Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

sKeith wrote: »
    I left my book on the immortals at home, but they no longer earn XP, They earn power points :D 10,000xp = 1 PP.
    There are two Immortal rule sets, one called "Immortals" and another called "Wrath of the Immortals". The systems are a good bit different, although PP based as you said.

PP is both used to level and a consumable power source for abilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well I don't want to end D&D that's for sure! Obviously it's up to the other actually alive players, but as a newbie in the beginning, this has swiftly become my absolute favorite thing on the earth to play.

And that's credit to you Four! It's been an absolutely absorbing, sometimes frustrating, always worrying, amazing last four months!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I can see the logic in ending it, and nothing hammered that home more than last night.
    The current characters are unsustainable - they're so ridiculously strong than the level of threat you'd need to introduce to challenge them would be nonsensical. You can't start a new character. There is no point in being a Level 1 or 2 or 8 standing behind Goodie or Ekbard or Bandy, because either the dungeon is at a level your character can handle - in which case they can breeze through it and you're just holding them up - or it's pitched at a level they can handle - in which case if you come out from behind them, you are re-rolling again about 3 seconds later. It's stifling and it's paralysing and it's not fun; and over a long enough timeline, where Goodie and Ekbard naturally find their ends for good or bad it's sustainably not fun because there will always be one or two players who's power dwarfs the new-rolls simply because they were carried through a few high level dungeons.

That said : **** logic.

Echoing Necro, this is my favourite thing in the world to do now.
    I have seldom been as angry, as frustrated, as anxious, as elated or as excited as the last few months.
    You can stop DMing this world if you want, but I have the map, and I have a pencil - I'll just write my posts on napkins and receipts and stick them in bins and imagine responses.

Moving onto a different campaign might be the answer, I'd have to take it to PM with Four re: Bandy as I don't know if entering an immortal immediately into a new campaign is workable, I'm new and don't understand the systems so if it's good without being too overpowered for other new players I'd be happy to go that way.

That being said, I have no issues rolling a new character for a new campaign either.

If there is to be a new campaign, can I suggest a Hall of Fame thread where all the players of this campaign can post a tribute to their characters? :D

Details of their exploits, links to their best posts etc. And on saying this Banjo is already compiling a thesis :pac:

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote: »
    Continue with D&D, starting a new game set in Eberron with Othegre or another setting. BandyLegs per BECMI rules can play an avatar of BandyLegs that functions as a player character. Might start with Othegre being the quest giver. (Give Banjo an NPC)

Alas, since her abandonment in an alternate ruleset, I've been expressing my grief through research, and when you stuck an arrow in her arse that gave her the means to identify her own plane, and as a venerated immortal of the Blood of Vol she has access to the power necessary to send her back. And since you aren't DMing Eberron, I took on the mantle and decided, "yeah, that's fine". The rules are more relaxed there. We roll D20s for stats and you get to carry over the extras from any 19s or 20s to spend on the lower rolls, there's a Bard class where any originally penned freestyle raps or folk songs get rewarded with power points for activating high level spells, all of the mountains look like boobs from a distance and in summer the Donut orchards pay transient workers with excess product. It's a magical place.

In practical terms, any campaign with her starting the quests would rely on a party made of lay-people of the Blood of Vol which would require a fairly narrow focus for PCs (everyone believing in the divinity of self) and might be limiting for the players.
    No to mention that there's very little she could ask others for that would be much more than a gopher job. "I need a sample of <x> from <monster y> which you will find in <region x>" - and I don't want to ever be bored by her.

However, she'd make an excellent healthcare provider. Flying to the far flung corners of the world on a black winged Pegasunigon, cure wounds from light to critical, replacing conciousnesses in vat grown bodies, regrowing limbs, not necessarily in the same number, configuration or genus as the ones originally lost but you're coming across a little ungrateful bringing that up, you know?

Actually, I'm turning myself around on this. If you want to start a party out as vat grown clones, armed with Magic Jar necklaces, sent on ridiculously dangerous journeys to grab samples for her in exchange for earning their freedom, with the option of restarting your character in the event of death early on provided your soul was successfully captured and your necklace retrieved, I'm game. It could be like the Apprentice - 2 teams, 1 exotic creature that she wants a liver from, who will retrieve the sample? Dwayne and Simon accompany the teams in the field and help Lord Othegre decide which team wins and who gets sent to the vats.
    Or we end D&D and move onto a new game/system
    NEVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i reckon we bring the money to the shire and set the richness in motion and then go press the button that says do not press

then a different system , i don't know what it is or what you hve the books for Four. personally i think we should do something different to sword and soarcery to show the players other stuff is cool.

