Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD took my no claims bonus

Options
  • 02-11-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi ive had commercial insurance with fbd on and off for the last ten years , n October 2015 I moved to zurich as they were cheaper , no problems there , I got a copy of my ncb from fbd and gave it to Zurich.
    In 2016 I moved back to fbd as they were cheaper.
    Now in 2017 I've moved to axa as they were cheaper, they requested my Ncb so I contacted fbd to forward me a copy of my ncb and they told me my last policy was rated on a ( non no claim discount earning basis) so basically they have deleted my full ncb without ever telling me .

Is this legal or can anyone give me any info on what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They normally have an option to add NCB protection to the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

^ That only applies if there was a claim.

Never heard of this before. Sounds crazy, but then I never had commercial insurance, could be different there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Op did you change to a car somewhere in the meantime? I lost ncb because I changed to a car

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭twin27

Op did you change to a car somewhere in the meantime? I lost ncb because I changed to a car

No , and haven't had any claim , as I say they just won't give me anything to say I had a full ncb when I went with them last year.
    I wonder is it a scam to stop people from moving to another company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Is there any difference in type of vehicle being covered before and now? That sounds bizarre btw, has to be more to it than the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No Claims Bonuses have no legal standing. Insurers are free to use, ignore or reject them as they deem fit. Basically, they are a marketing tool. FBD have a product which is flat rated and ignores NCB.

However, under regulations, an insurer is obliged to provide you with written confirmation of claim free driving while you are with them. Add this to your previous NCB letter and your new insurer will accept it. Nothing has been taken from you.

No Claims Bonuses have no legal standing. Insurers are free to use, ignore or reject them as they deem fit. Basically, they are a marketing tool. FBD have a product which is flat rated and ignores NCB..

That makes no sense for a big insurance company to just ignore an NCB and not honour it, if this caught on Joe Duffy lines would explode!

Why would an insurance company ignore a perfectly good customer who is claims free and has proof of same, it does not stand up in this case unless they had other concerns but even still it would be harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

twin27 wrote:
    No , and haven't had any claim , as I say they just won't give me anything to say I had a full ncb when I went with them last year. I wonder is it a scam to stop people from moving to another company?

Your ncb is good for 2 years. Can you get a copy from the company before FBD? I know it won't cover last year but it might be enough for your new company.

I've never heard of it either btw

Sono wrote:
    That makes no sense for a big insurance company to just ignore an NCB and not honour it, if this caught on Joe Duffy lines would explode!

Sono wrote:
    Why would an insurance company ignore a perfectly good customer who is claims free and has proof of same, it does not stand up in this case unless they had other concerns but even still it would be harsh.

I don't think you grasp what happened when the insured went to FBD at last renewal. They quoted a premium which ignored the principle of NCB which was cheaper than the the insurer he was with at the time. Happy days! There are numerous motor products out there that do the same. The insured has not lost anything.

Joe Duffy my hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

There should be a no-claims certificate for the insured period with your renewal. Add this to the other certificates you get every year and you're oxo!

• Advertisement

I don't think you grasp what happened when the insured went to FBD at last renewal. They quoted a premium which ignored the principle of NCB which was cheaper than the the insurer he was with at the time. Happy days! There are numerous motor products out there that do the same. The insured has not lost anything.

Joe Duffy my hole!
    Yes but they never informed me at the time that if I leave them next year they will not give me any proof of my ncb! Then obviously I would NOT have taken out a policy with them.

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    There should be a no-claims certificate for the insured period with your renewal. Add this to the other certificates you get every year and you're oxo!

That's the thing , there wasn't any proof or anything written on my renewal about my ncb.

twin27 wrote:
    Yes but they never informed me at the time that if I leave them next year they will not give me any proof of my ncb! Then obviously I would NOT have taken out a policy with them.

But you have lost nothing. FBD will confirm you were insured claim free November 16 to November 17. Add this to your NCB from last year and you have your full entitlement acceptable to any future insurer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

twin27 wrote: »
    That's the thing , there wasn't any proof or anything written on my renewal about my ncb.

FBD can give you a to whom it concerns twin27 held a policy with us for such a length and had no claim in that period
    Go get that off them

But you have lost nothing. FBD will confirm you were insured claim free November 16 to November 17. Add this to your NCB from last year and you have your full entitlement acceptable to any future insurer

Yes I contacted them and they sent out a letter to state I am claim free but my new insurance company won't accept that letter obviously , so now I have to go to my insurer from 2 yrs ago to hopefully get proof of my ncb from them.

Also on my fbd policy it states on the back page ( no claims bonus deleted)

My whole point is why wasn't I informed last year that they were going to delete my ncb...

This is complete rubbish from a so called big player in insurance, and a whole lot of hassle that I don't need . And to make matters worse I have 3 more policies with fbd and they still treat people like this.

