Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would you pay for a set of irons?

Options
  • 02-11-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone

I'm doing a quick survey about how much you would spend on a set of irons and have 2 questions. I would be extremely grateful for any input you might have.

1. Would you pay €3000 for a set of irons?

2. Do you believe that because a set might cost €3000, that it has to be better than a set that costs 1/3 or even 1/4 the price?

Also, I would love your comments on how you feel the golf equipment industry is doing in Ireland? Are golfers still buying every 6 to 12 months, or with the drop in people's surplus income, are golfers holding onto their equipment for longer periods of time?

Thanking you in advance

Mod Note - OP is using the information for a college assignment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

The most I would spend on a set of irons is 600 and I might go to 800 if I really like them. I have my current set for 4 years (Cobra)and my last set 10 years (cobra). I do tend to change my driver every 3 years and fairway woods the same as my irons. I just don’t feel changing the irons enhances your game to much. I only change my putter once and I am playing since I was 7 and now 43.

I think anyone changing ever year needs there head examined and I’ve never heard anyone doing that or spending that much on a set of irons.

The pro in the local club is dying out and the big shops are taken over but pricing is a real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

Hello everyone

I'm doing a quick survey about how much you would spend on a set of irons and have 2 questions. I would be extremely grateful for any input you might have.

1. Would you pay €3000 for a set of irons?

2. Do you believe that because a set might cost €3000, that it has to be better than a set that costs 1/3 or even 1/4 the price?

Also, I would love your comments on how you feel the golf equipment industry is doing in Ireland? Are golfers still buying every 6 to 12 months, or with the drop in people's surplus income, are golfers holding onto their equipment for longer periods of time?

Thanking you in advance

Pretty scientific

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

1. No. At that price they would want to put the ball in the hole for me.
    2. You would like to think so, but marketing is a very powerful tool to make people part with their money. Some of the best golfers I know have been holding onto their clubs for years. Why would they change when their existing kit is suits their needs?

There is some outrageous value to be had with private sellers on second hand equipment in excellent condition. Particularly the UK based buy and sell groups. Saw a lad recently sell a full bag of almost new ping irons and woods for £600 with barely a mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No and no.

If I had 3 grand to blow on a set of irons, I'd spend €1000 on the irons and €2000 on lessons/coaching.

The most I'd spend would probably be up to about €850 and definitely not more than €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

No, it's my only hobbie so I spend my spare money on it but it would be well outside my comfortable range on my income.

I generally buy second hand but I would probably spend up to 1k for a custom fit set. As it is my current irons were €300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Why would someone buy a Rolex when a Casio tells the same time? Or drink a €500 bottle of wine?

It’s the same for clubs, a set of PXG mightn’t be better then a set of pings or Titleists but there’s a thrill owning something that not many have. Not everybody buys on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Not a hope of spending that amount on a set of irons.

I have been playing with set of Taylormade Rocketbladez that I picked up on adverts for €230 about 3 years ago. No intention of changing as I know I can score very well with these.

In my opinion its embarrassing to look at high handicap players that have the best of gear that at this point in their game development is not suited to their ability. Far better spent on lessons that will improve their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I wouldnt spend 3000 or anywhere near it and I think you're a lunatic if you intend to set up a market for doing just that in Ireland alone. Maybe head to the states if you fancy this kind of business model

What I would spend in parenthesis :: full set of woods(700), full set of irons(700), wedges(500), putter(50), bag(200) and shoes(100), wetgear(200) and a dozen prov's - all comes to less than 2500

And it would take me the guts of 5 years to do!

Also, no - If you're already spending upwards of 800+ on a set of irons, you're guaranteeing yourself the quality to be excellent. Going an extra 2000, the difference in quality would be tiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

1)No. Think there is a certain age bracket that spends more on golf equipment willy nilly. Mostly guys with no mortgage and grown up kids or no kids that can afford to be that flahoolock with their cash.
    2) No. Was considering buying a new set in mcguircks but the custom fitter was a pr*#k so I decided to buy a set on done deal for 150 euros and I love them Wilson v2 forged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...and you are, and you will use this info how?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Macker1 wrote: »
    Not a hope of spending that amount on a set of irons.

I have been playing with set of Taylormade Rocketbladez that I picked up on adverts for €230 about 3 years ago. No intention of changing as I know I can score very well with these.

In my opinion its embarrassing to look at high handicap players that have the best of gear that at this point in their game development is not suited to their ability. Far better spent on lessons that will improve their game.

I think new gear isn't necessarily inappropriate gear - but I agree medium/high handicappers struggling to hit soft balls with stiff bladed clubs is a bit excruciating to watch.

But if someone wants to spring for a new set of the latest cavity backed ultra-forgiving irons then that's a matter for them.

I must admit to spending inappropriate amounts on gear - but nothing like €3k!!

The way I see it is that I enjoy my golf - it's now my main pastime/hobby/sport - and I want gear that suits my game and looks good (yes, I'm that shallow) - so when Ping replace the iron-set or woods I use with their next iteration I usually take the opportunity to trade and upgrade (so that's about once every 2 years) and I always get them fitted.....

