pick up the required skills to at least move the boat and then if they were all to mysteriously fall overboard at night with their bodies entirely drained of blood it's not a big deal and no one needs to ask too many questions.

As per the rulebook:

Sailing Ship, Large: This large, seaworthy ship is 100 to 150
    feet long, 25 to 30 feet wide, a draft of 10 to 12 feet, and has
    a crew of 70. It can carry 30,000 pounds of cargo. It has
    square sails on its three masts and is sometimes equipped with
    two catapults. Cost is 22,000GP

Seems big enough to me

A crew of 70???
    That's like a ****ing buffet army! I know if we chip in we can get the boat but how are we going to pay the crew? Might make more sense to charter than buy outright.

(no idea why I googled instead of reading the rule book... guess I'm just enjoying net neutrality while I still can :D)

• Advertisement

A crew of 70???
    That's like a ****ing buffet army! I know if we chip in we can get the boat but how are we going to pay the crew? Might make more sense to charter than buy outright.

(no idea why I googled instead of reading the rule book... guess I'm just enjoying net neutrality while I still can :D)

Yes that was the one thought I had. Might be best to have Fourier go over rules for said sea travel if it comes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ook
    play my ww game peolpe otd vanilla yummy vanilla

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Can we just get to the port first if we're going overland to Darport and worry about the ship then? We'll probably lose a few more guys on the way. Lol.
    I don't think we'll need a large ship. Surely not? The small ship should do but it doesn't say how many people it holds.

Can we just get to the port first if we're going overland to Darport and worry about the ship then? We'll probably lose a few more guys on the way. Lol.
    I don't think we'll need a large ship. Surely not? The small ship should do but it doesn't say how many people it holds.

Oh yes, I wasn't suggesting buying it in Dwarrowtown, I don't think Ekbard's cart is big enough to carry it. Small ship will probably do, we can work that out along the way. I presume most people have their business almost concluded? I have to meet with this delegate, then get the Ekbard/dwarf warrior fight out of the way, pick up my horse and lodge some money to the bank then I'm ready to go.

Yeah I'm basically done once I can get my crossbow from someone who isn't a thieving bastard. Do I need a horse?

Yeah I'm basically done once I can get my crossbow from someone who isn't a thieving bastard. Do I need a horse?

I presume Elin's Horsey was also squished by the avalanche. I think Goodie and Bandy were the only two who didn't have their horses with them at that point.

So... up to you? You could ride in Ekbard's cart I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Why do we need to buy a ship? can't we not do as everybody else does and goto a port and pay to be transported/ferried from one place to another. Its alot cheaper that buying a ship and we dont need to crew it up and discard it when we get to dry land again. If we offer enough coin to a ships captain or owner, they'll take us anywhere?

Aww so we're not gonna become a band of rogue pirates scouring the high seas for booty?

stick an "Again" on the end of that sentence for Ekbard - he has a backstory :D

Real pirates don't buy ships, they take'em. Arrrrrrr.

20.18, is that a statue in the middle of the ocean?
    intriguing

• Advertisement

stick an "Again" on the end of that sentence for Ekbard - he has a backstory :D

Real pirates don't buy ships, they take'em. Arrrrrrr.

Its like one of them movies where you tell people loads of lies, then all the lies start to come true, then you start to question you own sanity.

sKeith wrote: »
    Why do we need to buy a ship? can't we not do as everybody else does and goto a port and pay to be transported/ferried from one place to another. Its alot cheaper that buying a ship and we dont need to crew it up and discard it when we get to dry land again. If we offer enough coin to a ships captain or owner, they'll take us anywhere?

we arent buying a ship
    we will offer tonpay a captain and he will drive us there

Tigger wrote: »
    we arent buying a ship
    we will offer tonpay a captain and he will drive us there

did i just inception you? :D

did i just inception you? :D

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tigger wrote: »
    ook
    play my ww game peolpe otd vanilla yummy vanilla
    Spam!
    Necrominus wrote: »
    Oh yes, I wasn't suggesting buying it in Dwarrowtown, I don't think Ekbard's cart is big enough to carry it. Small ship will probably do, we can work that out along the way. I presume most people have their business almost concluded? I have to meet with this delegate, then get the Ekbard/dwarf warrior fight out of the way, pick up my horse and lodge some money to the bank then I'm ready to go.

I have yet to meet with you and have yet to be persuaded or ordered to join up. I'll have to see some clear advantages especially if I've managed to get a letter of introduction to the court mage.
    After that I'll just have a bit of shopping to do and a good nights sleep so I can refresh my one and only spell.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Its like one of them movies where you tell people loads of lies, then all the lies start to come true, then you start to question you own sanity.

Mr Deeds?

"I'm pam dawson from Winchestertonfieldville."

Aw.... i wanted to buy a ship

You can't afford a boat! Don't you have a limbsmith to pay off?

I'm curious, if you don't pay your limbsmith bill, what do they do? Send a guy around to break your legs, which are still under warranty and have to be repaired by the limbsmith?

I'm curious, if you don't pay your limbsmith bill, what do they do? Send a guy around to break your legs, which are still under warranty and have to be repaired by the limbsmith?

can someone tell me where we are going because if we are going through the shire im gona be pissed

• Advertisement

I paid the limbsmith before we left for the mountain! No indication on a bill for the arms, I presume the masters covered those costs

Advertisement