I think you are making more of this than there is. You haven't lost anything. It is just inconvenient that you have to go to your previous insurer for a letter. I presume FBD were a good bit cheaper than your previous insurer for you to move to them, yet you say you wouldn't have changed because of this? All for the sake of now having to make a phone call.

Joe Duffy my hole!

Ah yeah I get ya!

I think you are making more of this than there is. You haven't lost anything. It is just inconvenient that you have to go to your previous insurer for a letter. I presume FBD were a good bit cheaper than your previous insurer for you to move to them, yet you say you wouldn't have changed because of this? All for the sake of now having to make a phone call.

Am hello !! It states on the paperwork ( no claims bonus deleted) does deleted not mean lost or gone?? Therefore I have lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

This doesn't sound right. I've switched between a car and a commercial numerous times and never lost my full no claims. Only my additional no claims for that year as I changed policy mid year.

However in renewal this year I received a no claims from axa stating I had 4 years. When I contacted the broker who I'd been insured with for a number of years previously they said that axa only recognise 4 years... I argued that that didn't matter as other insurers recognise the full 5 years so I wanted a cert stating that at the very least when I've over 10 years no claims. The correct paper work was sent straight out.

twin27 wrote:
    Am hello !! It states on the paperwork ( no claims bonus deleted) does deleted not mean lost or gone?? Therefore I have lost it.

It doesn't mean that at all. There would be a section on their paperwork for NCB calculations (if applicable) but it doesn't apply to your policy. Proof of consecutive claim free driving = NCB and you have that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

twin27 wrote:

The only way that I know of for losing your ncb is by putting in a claim or let your policy lapse for more than 2 years

Sleeper12 wrote:
    The only way that I know of for losing your ncb is by putting in a claim or let your policy lapse for more than 2 years

Exactly

It doesn't mean that at all. There would be a section on their paperwork for NCB calculations (if applicable) but it doesn't apply to your policy. Proof of consecutive claim free driving = NCB and you have that
    Yes so why then won't they just send me proof of ncb instead of 1 years claim free driving ? And why didn't they inform me of this company policy when they quoted me because to be fair I'm driving 20 years and this is the first time an insurance company won't give me proof of my Ncb. It's not like I'm asking for something I don't have and we'll they know it.

This doesn't sound right. I've switched between a car and a commercial numerous times and never lost my full no claims. Only my additional no claims for that year as I changed policy mid year.

However in renewal this year I received a no claims from axa stating I had 4 years. When I contacted the broker who I'd been insured with for a number of years previously they said that axa only recognise 4 years... I argued that that didn't matter as other insurers recognise the full 5 years so I wanted a cert stating that at the very least when I've over 10 years no claims. The correct paper work was sent straight out.

At least they did send it out to you , I've been speaking to fbd on 2 occasions and they won't give me the paperwork for the ncb.

twin27 wrote: »
    Yes so why then won't they just send me proof of ncb instead of 1 years claim free driving ? And why didn't they inform me of this company policy when they quoted me because to be fair I'm driving 20 years and this is the first time an insurance company won't give me proof of my Ncb. It's not like I'm asking for something I don't have and we'll they know it.

The 1 year NCB is correct as per the policy you took out with your previous insurance company. They are telling the truth

Sono wrote: »
    The 1 year NCB is correct as per the policy you took out with your previous insurance company. They are telling the truth

They never told me anything about not taking my ncb into consideration when they quoted me last yr and asked me at the time if I still had my ncb.

twin27 wrote:

Because they don't operate with the NCB system for your type of policy. Look, I appreciate it is inconvenient to make a call to your previous insurer for a letter, but trust me, this has not cost you an extra penny for your new policy

Because they don't operate with the NCB system for your type of policy. Look, I appreciate it is inconvenient to make a call to your previous insurer for a letter, but trust me, this has not cost you an extra penny for your new policy

I understand that I can get it from my previous insurer , my whole point is to make people aware of their policy because I have never come across it before and if they are going to use this without informing new clients that they will not be carrying on their ncb then at the very least their staff should be trained to explain the situation clearly for when the likes of me phones up looking for my ncb proof that they explain I need to go back to my previous insurer for it instead of just keeping repeating on the phone that I'm sorry sir but your policy was on a non no claims bonus which means feck all to me .
    Also , if I stayed with them for three years and left would that not mean my previous bonus would be gone or is there a time limit how far you can go back.

Sorry, I can't explain it any clearer than I already have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

OP you're somewhat confusing a No Claims Bonus with a Certificate of No-Claims. Just because they gave you a policy that didn't incorporate a bonus for not having made a claim doesn't mean they took away the fact that you haven't made a claim. An NCB is used to calculate your premium, a Certificate of No Claims is just a statement that you haven't made a claim.

Advertisement