......as they say golf and sex are two of the few activities you can look good doing, be bad at.....but still enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

No & no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Why would someone buy a Rolex when a Casio tells the same time? Or drink a €500 bottle of wine?

And yet, some do. By that logic we would all drive Dacia Dusters. They get you from A to B, just like that Aston Martin. But we don't all drive Dacias.

I know such sets of irons exist. From what I see it's small exclusive bespoke set brands. I wouldn't by the way. You can achieve close to the same for less and I dont earn enough money for that kind of stuff anyway. My iron set cost me 450 and all my woods are 2nd hand.

But its all relative. If you had a lot disposable income and it barely makes a dent in your finances you might just buy a Rolex. Why not?

We all know even if you spend a thousand Euro on a new set its been assembled in some minimal wage place for maximum profit and barely meets tolerances etc. In todays market 3000 is hardly a rolls royce of golf clubs. Unfortunately. It will just about get you something that is actually hand made and assembled with care and properly fitted. Its not like they're gold encrusted or something. So I think if you're serious enough about your golf and the money is not a problem then you just might. Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Who in the name of god EVER spent 3k on a set of irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Here's a bit of a braindump, don't know if this helps in anyway, it may not all make sense.

In general, the only clubs I'm happy to buy new are wedges. As wedges tend to wear over time and need to be replaced. I'll try get these if there's a sale.

I've also bought a new driver before where I felt the new model was demonstrably better than what I had.

I like forged irons, small face, lightly cavitied, not too much offset. Pretty sure each serious manufacturer puts out something similar for approx €800-1100 new. There is no performance difference between manufacturers, and there is really no effective difference between new and used clubs that are 2-3 years old.

Forged irons do wear slightly over time, the more lofted irons pw,9i 8i can lose some groove performance and all clubs get dinged from bag clatter. For forged irons this happens much faster. But forged irons are still more in demand. It takes a long time to reduce the life of clubs. I still expect my irons to still be in almost perfect shape many years from now.

I've had both an adams long iron and a ping iron both separately lose a weight off the back of the iron heads (poor manufacturing). I avoid both these brands now.

I don't buy iron sets new. There's no advantage to me. I'd probably feel a little bit silly playing a 3k set of irons. I would never pay 3k for irons when there are so much more cost-effective alternative options.

In my opinion, the manufacturers who want to try increase sales to 'serious' golfers might look at making clubs feel nicer to hit than their competitors by producing clubs with a softer material and hence a more limited lifespan. Proof that golfers may be okay with this model, as badly explained above is that, 1) Wedges are often considered 'wear' items and are replaced as necessary. 2) Forged irons are more desirable than cast irons and generally priced higher, despite the fact that they wear more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I'm very close to buying the TM P770s but i have credit which should cover 1/3rd of the cost. Never 3,000.

I could spend 3k on all 14 clubs, trolley and bag no problem but not in my current financial position with new gaff and wedding coming up. As others have also said, i can play well using what I got at the moment so I don't see the need to upgrade too much. Maybe in 30/40 years when house is paid off and kids aren't depending on me I could spend that much.

Love the look and feel of a few scotty camerons but my 2009 £45 second hand odyysey marxman will last me another 10 years and I putt really well with it, maybe a regrip and a new cover to satisfy the urge for something new if that arises.

I just do not understand why amateur golfers buy any irons that cost even close to 1K.

All the 'players' irons are practically the same and all the GI irons are practically the same.

Finding the correct weight shaft for your swing is the most important thing you can do.This takes time and experimentation. Not paying a fitter 50 quid to hit 100 balls in 30 minutes. After that its the bend profile

Which do you prefer? Butt soft tip stiff shafts like DG or the opposite like PX. If you dont even know what im talking about and you are considering paying 1k for a set of irons, ur mad.

Spend time learning what you like before paying someone who has only seen you swing once a shed load of money. A pro can go to a fitter and explain what he likes. The average amateur cant even articulate that that to a fitter.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Most mainstream brands price their clubs from €700-1000 so I'm not sure how its inconceivable to see an amateur paying €1000 for a set of clubs.

If your not sure about swing weights, length, lie angle why not go to someone who does know and has the equipment match.

How many amateurs have the tools to change clubs or even measuring equipment to fit themselves?

To be fair alot of Tour Pro's don't have a clue what shaft is even in their clubs.

You want a players set of irons. Walk into any shop and pick up a Wilson V6, Titleist CB, Titleist Ap2, Mizuno Mp18 SC. Pick any one of the heads that 'suit' your eye. The past six years of any of these models are practically the same. For example Id challenge anyone to hit say an MP57 against MP18SC in a 'blind' test and tell the difference.

Overall weight is more important than swingweight. Someone can get a club to weigh 20g less overall but swingweight out heavier. After overall weight you can determine length yourself. Spray some powder on the face and look at impact position and adjust grip down etc.

Im not a clubfitter but ive bought and sold a lot of second hand clubs over the past few years to experiment. Its a hobby and your knowledge of your own swing and abilities improves as a result.

