Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD took my no claims bonus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭twin27

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    OP you're somewhat confusing a No Claims Bonus with a Certificate of No-Claims. Just because they gave you a policy that didn't incorporate a bonus for not having made a claim doesn't mean they took away the fact that you haven't made a claim. An NCB is used to calculate your premium, a Certificate of No Claims is just a statement that you haven't made a claim.

Yes I understand that , they gave me a certificate of no claims, but it's a statement of my no claims bonus is what I need and as I've said in a previous post the client should be made aware on taking out a policy that fbd will not be able to provide proof of their no claims bonus , should the client decide to move insurers the following year .

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I'm not following you tbh...can you explain exactly what you expect to receive from them, I don't understand what a 'statement of no-claims bonus' is. If they have calculated your premium without a bonus then clearly they can't give you a statement saying that they have given you a bonus. Unless you want a statement saying NCB = 0%. They are not obliged to give you a bonus...they offer you a premium at price and you took it. Possibly you're just looking for a breakdown of your premium which will show that no bonus was applied?

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    I'm not following you tbh...can you explain exactly what you expect to receive from them, I don't understand what a 'statement of no-claims bonus' is. If they have calculated your premium without a bonus then clearly they can't give you a statement saying that they have given you a bonus. Unless you want a statement saying NCB = 0%. They are not obliged to give you a bonus...they offer you a premium at price and you took it. Possibly you're just looking for a breakdown of your premium which will show that no bonus was applied?

Hi , ok , last year I insured my jeep with fbd and I had proof from my previous insurer that I had a full no claims bonus I.e 5 plus yrs.

Bearing in mind they never told me anything about my premium being calculated without a bonus as I told them I had a 5 year + no claims bonus I went ahead and took out a policy with them.

Now oct 17 my insurance was up for renewal and I've moved to another insurance company as they were cheaper but I have to forward on a copy of my 5yrs+ ncb which is standard with most insurance companies so I contact fbd for same and this is where the problem is , they told me they deleted my ncb but gave me a letter saying I had 1 yr with themselves claims free .

Hope that clears it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

OP, are you saying that you suspect that you were mis-sold an insurance product?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Somewhat. FBD won't give you a No Claims cert for years that you weren't insured with them (for obvious reasons). You can't expect them to say that you didn't make a claim in years you weren't insured with them, they couldn't stand over that. Also the statue of limitations is 2 years so it's even possible to have a claim off your previous insurance at this stage.
    Your new insurance company is looking for evidence of your no-claims period of 5 years...it doesn't have to be just from fbd. As long as the dates match up for each of your insurers then it's fine. You just have to get the certs from the other insurance companies. For private motor insurance they are obliged to issue the cert every year - it comes with the renewal quote.
    Would you accept the word of a mechanic that a 15 year old car had a perfect mechanical history if it somehow only had one nct certificate for the past year?

• Advertisement

OP, are you saying that you suspect that you were mis-sold an insurance product?

If there is such a thing , I just always presumed if you took out insurance holding a full no claims bonus that if you didn't make any claims on that policy then you should be able to get it in writing that you still hold that bonus because you didn't make any claims. When I took out that policy I was not made aware that I would not be able to get proof anymore from that company of my no claims bonus. I guess you could be right .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How can you expect to get a no claims bonus confirmation from a policy that didnt use a no claims bonus in its premium calculation?

A letter stating you had no claim is all that you'll ever get in the circumstances. After that it's between you and your new insurer.

How can you expect to get a no claims bonus confirmation from a policy that didnt use a no claims bonus in its premium calculation?

A letter stating you had no claim is all that you'll ever get in the circumstances. After that it's between you and your new insurer.

Why wasnt all that explained to me so when I got my quotation because I've never heard of that and I'm driving 21 years and never had a policy with ncb deleted written on it..they still didn't clarify it to me on the phone last week like you just did so to me it sounded as if it was gone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

twin27 wrote: »
    Why wasnt all that explained to me so when I got my quotation because I've never heard of that and I'm driving 21 years and never had a policy with ncb deleted written on it..they still didn't clarify it to me on the phone last week like you just did so to me it sounded as if it was gone .

It was explained, you just didn't read it or if you did read it didn't understand what you were reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

This is how I have dissected this scenario

OP has vehicle 1 with 5yrs hard earned NCB upto 2016.
    OP bought new-to-them Jeep to have as 2nd vehicle
    FBD gave favourable premium using a Mirror NCB %/accelerated % to cover the jeep
    Renewal ‘17 OP now has 1yr hard earned NCB

If OP explained to new company that’s he’s owned jeep for 5yrs then they looking for 5yrs earned NCB

FBD are 100% correct in issuing 1yr NCB.
    If vehicle 1 Policy was cancelled in ‘16 and cancelled NCB given to FBD then and only then could they give OP 5yrs earned

PM me if you wanna chat offline as u just frustrating yourself reading text here

No I’m not FBD staff !!!

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    This is how I have dissected this scenario

OP has vehicle 1 with 5yrs hard earned NCB upto 2016.
    OP bought new-to-them Jeep to have as 2nd vehicle
    FBD gave favourable premium using a Mirror NCB %/accelerated % to cover the jeep
    Renewal ‘17 OP now has 1yr hard earned NCB

If OP explained to new company that’s he’s owned jeep for 5yrs then they looking for 5yrs earned NCB

FBD are 100% correct in issuing 1yr NCB.
    If vehicle 1 Policy was cancelled in ‘16 and cancelled NCB given to FBD then and only then could they give OP 5yrs earned

PM me if you wanna chat offline as u just frustrating yourself reading text here

No I’m not FBD staff !!!

Appreciate the offer .im getting copy from my previous insurer now so all should be sorted. Won't be goin back to fbd again . Thanks to all who contributed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

twin27 wrote: »

I can't answer that one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Oh so this is on a second vehicle? Not your primary vehicle... Because in that case your no claims can only be active on one policy at a time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Why don't you just contact Zurich and get NCB cert from year before? I had to do this previously to prove continuous NCB to an insurer so it shouldn't be an issue.

Just read bit about second vehicle - is this accurate? If so, you can't use 1 no claims history on 2 policies.

Advertisement