Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Off for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Hi, I'm interested in joining a game if there is one open. I haven't played before but I'm familiar with D&D rules and how it works, I've listened to the Acquisitions Inc podcasts along with a few other ones so i should be able to get up to speed quickly enough.

Thanks

randomrb wrote: »
    Hi, I'm interested in joining a game if there is one open. I haven't played before but I'm familiar with D&D rules and how it works, I've listened to the Acquisitions Inc podcasts along with a few other ones so i should be able to get up to speed quickly enough.

Thanks
    You can join the current game with a Level 2 character if you wish (unless you want to start directly at Level 1). Just let us know if you need help making a character.

The world is basically weird fantasy in the style of Jack Vance, Clarke Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard. With a good mix of random stuff we've added as we've gone. Rules are 5E D&D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    You can join the current game with a Level 2 character if you wish (unless you want to start directly at Level 1). Just let us know if you need help making a character.

The world is basically weird fantasy in the style of Jack Vance, Clarke Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard. With a good mix of random stuff we've added as we've gone. Rules are 5E D&D.

Pfft. Pish-Posh. It's clearly Four-topia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ha!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Thanks

Recap :
    A boat lands in the desert port of Zassan, bearing an unlikely fellowship. 7 they number, though I don't recommend you pick a favourite or get too attached at this early stage. Thief (Fargadras) and warrior (Rhiggy), druid (Brú) and monk (Sarric), bard (Mags) and sorcerer (Therai), warlock (Retula) and (in hindsight this format is made for an even number of players). The council tasks them with saving the city for what can only be described as a fairly middling fee, through the completion of 4 tasks, some of which get done, but mostly by accident.

They free a couple of imprisoned desert gods, Fargadras falls through a door and burns to death on the plane of fire and is replaced by Vrakrash the dragonborn Fighter; they monkey with their own DNA, they steal a giant diamond that no one wants to buy; Brú drowns (But canonically survives), they meet a bunch of dwarf pervs, half of the group sell the other half into slavery as part of a cunning plan to beat the slavers that goes awry sending the slave half to a dinosaur-infested jungle island while the others go Ant fighting and visit the lowerdark. Sarric goes on a tour of D&Ds greatest hits settings with a vampire warrior he was kinda supposed to assassinate.

Therai eventually goes solo, becomes a very successful tomb-raider and retires. Retula becomes an unemployed bystander murderer, gets relocated to a southern metropolis where she becomes a soul-binding gopher for Death. Mags secures patronage, catering and a few acts for his coming-soon-no-really music festival and gets a magic talking guitar. Everything is serene and calm, but you know, portals are a mother****er.

Sarric - reunited with Vrakrash and Rhiggy - makes the mistake of asking them what they want to do. The answer appears to be start a war with the most heavily fortified city-state on the planet. So they do. And they basically win. Here they meet a reluctant paladin (Iuric), solve a murder, discover the origin of the dwarvish race, rescue a new PC (Jeremy the Wizard), collapse a chunk of unreality, breach the Gigadark (the under-under-underdark) and go all the way through to the Inner World - the hard bit around the pips when you core an apple. When they hear there's a valley in which any action could cause all hell to break loose, why they just have to go there, getting shrunk, summoning powerful end of level bosses, Pulling their former comrades out of their peaceful pastoral existences, and roughing up a bunch of harmless robots until they let them into their spiderman-filled cellar. And here you find us. Except Jeremy who got split in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Thanks for the recap i'll do a bit of reading up this evening and get a character sheet done, any particular class that would be useful to such an eclectic band of adventurers

Thanks for the recap i'll do a bit of reading up this evening and get a character sheet done, any particular class that would be useful to such an eclectic band of adventurers
    The party is quite decently covered, so really any class you want. We don't have a Barbarian or Rogue (or Sorcerer or Cleric, but the roles of those two are sort of covered by other classes).

For everybody else I might not be around until 8-9.

Banjo wrote: »
    Recap :
    A boat lands in the desert port of Zassan, bearing an unlikely fellowship. 7 they number, though I don't recommend you pick a favourite or get too attached at this early stage. Thief (Fargadras) and warrior (Rhiggy), druid (Brú) and monk (Sarric), bard (Mags) and sorcerer (Therai), warlock (Retula) and (in hindsight this format is made for an even number of players). The council tasks them with saving the city for what can only be described as a fairly middling fee, through the completion of 4 tasks, some of which get done, but mostly by accident.

They free a couple of imprisoned desert gods, Fargadras falls through a door and burns to death on the plane of fire and is replaced by Vrakrash the dragonborn Fighter; they monkey with their own DNA, they steal a giant diamond that no one wants to buy; Brú drowns (But canonically survives), they meet a bunch of dwarf pervs, half of the group sell the other half into slavery as part of a cunning plan to beat the slavers that goes awry sending the slave half to a dinosaur-infested jungle island while the others go Ant fighting and visit the lowerdark. Sarric goes on a tour of D&Ds greatest hits settings with a vampire warrior he was kinda supposed to assassinate.