But.... I like Swords and Sorcery :(

You should have saved that above for the HOF thread Banjo. :)

Eh... if memory serves Goodie was last seen hopping dimensions in a flying soup can, Othegre was using dimensional portals to jump hundreds of feet in the air, Ekbard has a lazer gun, Kal and Flak just violated I don't know how many Disney copyrights, and Bandy just saved the world using only the power of friendship. We left the swords and the sorcery behind a long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

can't wait for maulers HOF

• Advertisement

"He was the best of fighters, he was the worst of fighters. Mostly the worst."

One thing I wish had been worked into a post was this tune:

Okay we look like we're initiating something big on the main thread.

Banjo has also used the arrow to, as I hoped, use his creative juices to come up with some class-bending nonsense to get home:
    OOC : You should have let her lie. She was happy, even if I wasn't.
    NO FUKING WAY!!!

I decided yesterday, Othegre was within spitting distance of the end. Kuma is a cool character, but no way is Othegre going to be absent for the end due to missing the bus!

Soet is the first epic level being to die by a nude dwarf god jumping on him while a statue empowered by a necklace from a fighter punches him, while said fighter pummels him, said nude dwarf plane shifts him, a vivimantic vampire clones herself, alignment shifts him and fingers him in every organ, nude dwarf meteor summon bombs him and an arrow does him in in the end.

Why oh why did Bandy have to be nude :pac:

Maybe you're like a dwarven Bayonetta, clothed in your own beard?

In fairness, as a God, just conjure a ****ing toga!

can someone count the posts wevemande on board gaming and look at the forum charter and tell me that we shouldnt look again for a sub forum or sometging.
    Welcome to the Forum Games section of boards.ie

The top level forum will be used to host general chat, social events, "game" admin, game FAQ and notifications.

Each Game type (werewolf etc) will then have a sub-forum to host the game threads and game thread chats allowing for privacy for the role players without having to worry about trolls or spoilers.

according to the charter we should get one

look at the stickys tho thy aren't forum games stickys they are WW stickys

i think this should be raised again

according to the charter there should also be a sub for logic games like codewords

Banjo wrote: »
    Maybe you're like a dwarven Bayonetta, clothed in your own beard?

In fairness, as a God, just conjure a ****ing toga!

Not in my powers :(

Telekinesis - Check.

Quicker movement - Check.

Meteor Fireballs - Check.

Conjure some fcuking clothes.... Negative.

Tigger wrote: »
    can someone count the posts wevemande on board gaming and look at the forum charter and tell me that we shouldnt look again for a sub forum or sometging.

according to the charter we should get one

look at the stickys tho thy aren't forum games stickys they are WW stickys

i think this should be raised again

The point was made that tagging would segregate this game adequately. And for one game it probably would. (Are those tags live yet?)

Well if Fourier's plans to run Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu and maybe more DnD come to fruition, and any of these overlap, the front page of this forum will be overrun. And I'm not suggesting that anything untoward be organised, but if Codewords continues apace, you'd risk pushing any fledgling thread trying to drum up interest in a new game right off page one within minutes.

If that's happening, there's a case to be made because any one game type that's so popular it breaks the main function of the main forum needs to be ringfenced.

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    Not in my powers :(

Telekinesis - Check.

Quicker movement - Check.

Meteor Fireballs - Check.

Conjure some fcuking clothes.... Negative.

Hmmm.. I could have animalised you, given you fur. Or grown you an extra appendage (a hand to cover your modesty, or a wing?)

Any game that doesn't have vivimancy is half a game.

Banjo wrote: »
    The point was made that tagging would segregate this game adequately. And for one game it probably would. (Are those tags live yet?)

Well if Fourier's plans to run Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu and maybe more DnD come to fruition, and any of these overlap, the front page of this forum will be overrun. And I'm not suggesting that anything untoward be organised, but if Codewords continues apace, you'd risk pushing any fledgling thread trying to drum up interest in a new game right off page one within minutes.

If that's happening, there's a case to be made because any one game type that's so popular it breaks the main function of the main forum needs to be ringfenced.

the very wording of the charter stated each game type would get its own sub
    its forum games not sometimes stuff thats not werewolf

Okay plans ahoy!!!!

So for slow paced games, the following Powered by the Apocalypse games will be on offer (I've pmed a few about this):