Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

What is it with you and causing player death??

Looking forward to finding out what the new class options and mechanics are but I'll just end up rolling another female evil healymagic type with a massively labour intensive gimic like I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    What is it with you and causing player death??
    Well I don't do it in other RPGs, only D&D. Still though even with the special rules, it still won't be quite as lethal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Presumably the new campaign will be similar pace to Traveller? So as not to scare off the entirety of boards with the exception of four lunatics :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Necrominus wrote: »
    Presumably the new campaign will be similar pace to Traveller? So as not to scare off the entirety of boards with the exception of four lunatics :pac:

Ah balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

/in

• Advertisement

Pace is slow, except on "Dungeon nights", they're not the same slow.

Fourier wrote: »
    Pace is slow, except on "Dungeon nights", they're not the same slow.

Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I miss dungeon nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Orc bard FTW!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

If you are new to RPGs on forums and any of the below makes little sense, but you are interested, just PM me.

So we have concluded one D&D campaign and by massive public demand (i.e. OldGoat) I am starting a new slow paced one. That's two/three posts per day typically.

I learned a lot with the last game, so we will have special "dungeon nights" where the post rate will be a good bit higher. Unlike last time these will be flagged in advance, so people can bow in or out.

Rules will be 5th Edition rules, free versions here:
    http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PlayerBasicRulesV03.pdf

This only mentions four of the classes, so a document with all Races and Classes is here:
    http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf

(Races on p.3 and Classes on p.11)

All this information is available in a nicer form in the official Player's Handbook.

This new game will be set in a world we slowly created in the last game, but 200 years later and with more of the world revealed.

If you're interested just post here.

• Advertisement

Do I need to sign up again? :P

/in if so.

Edit: Elven Rogue reporting for duty.

Name, stats, etc to follow in the am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I shall play
    Slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

In pls, never too much D&D

We won't go into all the details now, but the rules are very simple.

I decide a target number and you roll a d20. Roll equal or better than the target and you succeed.

Depending on the circumstances you get modifiers applied to your roll, for example if it is something your class is proficient in you get +2 to the roll. Also if the Ability Score related to the roll (e.g. Dexterity for Stealth) is high or low you'll get values added or subtracted.

You'll have a value called AC (Armour Class), this is how high somebody has to roll in combat to hit you. Everybody, PC, NPC or monster, has an AC value.

You can generate the ability scores via assigning the fixed list to them (mentioned on p.7 of the rules):
    15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Or you can go the random route (also described on p.7). If you do, perform the rolls here:
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards.ie%20D%26D

If you go the random route I'll take the first thing you roll. :D

EDIT: Oh and say who you are first if you go by rolling!

In!

Fourier wrote: »
    You can generate the ability scores via assigning the fixed list to them (mentioned on p.7 of the rules):
    15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Or you can go the random route (also described on p.7). If you do, perform the rolls here:
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards.ie%20D%26D

If you go the random route I'll take the first thing you roll. :D

EDIT: Oh and say who you are first if you go by rolling!

Ooops. I did rolls in a different room...:o:o

Character sheets to the normal thread presumably Four?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I'll play. Will you be sticking to the PHB or can we use other 5e books too?

All 5E books are valid. I find 5E doesn't spiral out of control with all the books included.

When Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is released that'll be alright as well.

For others reading, Xanathar's Guide to Everything is probably the best book outside of the PHB to look at.

Cool. How do you change your name on rolz? I got an autogenerated one.

• Advertisement

Think I helped you Evade. Welcome to the club :)

Fourier when calculating AC in this it seems to be 10 + Dex modifier. I have 2 bonuses for Dex - +2 for elf and +3 for stats. Is it 10 +5 or just 10 +3?

Think I helped you Evade. Welcome to the club :)

Fourier when calculating AC in this it seems to be 10 + Dex modifier. I have 2 bonuses for Dex - +2 for elf and +3 for stats. Is it 10 +5 or just 10 +3?
    Thanks. Not to step on Fourier's toes but the +2 from your race gets added to the score not the modifier so your modifier would be +4.

I'll be a Tiefling storm sorcerer since I didn't mention it before.

Any limitations on UA Fourier? Will run a Circle of the Spore Firbolg if not

*Edit* Anyone looking at Ranger Class, I'd recommend checking out the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger

There are now more words in a class name than there used to be classes.....

Banjo wrote: »
    There are now more words in a class name than there used to be classes.....

Unearthed Arcana is like 5es Free DLC, Revised Ranger made the class somewhat useful at higher levels

*Edit* Anyone looking at Ranger Class, I'd recommend checking out the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger

I'm taking (Wood) Elven Rogue with a criminal background. I'll leave the advanced roles like Ranger to the more experienced players :)

I'm taking (Wood) Elven Rogue with a criminal background. I'll leave the advanced roles like Ranger to the more experienced players :)

Rogue is one of the ones you've got loads to remember iirc, Monk is the most complex.

5e is fairly simple though, you'd be sound with anything

Rogue is one of the ones you've got loads to remember iirc, Monk is the most complex.

5e is fairly simple though, you'd be sound with anything

Ah yeah, looking at the books Four gave us there's a lot more detail required for character creation. Spent a couple of hours late last night working out most of the details and happy for a change of pace from the drunken dwarf :pac:

• Advertisement

Also allowed. For others Unearthed Ariana is an official blog with extra classes and races:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles-tags/unearthed-arcana

Advertisement