Therai eventually goes solo, becomes a very successful tomb-raider and retires. Retula becomes an unemployed bystander murderer, gets relocated to a southern metropolis where she becomes a soul-binding gopher for Death. Mags secures patronage, catering and a few acts for his coming-soon-no-really music festival and gets a magic talking guitar. Everything is serene and calm, but you know, portals are a mother****er.

Sarric - reunited with Vrakrash and Rhiggy - makes the mistake of asking them what they want to do. The answer appears to be start a war with the most heavily fortified city-state on the planet. So they do. And they basically win. Here they meet a reluctant paladin (Iuric), solve a murder, discover the origin of the dwarvish race, rescue a new PC (Jeremy the Wizard), collapse a chunk of unreality, breach the Gigadark (the under-under-underdark) and go all the way through to the Inner World - the hard bit around the pips when you core an apple. When they hear there's a valley in which any action could cause all hell to break loose, why they just have to go there, getting shrunk, summoning powerful end of level bosses, Pulling their former comrades out of their peaceful pastoral existences, and roughing up a bunch of harmless robots until they let them into their spiderman-filled cellar. And here you find us. Except Jeremy who got split in half.

My favourite part ;) WYWT :pac:

Off for the night

• Advertisement

Off for the night

Off for the night

Off for the night

Off for the night

For anyone who hasn't already got a hard copy of books, or has some wobbly shelves they need to prop one of the legs of up, check-a-check it out :

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dd-core-rulebook-set-3-books-screen-7866-amazon-3007707

PHB, DMG and MM for £80 - Not too shabby for new considering you wouldn't get them second hand for much less than €25ish each. And these are first hand! First! That's better than second! Never again look at a nacho-dust thumbprint and wonder "is that mine?" - it is!
    Release date is in october.
    Before you ask, no I don't know if any of the pages will be printed upside down.

Off for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

For anyone who hasn't already got a hard copy of books, or has some wobbly shelves they need to prop one of the legs of up, check-a-check it out :

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dd-core-rulebook-set-3-books-screen-7866-amazon-3007707

PHB, DMG and MM for £80 - Not too shabby for new considering you wouldn't get them second hand for much less than €25ish each. And these are first hand! First! That's better than second! Never again look at a nacho-dust thumbprint and wonder "is that mine?" - it is!
    Release date is in october.
    Before you ask, no I don't know if any of the pages will be printed upside down.
    I only just noticed the October release date. This is the new cover set that I definitely don't need unless one of my other books has an unfortunate accident.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dd-core-rules-gift-set

those hobby store covers are gorgeous!
    but since most of the contents of these books is available on line and I wouldn't be reading them at home, they'd just be a guilty secret like my seven sets of dice that I keep hidden and occasionally fondle. Can't... justify... the... wait, hand! What are you doing??? Don't click the 1-click ordering button! Nooooooo!

Off for the night

Off for the night

• Advertisement

So, I'm going to operate on a new schedule. Going to mention Vampire as Necro is in both.

D&D will be on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. This will be for a while. It's less days, but see below it will be higher speed on the days it is on (I hope)
    Vampire will be on Wednesday (although I'll have the odd few posts the other days).

In D&D we are coming to Ursula's tower. I just want to be clear on something outside the game to prevent disappointment. The tower is a megadungeon. It is possible that upon exiting your characters will be Level 8 or 9. It is also a negadungeon to a good degree, following 1E design principles of lethality (e.g. certain things are save or die, doing certain things will just outright kill you). It's the latter I wanted to mention as it means the traps etc are not following 5E style rules, but more OSR/1E stuff.
    It also means it will often be the high speed posting rate of a 1E dungeon.

What happens on character death, is that it until the end of the dungeon for you?

Evade wrote: »
    What happens on character death, is that it until the end of the dungeon for you?

sKeith is bringing along NPCs for everyone in the audience it seems :pac:

This will come up in the tower but no harm explaining it here.

You'll have options, I'll mention two. Though there will be no halt in play: You die, you'll be back in shortly.

1. If you want to keep the character, they'll reappear somewhere in the dungeon at Level 1-3 (rolled). However the option that lets you keep them has a cost.
    2. New character, Level 3. They'll be found in the dungeon in the next room or two the group enters.

I don't know if it was your intent for that to sound sinister but... That's like Jeffrey Dahmer asking if you have any ketchup back in yours.

Time to start speccing a few level threes then.

This will come up in the tower but no harm explaining it here.

You'll have options, I'll mention two. Though there will be no halt in play: You die, you'll be back in shortly.

1. If you want to keep the character, they'll reappear somewhere in the dungeon at Level 1-3 (rolled). However the option that lets you keep them has a cost.
    2. New character, Level 3. They'll be found in the dungeon in the next room or two the group enters.

Yeah, Retula's never-ending wish to kill all those resurrected :pac:

No need. I have.... Other plans. But I appreciate your concern.

I don't know if it was your intent for that to sound sinister but... That's like Jeffrey Dahmer asking if you have any ketchup back in yours.
    I meant that as a response to Fourier.

I fully expect Iuric to end up as a pin cushion in this dungeon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I meant that as a response to Fourier.

I fully expect Iuric to end up as a pin cushion in this dungeon.

You never know, you could do an 'ekbard' and walk haplessly through all the most dangerous traps, oblivious!

Advertisement