Im sorry but your post just highlights your lack of knowledge about clubfitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

€3000 is crazy money and no chance of me spending that much on items that are outmoded within a year ! the club makers are taking the piss these days as they just change a letter in the name and switch colours in order to sell you the latest must have club.

I spent €550 on my TM R11s over 4 years ago, I'm now looking to trade up and expect I will be shopping in the €700/€800 range (less trade in of course).

I'm very close to buying the TM P770s but i have credit which should cover 1/3rd of the cost. Never 3,000.

712/714 CB or AP2, Wilson V2/V4. Mizuno any MP, Callaway Apex Pro 2014,
    put same shaft in all of these and the P770 and i guarantee you marginal difference. In terms of performance waste of money, if you just want them and like the look then fire away but don't kid yourself that they are any different to anything else in that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You want a players set of irons. Walk into any shop and pick up a Wilson V6, Titleist CB, Titleist Ap2, Mizuno Mp18 SC. Pick any one of the heads that 'suit' your eye. The past six years of any of these models are practically the same. For example Id challenge anyone to hit say an MP57 against MP18SC in a 'blind' test and tell the difference.

Overall weight is more important than swingweight. Someone can get a club to weigh 20g less overall but swingweight out heavier. After overall weight you can determine length yourself. Spray some powder on the face and look at impact position and adjust grip down etc.

Im not a clubfitter but ive bought and sold a lot of second hand clubs over the past few years to experiment. Its a hobby and your knowledge of your own swing and abilities improves as a result.

Im sorry but your post just highlights your lack of knowledge about clubfitting.

Sorry i deleted my reply before you responded, I didnt want to bring it to club fitting after all the other threads.

Sorry but I just don't think thats relevant to the OP,if you bought them new in 2014 or 2017, whether they are all the same or not, you WILL pay close to 1000 euro.

If I know so little about club fitting, and I'd say I know a little more than your normal club golfer , why would your average golfer not use someone who does it for a living for a small bump in the cost?

I'm pretty sure the OP was refering to new irons when he mentioned the prices so changing or buying and selling clubs just wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think the questions are a bit odd and vague.
    Almost every leading brand have their premium product priced around 1000, think the epics are near the crazy price of 2.
    PXG irons maybe more but no I don't think they would give any better performance.

I don't believe the Irish market is Luke the American one where lots of golfers change clubs with every release, here we tend to hang on to clubs that are working for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Are golfers still buying every 6 to 12 months, or with the drop in people's surplus income, are golfers holding onto their equipment for longer periods of time?
    ]

when you say buying every 6-12 months what do you mean?
    you were specifically asking about iron sets so my first impression was that you thought golfers changer their irons every 6-12 months or at least used to. this is not and never has been the case for any golfer who is not on the pro circuit and even those guys would probably get a year out of a set of irons

if you spend €1,000+ on a full set of irons including wedges you are going to be getting decent stuff. i think mine were close to €1,500 for 3-pw +52 +58. I was happy with that price, but i also reckon spending any more will make nearly no difference at all if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I just do not understand why amateur golfers buy any irons that cost even close to 1K.

All the 'players' irons are practically the same and all the GI irons are practically the same.

Finding the correct weight shaft for your swing is the most important thing you can do.This takes time and experimentation. Not paying a fitter 50 quid to hit 100 balls in 30 minutes. After that its the bend profile

Which do you prefer? Butt soft tip stiff shafts like DG or the opposite like PX. If you dont even know what im talking about and you are considering paying 1k for a set of irons, ur mad.

Spend time learning what you like before paying someone who has only seen you swing once a shed load of money. A pro can go to a fitter and explain what he likes. The average amateur cant even articulate that that to a fitter.

Yeah i have no idea what you are on about to be honest and some of your points (especially the last one) are the reason why I haven't bit the bullet yet and bought them.

3 fitters have now had me on different shafts/heads. The TM rep/fitter was the only one who spoke to me about why the shaft suited my swing but it was all over my head. The other two were pointing to the distance increases when we made a switch but i know some of the lofts were stronger which made me dubious about their approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP doesn't seem to interested in this assignment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I would never dream of spending €3000 on a set of irons even if I could easily afford it. There are lots of very good irons that would be as good for me. My game isn't good enough to warrant spending loads on irons.

"Are golfers still buying every 6 to 12 months". I didn't think that the majority of golfers ever bought that frequently. Maybe one or two clubs or shoes but not a full set of irons every 6 months or even every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Wedges the only new clubs I buy new with any consistency, like one of the previous posters. Second hand clubs my preference; I am a divil for experimenting with drivers and 3 woods mind you.

I buy my irons new but am reasonably good for sticking with them. Ive had 4 sets in maybe 15 years, with the most expensive being a set of 712 ap2s that were paid for by credit with my pro. Current set are 18 month old cobra blades that I picked up brand new for £350 from an English online store.

3k is crazy money, couldnt justify that kind of purchase. Even if I had it 😞

Advertisement