Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Here's hoping, Mike Mearls said something about Dark Sun on his twitter. If they were setting books, my guess would be Eberron and Dark Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nerds

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is Dark Sun the kind of Mad Max / Dying Earth setting with the cactuses that can fire out probisci to suck victims dry? Cooooool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'd like to sign up please.

Just a thought: Having read through this thread I'm very conscious of how much I don't know. I'd like to sign up but if people think I'm not ready then please do let me know. I don't want to slow gameplay up.

• Advertisement

None of us knew anything about 5e going in, and we still don't know much so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd recommend getting Walter Kammerer's 5e character builder for Android and the community data file that imports a lot of the content it's missing, and 5e Complete Reference also for android which is not as complete as it says it is but with about 15-20 imports from the forum it can be.

Don't read them yet.
    Decide what kind of a role you'd like to have - head basher, death-rainer-downer, magical H-bomb, support, all rounder, whatever - and go on to Tigger's Character Clinic in the D&D forum to hash out what people think is a good character fit for your needs with people who know the rules system better than you do. Then play around with all the different variations of sub-classes, race and sub race and what not in the character builder to see if you can find one that gives you what you want.

Creating a character in 5e is fairly easy. Creating one you're entirely happy with - that's something else :D But it's good fun and it's definitely feasible for you to have something you're satisfied with up and running in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

5e is pretty easy. The Player's Handbook is 300 pages which seems pretty daunting but only about 30 of those pages are the rules and then another 2-5 pages of relevant stuff for your race and class. There are other books but all you'll take from those is the 2-5 pages of race and class stuff.

Even if you spent weeks reading the relevant parts the only real way to learn is by doing.

Combat is probably the most difficult part of the game but some classes are easier to play than others.

Easy: Fighter, Barbarian. You just hit things with a sharp, pointy, or heavy thing and have some easy to understand abilities

Medium: Monk, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock. You still basically just hit things but have some, or in the case of Warlock a good bit of, magic or other more complicated class abilities.

Hard: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard. The full on spellcasters. Knowing what your spells do and deciding when to use them is what makes these classes harder to play.

How easy a class is to play has no bearing on how effective it can be, especially in the early levels of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Just a thought: Having read through this thread I'm very conscious of how much I don't know. I'd like to sign up but if people think I'm not ready then please do let me know. I don't want to slow gameplay up.

Do note that this is a slow paced game.

Have a quick browse though D&D II Act One Scene I - Heroes for hire
    and take note of dates and times posted to get a grasp of the speed.

I downloaded the Fifth Edition app. Is that okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Yes,

the E in 5E means edition :) i didnt figure that out for ages.

• Advertisement

Be a bard, we'll start a band. Then we'll get a manager. Then we'll get some roadies...
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fourier I dunno if you've had a look at rolz, but we may not have access come this time next month

Screenshot_20180412-100434.png

How many are playing in Werewolf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    How many are playing in Werewolf?

Me, but you probably know my situ already. Off from Monday morning, available until Wednesday then AFK for the best part of a month :(

Will be around to play Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday regardless

The bit coming up is combat heavy, let me know when people are around and you aren't should I autopilot you.

I'm around until 1600 today and most of the weekend.

If autopilot I have 3 spell slots left (I converted my sorcery points into one). Ice Knife on a group, Witch Bolt if an enemy looks tough, otherwise Ray of Frost at range, or shocking grasp if in melee.

I might become busy soon and have to head, if early tomorrow suits others? I usually hold off on Fridays because of your RL game Evade.

Thanks

Stick me on Auto over the weekend if necessary, I could do with a lvl up, but pls try not to kill Mags off yet, I'm just getting to like him.

Also I've just been told that there is a limit to how many times I can give Bardic Inspiration but I've not been keeping track. 3 or 4 times now. Do I get a reset at some point remembering that I just did have a nice long restful sleep with my gang of mercenaries in the desert.

• Advertisement

You can use bardic inspiration as many times as your charisma modifier and get them back after a long rest.

I'm around till around 4:30, spotty availability between 6 and 9, then gone for tonight, will possibly be around tomorrow morning. Kids party in the afternoon though in a bad coverage area. Kids swimming on sunday, bad coverage there too.

Autopilot if the other 2 are pushing forward, typically agonizing blasts from distance, Hex on something big, if it gets hairy send the Raven in to claw a big threat's eyes out, and when it fails press the advantage that gives me. Haven't summoned it back to me yet this rest, so should get two goes of that.
    Have 2 spell slots. Most likely to use Hex twice, but if we're in a tight spot and it's likely to help I have Hellish Rebuke as a reaction if we're being sniped from range.
    I'm going to regret dropping that temporary hitpoints spell :D

(I'm assuming the combat heavy thing is the Slaver camp?)

We'll pause there for today I think. I'll aim for tomorrow night. If that doesn't suit others we'll go for Monday perhaps.

I'm going to continue with Sarric and Varkrash, seeing as one is independent of the rest of you and Necro will be heading for a while soon.

While that makes perfect sense and I wholeheartedly endorse this approach, be prepared for all the passive-aggressive bull**** I'm going to PM you about how neglected I feel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote:
    We'll pause there for today I think. I'll aim for tomorrow night. If that doesn't suit others we'll go for Monday perhaps.

I don't mind holding for the others, given weekends are when Banjo is busy
    /childminding/drinking/howling at the moon/devil worshipping/playing Nintendo/all of the latter options.

Free all day Monday to Wednesday so I can hold till then (tie up Vampire in the interim ahead of my absence perhaps)

Banjo wrote: »
    While that makes perfect sense and I wholeheartedly endorse this approach, be prepared for all the passive-aggressive bull**** I'm going to PM you about how neglected I feel.

Necrominus wrote: »
    I don't mind holding for the others, given weekends are when Banjo is busy
    /childminding/drinking/howling at the moon/devil worshipping/playing Nintendo/all of the latter options.

Free all day Monday to Wednesday so I can hold till then (tie up Vampire in the interim ahead of my absence perhaps)

I don't howl at the moon, I curse the sun. Howling at the moon would wake the kids. Otherwise spot on.

Makes no sense for you to wait for us. You're at the bottom of a shaft to the underdark, which is 7 minutes fall at terminal velocity if past life regression serves, 45 minutes at a reasonable levitation and days and days of player time rolling Dex if we are forced to climb - even for Spiderdrow. And that's assuming we can murder all them slavers. I think we're probably ok to resolve our situations seperately up to the point where one timeline starts to impinge on another.

However we can cheer you on from the top if you like?

@Four : I really hope you picked that song based on it's title or because that's your auntie so you're morally obliged to push it. Grody to the max!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ill be round the next few evenings

Uh.... are you sitting down...?

you.... you should sit down.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    @Four : I really hope you picked that song based on it's title or because that's your auntie so you're morally obliged to push it. Grody to the max!
    It's because it's how I really feel Banjo.

Advertisement