Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Givi topbox limitations

• 02-11-2017 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I have a Givi E450 Simply II Monolock. 45ltr capacity, but only 3kg weight. Came with the bike.

Is that really all the weight that the box is capable of carrying?

My commute is quite short (18km) and I haven't had to make it when it's really pissing down yet. How water resistant are these cases normally? Does anyone take steps to waterproof the contents any? Normally it's a regular laptop bag that I carry in there, then swap it for helmet and gloves on arrival. Something like a rollup bag is what I was imagining, but I don't want to start solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The top box is at the extreme rear of the bike so any weight there will effect the bikes handling, the other issue is that the bars supporting the tail section of a bike aren't designed for carrying weight so they aren't robust.

For the waterproofness. I got a top box off a friend who'd used it couriering. Was caught at the top of an Alpine pass and it started to absolutely hammer down so much that there was a few cm of water on the road and some parts had little rivers. Contents of the box were still dry, though I did have my clothes in a Kreiger US30 as I wasn't sure of box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi op I have this box. It's extremely waterproof. I've never had a leak in it. Mine carries my laptop bag daily.

As for weight. I've carried a core drill and it's box which weighed about 10kg in the box and tied in with straps.

I've carried many other large items in it with no issues.

Great box for a commute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Have had one of those for years on the bike when touring. Great box, and takes two full face lids easily.
    Unless it's really hoofing it down they are fairly waterproof.
    If you are unsure, cut down a black bin sack to put things in and fold over the top so that any water that may get in doesn't dampen whatever you are carrying. Check the sack regularly, as it can get punctured underneath with loose items shifting around.
    Condensation can be a problem if you've been out in the wet and leave it closed overnight (mine does occasionally), but leaving it open in the garage or house overnight after wiping it down keeps it dry inside.
    As for the 3kg limit, I'm sure I've over-packed mine from time to time. I squeezed enough change of clothes into it for 2 weeks away in Holland a few years ago, but in fairness I did wrap a spider bungy around it and hooked back onto the rack for a bit of extra 'insurance'.
    I also fitted the light fitting into the lid, and hooked it into the brake circuit. Yes, it is a bit dear for what it is, but I think the extra brake light is worth the expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've had one for years, 3kgs?.. I've had many times that in mine. I used to be amazed at how much weight and items I could fit into mine.

Fantastic boxes and well able for much more weight than 3kgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Huge difference between Monolock and Monokey.

Monolock is cheaper, usually smaller and aimed at scooters, low weight capacity and the mounting kits are weaker.

Monokey are better made, stronger and 10kg capacity (I'm sure I've gone way over that too)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Huge difference between Monolock and Monokey.

Monolock is cheaper, usually smaller and aimed at scooters, low weight capacity and the mounting kits are weaker.

Monokey are better made, stronger and 10kg capacity (I'm sure I've gone way over that too)
    Yeah, this one is monolock. When I get my next bike, which will probably be 2019 unless I get bored with the FZ6 before then, I'll look at something bigger that also comes with a handle for carrying when disengaged from the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

the 3kg is a liability thing I'd imagine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

^^^^ WHS.

I used to have a detachable Rickman top box with (as well as a weight restriction) 90km/h max sticker inside it.

The box itself will handle loads. Do it all the time and expect broken carrier frames, etc. It's not so much the static weight that wrecks carrier frames, but the bouncing up and down fatigues them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

macplaxton wrote: »
    ^^^^ WHS.

I used to have a detachable Rickman top box with (as well as a weight restriction) 90km/h max sticker inside it.

The box itself will handle loads. Do it all the time and expect broken carrier frames, etc. It's not so much the static weight that wrecks carrier frames, but the bouncing up and down fatigues them.

If you damage a carrier box bouncing up and down I suggest taking your bike a different route as it's not only thing that will damage. :)

Advertisement