Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DL Harbour Terminal new life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Possible - let's see if the investment happens, also are they prepared to commit funds without tenants signed up? Harbour Company had been talking recently about letting it out to a tech company, looks like that didn't come to fruition so this is the next plan. The workers can all live in the proposed floating houses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plan-to-provide-floating-homes-in-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-harbour-1.3206664

from what I can gather, this will also include a pay as you go type facility where you can rent a desk, or just use the meeting rooms. Kind of like the better known "We Work" premises. ideal for start ups and entrepreneurs who need somewhere to hold business meetings without having to go to the expense or renting a full office.

it is a great idea and I wish them the best of luck with it, it could be a major boost for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I do admit to having a little bit of insider info on this one and have been waiting to see the publicity begin.

The private investment is essentially committed and public money is not part of the equation at all. Planning talks have beem ongoing for quite a while and that path is basically clear.

As I understand it, the feasibility work has been extensive and there is a massive excess of demand for these kind of 'maker spaces' in the City centre. A quality space with a critical mass of tenants is very achieveable as this location has everything, the best public transport connectivity in the region, bar the City, and suitable support businesses nearby.

Ask me again in 2019, but Im backing this to be a gamechanger, both for the life of the town and the investment community in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I do admit to having a little bit of insider info on this one and have been waiting to see the publicity begin.

The private investment is essentially committed and public money is not part of the equation at all. Planning talks have beem ongoing for quite a while and that path is basically clear.

As I understand it, the feasibility work has been extensive and there is a massive excess of demand for these kind of 'maker spaces' in the City centre. A quality space with a critical mass of tenants is very achieveable as this location has everything, the best public transport connectivity in the region, bar the City, and suitable support businesses nearby.

Ask me again in 2019, but Im backing this to be a gamechanger, both for the life of the town and the investment community in the area.

This really has serious potential and given the outside investment (rather than relying on the Harbour Company bank balance), it looks like it will happen too. I just hope that some of the naysayers (so beloved of our town!) don't find a reason to object and stall the project. Even those (like me) who wish to see the return of shipping to the Harbour see this one as a no-brainer that can only help both Harbour and Town in the future!

Simon

Advertisement